Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1954 Bundespost Barndoor
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

Looking forward to that camp interior Wink

bathtub57 wrote:
There is obviously a long way to go yet. I have a few options engine wise, from big type iv to the stock 30hp motor.

Interior wise I have the front and rear seats which I'll probably use for now. The plan is to use it for HO22 so a camping interior may need to go in at some point and I have something pretty special for that Very Happy

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

Sprints looked really good on there. I'm not sure what the issue with offset was?

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
Sprints looked really good on there. I'm not sure what the issue with offset was?

I’d originally planned to build it stock as I had all the running gear and a lovely month correct BD engine so no tubbing. That has changed today which may free up wheel options. OG sprints are my #1 choice for sure.
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

Tubs..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

I went to visit Irv and the team last week and had a great time as always! The Postbus is really coming along now. All the running gear is on, brakes plumbed in and suspension sorted. Wiring is next on the list and a 1600 TP engine.

The patina looks amazing (if you are into that sort of thing and I know a lot aren’t) it looks nuts! It will tone down when polished out and waxed but it looks like a swamp thing right now.

The interior is basic at best - dash pod and a rubber mat are all the luxuries going in, maybe door cards..

johnny d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

I love it! Well done.
&
VWKernzentrale since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

What an incredible transformation Applause
1964 Chop Top
ElStiemo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

Incredible! Back from the dead! Shocked Laughing
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

bathtub57 wrote:
Tubs..

that shows one of the (to me) most significant issues with tubs. The seat is too high for a normal height person to still look out the window.

I would have to notch the seat frame to get it back down to normal height. I know people don't like cutting up the seat frames, but it would have to happen. Maybe make a custom frame?

Would also allow the back rest to function as stock.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

Yeah I have the same issue (Stock 60 Kombi) I am 5’11” but I have a long torso and short legs so I end up hunched over like I guess a 6’2” person would be.

I love this bus and the build. I have to say I like what you say about buffing out the Faxtina. For me its doing more to take away from the original patina than help it at the moment and I just cant see past it.

When it’s more preserved scrap than Fax’ swap I think it will be the absolute tits

Great job and big balls to keep throwing out the $$$$ while its getting chopped to bits.

What’s the engine status?

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies guys, it’s certainly a conversation piece, for both good and bad reasons, I quite enjoy that part of the hobby and enjoy the feedback either way.

Pic outside today with a younger sibling.

The seat has been done really well, the back works perfectly and the height, for me anyway works well. Lee, one of Irv’s guys fabricated it all, the tubs are pretty small and he made stops to tilt the seat base back so it all operates correctly. The fact that there is bugger all stuffing in the seat probably helps too. I’ll get some better pictures at some point. . I certainly was not going to chop up a really nice original material barn door seat, I’ll leave that for the next owner!

The bigger issue for me is the steering wheel height because of the steering box raise so something needs to be done about that at some point.

Engine wise it will have a 1600 or 1641 twin port, something quite mundane for now anyway so we can get it on the road and have some fun.

Sadly the weather is closing in now so probably won’t get to use it too much but hopefully on the road very soon.
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

Bendango wrote:

I love this bus and the build. I have to say I like what you say about buffing out the Faxtina. For me its doing more to take away from the original patina than help it at the moment and I just cant see past it.

When it’s more preserved scrap than Fax’ swap I think it will be the absolute tits

I agree 100%
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

Some recent pics now the post bus is back with its new interior. I had a front and rear seat which will suffice pending getting a middle seat or some other arrangement for the cargo area.

Sam did an amazing job on the seats re-padding them and sticking to the brief of a very simple job on the door cards and rubber mats.

Cab area

Cargo area

Revel in the luxurious interior

Work stalled whilst Volksworld projects took over but will be full steam ahead after the weekend to get it wired and engine in ready to roll for the spring.
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

What’s the volksworld project? Build thread or just a reveal at the show?

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

Bendango wrote:
What’s the volksworld project? Build thread or just a reveal at the show?

Two Barndoor reveals Very Happy (not both mine by the way!)
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

bathtub57 wrote:
Revel in the luxurious interior

Posh! Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

Great work and bringing another BD to life! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
myklsmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

"It sure would but no, this is 100% stock, everything is ready and waiting now we found a motor (thanks Martin and Irv). We are hoping that a Deutsche Post bus in original condition will be an interesting talking point at Hessich"

I just read through the whole thread and found this a little humorous. Deviated from the 100% stock a bit. Laughing

But I'm partial to lowered BD's so well done! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kafer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

This thing is TITS!!!!!
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 Bundespost Barndoor Reply with quote

myklsmyth wrote:
"It sure would but no, this is 100% stock, everything is ready and waiting now we found a motor (thanks Martin and Irv). We are hoping that a Deutsche Post bus in original condition will be an interesting talking point at Hessich"

I just read through the whole thread and found this a little humorous. Deviated from the 100% stock a bit. Laughing

But I'm partial to lowered BD's so well done! Cool

Ooops! Ah well, all OG parts available if anyone wants to convert it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: