Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Very strange "no power" phenomenon with '89 2.1 (SOLVED)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Very strange "no power" phenomenon with '89 2.1 (SOLVED) Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
It isn’t your running problem but on your distributor photos I don’t see a dust cap below the rotor.
If you look closely at the installed distributor cap without the dust cap installed there will Be play….. side to side rotational wiggle in the cap.
The alignment slot on the distributor body is milled Wider that the molded tang on the distributor cap.
It isn’t much but can affect your timing a fraction either way.

Dave

Wiggle in the cap does not change timing.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Very strange "no power" phenomenon with '89 2.1 (SOLVED) Reply with quote

New Coil and plug wires are in. While the symptoms have not returned, this was originally an intermittent issue so it remains to be seen if I am out of the woods.

NOID light (BOSCH2) is in the mail and I am looking for a timing gun locally as additional diagnostic tools.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Very strange "no power" phenomenon with '89 2.1 (SOLVED) Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
djkeev wrote:
It isn’t your running problem but on your distributor photos I don’t see a dust cap below the rotor.
If you look closely at the installed distributor cap without the dust cap installed there will Be play….. side to side rotational wiggle in the cap.
The alignment slot on the distributor body is milled Wider that the molded tang on the distributor cap.
It isn’t much but can affect your timing a fraction either way.

Dave

Wiggle in the cap does not change timing.

Explain how it does not….. left right cap rotation on distributor body sure will change when the spark is delivered.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Very strange "no power" phenomenon with '89 2.1 (SOLVED) Reply with quote

Hi Both Daves:

The rotor tip is wide enough to cover about 25 degrees of distributor rotation, which is equal to about 50 degrees of crankshaft rotation. This is intended by the factory to allow the full range of spark advance without having to rotate the rotor by a similar amount. The timing of the spark is affected only by the location of the Hall Sender windows and the ECU spark map. So long as the 50 degree overlap in the rotor-to-cap gap exists, the spark timing remains the same.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Very strange "no power" phenomenon with '89 2.1 (SOLVED) Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
Hi Both Daves:

The rotor tip is wide enough to cover about 25 degrees of distributor rotation, which is equal to about 50 degrees of crankshaft rotation. This is intended by the factory to allow the full range of spark advance without having to rotate the rotor by a similar amount. The timing of the spark is affected only by the location of the Hall Sender windows and the ECU spark map. So long as the 50 degree overlap in the rotor-to-cap gap exists, the spark timing remains the same.

this is entirely correct. and if the cap contact was way beyond the rotor contact with even greater degrees, it would only change the timing by the arc length X speed of electricity ionizing the air gap ... about 100,000 mph. a rilly rilly small amount.

timing is created by the fixed dist gear and the movable base position of the Hall sensor pickup around the window slots cut in the aluminum shutter wheel, which is firmly attached to the fixed gear below. the cap and rotor only serve to crudely point the spark at the correct cylinder after the body of dist/ECU says spark NOW!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Very strange "no power" phenomenon with '89 2.1 (SOLVED) Reply with quote

As an update to this thread, I have purchased a NOID light and all 4 of my injectors are working properly.

I am currently sourcing a timing light (willing to pay for shipping if anyone has a spare!!) and I am also using the aforementioned thread to build my hall sensor tester. I will advise once I have further updates on timing / hall sensor.

Although the poor running problem is still intermittently present, it is by no means a show stopper, though I’d like to get it solved before it ends up stranding me this winter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: