Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things told not to do t, yet car has been running for years
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Things told not to do t, yet car has been running for years Reply with quote

Back in the mid 70's Dad and I rebuilt a 1600 SP for his Bus and used a new 30mm aftermarket oil pump. The pump was obviously of dubious quality because it only produced 20 psi at full song on the highway and left the oil light flickering at idle. I was all for pulling the engine and replacing the oil pump but Dad said just leave it, it's getting oil and that is all it needs.

Dad put 50k miles on that engine and pulled it out when the flywheel seal failed and dumped all the oil on the driveway. We shelved the engine for future consideration and put the rebuilt original one back in.

Many years later I acquired a sand rail and pulled this old 1600 SP out of storage as a quick "let's get this thing running" measure. Knowing the oil pressure was low I didn't bother with an oil pressure gauge or even an idiot light. We ran that engine for 6 summers that way and just replaced it this spring because it was starting to smoke a bit from worn rings!
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Things told not to do t, yet car has been running for years Reply with quote

Never ran a motor with a thermostat and working flaps.
Put over 10 years of driving on a "see through" distributor cap.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Things told not to do t, yet car has been running for years Reply with quote

Ha, See thru Plastic Distributor -- for sure was another No NO !!

You proved them wrong!!!
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Things told not to do t, yet car has been running for years Reply with quote

Another, you have to use braided oil hose to your external oil cooler!

Nope, as long as you use lines made for oil, I have seen many of my T-4 customers running them to there coolers for years.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Things told not to do t, yet car has been running for years Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
Intelligence is knowing the correct way to do things.

Wisdom is knowing what you can do wrong, and still get away with.

Truth here.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Things told not to do t, yet car has been running for years Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
Another, you have to use braided oil hose to your external oil cooler!

Nope, as long as you use lines made for oil, I have seen many of my T-4 customers running them to there coolers for years.

The 1/2" I.D. non-braided oil lines to my fan shroud mounted external oil cooler started seeping at their ends after 31 years of use in Arizona desert on my 1835cc engine. So I recommend changing out such hoses every 30 years.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: