Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Converting Rear Brakes to Disc
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Rear Brakes to Disc Reply with quote

space wrote:

Same results different vender
After changing out the drums I dont feel the need for BBK in front

thats encouraging

my plan was to remove the rear drums and refresh whats already there up front.

ive yet to feel like im lacking in braking power but generally have a dislike of drum maintenance
as its time to refresh the rear brakes - for not much more money i could remove them entirely which is quite appealing.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Rear Brakes to Disc Reply with quote

were i to go this way i would be looking at an electronic parking brake setup. if i was going to upgrade i'd deep 6 the cables all together.

VAG can't make a mechanical caliper worth a shit, at least not here in the north east. the stupid screw mechanism that walks the piston out has always been a huge pain in the ass here.

add to that cables that have the exposed ends (even though they are plastic coated with booties) leave little to be desired. once the coating is breached corrosion balloons out the coating and the cables drag.

in 20 or so years working on those systems i have yet to replace a caliper, let alone a motor

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jalan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Rear Brakes to Disc Reply with quote

I guess my post wasn't clear enough. I do have the big brake kit on the front. It is the larger vacuum booster that I thought I might want to add that I now believe is unnecessary.

I am running larger wheels and tires, 215/65-16, big brakes up front, GoWesty discs on the rear and the stock vacuum booster.

My van is a '89 tin top powered by a '07 2.5 Subaru with a re-geared 3rd and 4th and stock 4.86 final.
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Rear Brakes to Disc Reply with quote

I'm collecting parts for the T4 based conversion and I'm starting to think through brake lines.

It seems like most of the kits out there connect to the stock flex line at the front of the trailing arm with a second long flex line. Can anyone think of a reason to not just connect directly to the hard line at the front of the trailing arm and remove the stubby stock length flex line? I can get a line with a 90° female fitting on it, so there won't be any new hard kinks, and it can then probably get routed to the trailing arm with appropriate strain relief. Or I could route it just like stock and put a bushing in the trailing arm bracket to support the line at the front of the run.

The other option is to run a short hard line from the factory flex line at the front of the arm about 1/2 or 2/3rds of the way back on the trailing arm, then get new stubby flex line to run to the caliper. I wouldn't normally consider this but I just had to order all the tools to make flared brake lines and, now that it's an option, the parts are kind of just staring at me daring me to try…

Has anyone else already run these experiments or have thoughts to share?

Thanks,

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: