Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Having issues getting 1.9 MT back in
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LBC28730
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Having issues getting 1.9 MT back in Reply with quote

Even though I'd never pulled a VW Boxer, remove was pretty straightforward and probably took less than 2hrs, being bet careful.
Head gasket replacement was also very straightforward.
Getting it back in has been quite challenging, even with a cherry picker.

I'm in a less than optimal positition and wondered what the best stand alone engine lift solution may be?
I have a lateral engine support but it won't fit this span properly.

I spent several hours trying to sort it out so I'm going to sleep on it and hope i wake up with a solution. :/

l
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Having issues getting 1.9 MT back in Reply with quote

do you have a load leveler on your lift? really helps getting the angles right to mating to trans and the lifting in place.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Having issues getting 1.9 MT back in Reply with quote

LBC28730 wrote:
Getting it back in has been quite challenging, even with a cherry picker.
I'm in a less than optimal positition and wondered what the best stand alone engine lift solution may be?
I have a lateral engine support but it won't fit this span properly.
I spent several hours trying to sort it out so I'm going to sleep on it and hope i wake up with a solution. :/

I don't want to store a cherry picker, so for solo engine installs I use:

- A clutch alignment tool (bottom)
- A 2-lift-point engine support bar (red) running fore-aft with a hydraulic jack underneath for safety.
- Ratchet strap (blue) supporting the fat end of transmission that allows me to angle the trans up/down to match the engine angle.
- Long alignment/guide Bolts through the four engine & transmissions bolt holes (yellow arrows) to line everything up inserting the spline.

When I do use a cherry picker, an engine leveler is an essential part of the kit.

Clutch alignment tool

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Having issues getting 1.9 MT back in Reply with quote

If transmission is still bolted to frame with clutch housing end low to help line up engine, maybe that's introducing an extreme angle like this ?

engine |\ tranny.

Removing the alternator might add clearance between engine to rear apron.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Having issues getting 1.9 MT back in Reply with quote

I can't tell in the pic, but you want to support the transmission. The angle is wrong if you dont, and it also moves around too much.

When I did mine, I also used a floor jack to help tilt the enging to match the angle of the supported trans

It also helps if you leverage the engine in. I used a couple of 2x2's to help press in the eng to trans (see in photo)[/img]

Note the angle of the flats on the engine support bar.

See how I have a piece of wood setting on the horizontal legs of the cherry picker? I have a small cherry picker from autozone. I rested the engine on it's legs & rolled it under the van

Also, you dont need a load leveler. You can do this with a floor jack by itself. The only reason I used the cherry picker was to keep the engine from falling off the jack. The jack is doing 90% of the work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Having issues getting 1.9 MT back in Reply with quote

Installed one with a transmission jack once, need to get that van higher though.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Having issues getting 1.9 MT back in Reply with quote

My easiest VW boxer install was with a home made hoist using 2x's and a boat winch!

Stupid easy.....

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
syncro surf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Having issues getting 1.9 MT back in Reply with quote

I've done it several times with just a floor jack under the engine and a bottle jack supporting the trans. The transmission is a bit lower than it belongs until the engine is mated, then jack the the whole thing into place.

Kind of a throwback to the aircooled days, but it has always gone fine. It's certainly easier with a helper.
LBC28730
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Having issues getting 1.9 MT back in Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
do you have a load leveler on your lift? really helps getting the angles right to mating to trans and the lifting in place.

I do actually but couldn't seem to position it to where I could actually use it.

sanchius wrote:

I don't want to store a cherry picker, so for solo engine installs I use:

- A clutch alignment tool (bottom)
- A 2-lift-point engine support bar (red) running fore-aft with a hydraulic jack underneath for safety.
- Ratchet strap (blue) supporting the fat end of transmission that allows me to angle the trans up/down to match the engine angle.
- Long alignment/guide Bolts through the four engine & transmissions bolt holes (yellow arrows) to line everything up inserting the spline.

When I do use a cherry picker, an engine leveler is an essential part of the kit.

Clutch alignment tool

That's the ticket!!!
I didn't think to mount the bar going fore and aft!
I have that same thing and that will allow me to line it up, even on the less than optimal surface I am working with!

Thanks!

Vanagon Nut wrote:
If transmission is still bolted to frame with clutch housing end low to help line up engine, maybe that's introducing an extreme angle like this ?

engine |\ tranny.

Removing the alternator might add clearance between engine to rear apron.

Neil.

Definitely, I just needed more ideas to get it lined up.

Good call on the Alternator, I had actually removed it for more clearance.

tjet wrote:
I can't tell in the pic, but you want to support the transmission. The angle is wrong if you dont, and it also moves around too much.

When I did mine, I also used a floor jack to help tilt the enging to match the angle of the supported trans

It also helps if you leverage the engine in. I used a couple of 2x2's to help press in the eng to trans (see in photo)[/img]

Note the angle of the flats on the engine support bar.

See how I have a piece of wood setting on the horizontal legs of the cherry picker? I have a small cherry picker from autozone. I rested the engine on it's legs & rolled it under the van

Also, you dont need a load leveler. You can do this with a floor jack by itself. The only reason I used the cherry picker was to keep the engine from falling off the jack. The jack is doing 90% of the work

Very nice.
I just couldn't visualize how to use my red engine support but I think that will end up being key given the gravel I have to work with.

davlance01 wrote:
Installed one with a transmission jack once, need to get that van higher though.

Sure possible in a pinch!
I changed a transmission in a 1985 RV on the side of the road in Utah about 2 years ago.

Never want to have to do that again haha

djkeev wrote:
My easiest VW boxer install was with a home made hoist using 2x's and a boat winch!

Stupid easy.....

Dave

Ah yes, this is the design I was picturing.
Fortunately Sanchius pointed out I can put it in fore/aft and think that will sort it out!

syncro surf wrote:
I've done it several times with just a floor jack under the engine and a bottle jack supporting the trans. The transmission is a bit lower than it belongs until the engine is mated, then jack the the whole thing into place.

Kind of a throwback to the aircooled days, but it has always gone fine. It's certainly easier with a helper.

Should have the solution, my biggest issue was the varied surfaces I think.

Thanks everyone for the input.
I think I just needed "fresh eyes" after I messed with it for hours and just couldn't sort it out.

The red engine bar I have fore/aft should be perfect to get it all sorted out.

Thanks!~
LBC28730
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Having issues getting 1.9 MT back in Reply with quote

Transmission went back in just fine when I used the red engine support bar.
Didn't expect/no procedures mention misalignment of the relay bar so I guess that's my next thing! :/

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: