Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gauges - Post Pics!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BlueTooth gauge set I am working on using Android smart phone.
Showing oil pressure and temp.
It has 6 more inputs available.
Record mode records day/time and data every 10 seconds into text file.
Min/Max recording and alarm settings for min/max.
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Oil temp and pressure using an oil filter sandwich adaptor.
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

So, it looks like my tachometer gauge is mostly dead, I've replaced the cluster foil with an aftermaket circuit and thought everything else works great, the tachometer still intermittently dies on its own (a tap on the top of the cluster revives it temporarily).

Is there a drop-in replacement for the OEM tachometer gauge (with fuel and temperature)? I'm hoping something that perhaps uses very similar wiring?

Original tachometer it's a VDO but doing a fast search in the VDO website I couldn't find that tachometer (or anything similar).

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
So, it looks like my tachometer gauge is mostly dead, I've replaced the cluster foil with an aftermaket circuit and thought everything else works great, the tachometer still intermittently dies on its own (a tap on the top of the cluster revives it temporarily).

Is there a drop-in replacement for the OEM tachometer gauge (with fuel and temperature)? I'm hoping something that perhaps uses very similar wiring?

Original tachometer it's a VDO but doing a fast search in the VDO website I couldn't find that tachometer (or anything similar).

A friend of mine had one of the Gowesty boards installed. He has the same issue. I think it is a problem with connection points losing contact.

Surely someone has deciphered the Cluster Foil and has the Circuit Schematic available for sharing!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dbartisan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

I have this image in my notes if that would help, although I'm sure there's one in the Bentley.

I originally found it here, http://www.kpcnsk.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/instrumentpanel.jpg

Looks like this guys created a replacement for the blue foil before the GoWesty solution was developed.

-Steve C.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

dbartisan wrote:
I have this image in my notes if that would help, although I'm sure there's one in the Bentley.

I originally found it here, http://www.kpcnsk.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/instrumentpanel.jpg

Looks like this guys created a replacement for the blue foil before the GoWesty solution was developed.

-Steve C.

I used this to rewire the cluster myself a few years ago.

Before:

During:

After:

More info here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7785281#7785281

If you really have the time, do it. Otherwise, buy a kit from one if the usual Vanagon vendors.
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

As I mentioned earlier, the cluster has been completely rewired (using the kit from slowbbridgeinnovation] and it works great. However, the tachometer itself is not working correctly (intermittent drop-offs), so I'm looking for a suitable drop-in replacement (ideally, having the same/similar connections).

I'll dismantle the cluster again this weekend and double check all the connections (though I already did that when I rewired the cluster 2 weeks ago)

VicVan wrote:

If you really have the time, do it. Otherwise, buy a kit from one if the usual Vanagon vendors.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

This is my setup, plus air temp and clock in a pod on the celing
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

calo1956 wrote:

This is my setup, plus air temp and clock in a pod on the celing

Very nice! Have you done anything to the plastic on your dash board? It looks factory fresh!
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

I decided to go UP instead of OVER with the added gauges. Used a modified instrument cover with an aluminum and plastic fascia to mount the gauges.

For my seating position and height, the new gauges line up right above the steering wheel for good visibility.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

whoa! thats an intimidating amount of info!

what's everything up there do/show?

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:

valvecovergasket wrote:
whoa! thats an intimidating amount of info!

what's everything up there do/show?

Left to right:
Instrument Binnacle:
Scangauge for GoWesty EFI system, engine oil temperature, engine oli pressure, voltage, added switch for fog/driving lights (above defroster switch),

NavCom station:
Cell cradle 1, Magellan GPS 1 & 2, Camera mount, Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Cell cradle 2.
I find it necessary to have GPS navigation without cell signal, thus the Magellans. Often have one set to the next waypoint and the other set to the 2nd waypoint or sometimes one zoomed in and one zoomed out for the same destination.

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

Here's my speedhuts with custom pattern. the console is for the 6 speed suby transmission.
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

human compass wrote:

SNIP
Here's my speedhuts with custom pattern. the console is for the 6 speed suby transmission.

Love the Speed Hut. Had one on my air cooled triumph Scrambler (motorcycle)

Is there a build thread for your 6 speed build?

Owen

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

9.5isCanadian wrote:
human compass wrote:

SNIP

Love the Speed Hut. Had one on my air cooled triumph Scrambler (motorcycle)

Is there a build thread for your 6 speed build?

Owen

Hey Owen,
check out the syncaru 16 thread for the inside view of my madness!
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

So most examples I've seen used on this thread use 5-25% of their available displays outputs to represent what the WBX/Vehicle will actually experience under normal circumstances. Why modify or add more? Add cold war avionics? Add a row of antiquated gauges. No! get a electronic solution; a tablet mounted from the ash tray is simple/smart and super useful as GPS or general home point, or a smart phone mounted sideways behind the steering wheel covering the non-used indicators in the middle of the cluster and its camera viewing the CTG, alarming the driver if things are out-of-order. All desired monitoring is available with out wires or bulk gauges. No more 8-Tracks.

BK

Last edited by 1988M5 on Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

What I wrote was rude but true. If you want to reinvent the stock dashboard, have a speedometer reading between between 30 - 80MPH. Do not have a tach-o-meter, our ears can hear what's happening (a over 5K rpm warning after 3 mins is ok, up shift). Fuel level sure. Coolant temp, yes (with a blunt warning if things are not ok)

TBC

BK
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
What I wrote was rude but true. If you want to reinvent the stock dashboard, have a speedometer reading between between 30 - 80MPH. Do not have a tach-o-meter, our ears can hear what's happening (a over 5K rpm warning after 3 mins is ok, up shift). Fuel level sure. Coolant temp, yes (with a blunt warning if things are not ok)

TBC

BK

This no tach thing probably works for you.
You have experience with the sound an engine makes at a given RPM. You probably learned this skill from driving a lot of cars...............
........... WITH Tachometers!

Add to this, your hearing us probably quite good.
Not all of us are so fortunate to be fully blessed with that sense.

As with most modifications made to these Vans do what pleases you. But don't go telling me that I am silly for wanting to take up dash space for or don't need a Tach.
I'm very experienced with the automobile, but always being able to hear 5,000 rpm? ....... it ain't happening.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

human compass wrote:

Love the black on white. I was inspired by these guys. https://shop.classicinstruments.com/vt58slf
Super dear and so this is where I am now.

Duncan
smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges - Post Pics! Reply with quote

My gauge project on my 89 Syncro Doka (build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=763624)

- Autometer GPS speedo - antenna is routed through the A pillar
- Volt meter with LED indicator wired to the factory charge warning
- Electronic oil pressure gauge - tied into my EJ25 via a sandwich block above the oil filter and LED tied to the factory oil pressure warning
- Tachometer signal routed from the subaru ECU
- Water temp - factory signal, but with modified routing to avoid the coolant temp relay - that relay is still used to monitor coolant level though and routed to an adjacent LED
- Fuel level - routed through a metermatch to dial in the ohms from the factory sending unit and LED that flashes when I've got about 30 miles to empty

Center LEDs
- High beam (blue)
- Turn / Flasher (green)
- Check engine (orange)
- E Brake (red)

All LEDs are far too bright at night right now, so my next project is adding a photocell to the dash to serve as a daylight dimming resistor - I have it bench prototyped, just not installed yet

-----
Initially started with an ABS panel and quick splices below the 14-pin connector

-----

Final version laser cut out of carbon fiber, replaces the 14-pin connector with individual weatherpack connectors, and moves the flasher and headlight switches to toggles mounted on the dash

And finally adding a momo wheel that is much too small for a manual steering rack, but... free cross fit, so I'm not complaining.

-----

And a question for someone who knows more than me about the front diff - is there any issue with making a threaded cap for the speedo drive on the diff? My concern I guess is, does oil seep out of there to lubricate the stock speedo cable? Worried if the answer is yes and I block it off it could create unwanted pressure? Maybe a non-concern? Anyone know?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 21

Jump to: