Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shawn's 72 Squareback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

It's just an open drain for gas or water that gets in there.
It doesn't connect to anything.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sharmstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Great. Thank you.
sharmstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Decided to try to finish the doors while I was waiting on parts for the engine install. Took a lot longer than I thought it would. But happy with the results.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Found out I was missing the driver side rear felt channel/guide piece. Ordered one from ISP West. I believe they gave me the wrong year but was able to drill out the spot welds and make it work.

New engine hangers. Didnt have to scribe the location of the old ones Smile

Got the brake hard lines and reservoir installed.

Like with most things during this resto, I had no idea what I was doing when I replaced the tie rod ends. I just did an adjustment to bring the passenger side in and noticed that the ends arent evenly spaced from the center tube. In fact, it looks dangerously too far out on the steering box side. I will remove the entire assembly and start over.

Anyone know what these two brackets are for? Looking for a place to bolt my remote oil filter to. I've seen some guys use the engine hanger.

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

It was to mount the VW diagnostic contraption that is usually eliminated.

If you have a bigger motor you might need additional cooling fan or something.
Ask Chico etc what he recommends.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

sharmstr wrote:

Anyone know what these two brackets are for? Looking for a place to bolt my remote oil filter to. I've seen some guys use the engine hanger.

The rear one by the cooling fan inlet opening is for the VW dealership computer diagnostic plug (white rectangular box) that probably has been removed by now (looks like it) and would be a good place to mount a remote oil filter. That bracket is fairly thick, and spot welded from the factory. The computer diagnostic plug was used for about 2.5 years (mid-late 71 thru 73).
The second bracket is for the MPS sensor, and is located in a bad spot for trying to mount an oil filter.
Some on here have mounted the oil filter to the engine hanger bar with success. The nice thing about mounting it there, is that if you need to pull the engine, the filter comes with it it. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
sharmstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

[quote="Bobnotch"]
sharmstr wrote:

The nice thing about mounting it there, is that if you need to pull the engine, the filter comes with it it. I hope this helps.

That's good point. I hadnt thought of that. Thank you.
sharmstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Got the transmission and axles installed today.

Was excited about it until I noticed a tear in the top of the transmission mount. From what I remember, no one makes new ones. I really dont want to spend $80 on a used one especially since I have a higher HP motor. Do I have any other options?

sharmstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

I found this on jbugs https://www.jbugs.com/product/311301265B.html

But it doesnt seem thick enough.

EDIT: I did find one pic of someone who used spacers

If that would work, maybe I can make this work

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6210.htm
sharmstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Found a NOS front trans mount in the classified section. Was able to get it, the trans and axles assemblies reinstalled.

Also figured out why my tie rod ball joint looked like it was sticking out too far. The bently manual doesnt mention the center mark on the steering gear rod. I did center the wheels by counting the amount of turns of the steering wheel. But apparently that wasnt good enough. I happen to come across a post on here about the center mark. Once I lined that up, the passenger wheel was way off. The driver was off as well. I have those close now and much happier with how its looking.

Now my next issue that hopefully someone can comment on. Shouldnt the clutch cable go through the lever without having to move the lever? In other words, I think my clutch cable is too short, but not sure. With the adjustment nut only on two threads, the throwout bearing moves about 1/2". Based on the bently adjustment procedure I believe I should be able to get the cable threaded through the lever a decent amount before affecting the position of the bearing.

I did install a new 2333mm cable when I did the chassis a few years ago, but I'm fairly confident that I didnt verify the size.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

sharmstr wrote:
Found a NOS front trans mount in the classified section. Was able to get it, the trans and axles assemblies reinstalled.

Now my next issue that hopefully someone can comment on. Shouldnt the clutch cable go through the lever without having to move the lever? In other words, I think my clutch cable is too short, but not sure. With the adjustment nut only on two threads, the throwout bearing moves about 1/2". Based on the bently adjustment procedure I believe I should be able to get the cable threaded through the lever a decent amount before affecting the position of the bearing.

I did install a new 2333mm cable when I did the chassis a few years ago, but I'm fairly confident that I didnt verify the size.

It sounds like you've got a cable that's too short. Normally you'll have the wing nut positioned about half way on the threaded part, but I've had a couple that needed something like an open lug nut take up the difference in length (so I could adjust the clutch to work).
Keep in mind it might be your combination of parts too, as there's a difference in clutch arms (at the pedal), and the fork (at the trans). This difference in combinations can result in a soft pedal or a stiff pedal depending on which combination of parts are used.
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
sharmstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Thank you for the confirmation. I'll remove the cable and measure it before I try to find a longer one.

Though I just remembered it might have something to do with the rear of the tranny sitting too high. I have it hung from a tie down strap at the moment. I'll try lowering the trans a bit too to see if that helps.

Thank you again. I'd be even more lost without this forum.
sharmstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

I have the clutch cable out. Where should I measure from? I did a search and in the bug section, someone said to measure from the eyelet to the end of the threads.

From end to end its 2330 (1/8" short).
From threaded end to eyelet its 2318 ( 5/8" short).

Either way I need it longer.
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

very nice to see your square coming along together!
sharmstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

andybla wrote:
very nice to see your square coming along together!

Thank you. Just wish I didnt have to fight every step. Smile
sharmstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

I've ordered a NOS clutch cable that appears to be old dealer stock. We will see if that makes a difference. In the meantime, I've gone through everything I can think of

1 - Something I forgot to mention is that I changed the stock clutch pedal rod out with the Big Boy rod. Instead of a hook at the end it has a bolt.

This morning I switched it back to the hook rod. That made no difference.

2 - I adjusted the pedal stop. Obviously this makes little difference.

3 - I inspected the clutch cable tube running down the tunnel as best I could. Doesnt seem to be any excessive bends in it that would shortened the cable.

4 - I measured my new front trans mount with the one that came out of the car when I bought it. Same thickness.

5 - The new bowden tube appears to be correct and fully seated. Regardless, the cable isnt long enough even without the bowden tube.

6 - That brings us to the transmission. I did get the Benco Pro Street trans but I assume the cases and nose section dont change. Only the internal gears. I'm not sure how long the clutch operating lever should be, but even if it was shorter, the cable would still be too short.

I cant think of anything else to check besides the cable length. As posted yesterday, I've measured it and its not too far off. I did purchase it from CIP and have seen other complain about them being too short. I guess I'll know for sure in a few days when I receive the NOS cable.

If all else fails, I have two options that I'm playing around with. I really dont want to have a custom cable made. That seems like a nightmare waiting to happen when the cable breaks in the future. Since I'm using the Big Boy pedal extension with the bolt mounting instead of the hook, I could either make an extension plate or use a bus cable and a shortening kit. I need to find out the diameter of the bus cable eyelet to see if its a viable solution.

Okay, that's all I got for now.
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

In order to lengthen your clutch cable slightly, why don't you find / make a short linkage that would fit between the clutch pedal rod and the eye on the end of the cable ? Maybe some type of clevis yoke ? Cheaper and easier than a new cable, surely ?
sharmstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Im with you and its what I tried to explain in my "plan" above. However the current cable I have has an extra long crimped section past the eyelet. There's maybe 1/2" between that and the start of the cable tube. It will no doubt get caught up on the lip of the tube once I add some type of linkage. The new one I bought looks to be half the size so hopefully it will work. Thanks for the suggestion though. Glad I'm heading in the right direction fix wise Smile
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

sharmstr wrote:
Im with you and its what I tried to explain in my "plan" above. However the current cable I have has an extra long crimped section past the eyelet. There's maybe 1/2" between that and the start of the cable tube. It will no doubt get caught up on the lip of the tube once I add some type of linkage. The new one I bought looks to be half the size so hopefully it will work. Thanks for the suggestion though. Glad I'm heading in the right direction fix wise Smile

Why couldn't you weld a tab on the pedal hook end, and drill a new hole rearward about an inch or so, to give you enough length. With all the fab work I've seen out of your shop it shouldn't be an issue. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
sharmstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Got the NOS clutch cable and it was 3/8" longer than the one I bought from CIP. Still too short though. Decided to cut the CIP cable and add a coupler. Had to make the coupler from some hex stock since its impossible to find a M7 coupler. I still need to add a few set screws to it.

Put the engine in yesterday.

It's nice to finally have it in after its been sitting on a pallet for 4 years. However, at some point, a pushrod tube got a dented. Will have to pull the rocker and rod to inspect and try to fix. Fingers crossed on that.

The engine is also sitting a bit too high for my air cleaners. Oxsign (samba member) mentioned on instagram that I might have the wrong manifolds (he had the same problem). I have new engine mounts which might be causing it, but I'd like to keep them, so I think I'll fab up some brackets to add a 3rd hole. That should bring it down about 3/4".
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Quote:
The engine is also sitting a bit too high for my air cleaners. Oxsign (samba member) mentioned on instagram that I might have the wrong manifolds (he had the same problem). I have new engine mounts which might be causing it, but I'd like to keep them, so I think I'll fab up some brackets to add a 3rd hole. That should bring it down about 3/4".

Nope those are the right manifolds, you'll want to replace those studs on the air cleaner with screws, it makes getting the tops on possible. I still have to bend the fiter to get the top on.
there are 15 mm venturies available for those carbs too, they help direct the airflow better, or you can cut and fit some right into the air cleaner tops like I did.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: