Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Importing a 74 from Europe to CA - Registering
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a 74 from Europe to CA - Registering Reply with quote

Once the bus is here, you go to the DMV - give them your OG paperwork for the bus, any customs paperwork required, then sent it to Sacramento then send you a new registration and plates.

Easy as that. The bad part of this is that in Europe - especially Germany the registration is part of the buses history from new if all the owners kept it nice. The DMV will not give you back the OG stuff - they will destroy it. Because of this, you can tweak the system. Like go in with the Vin on a made up bill of sale. The DMV looks for it - not going to be in the system - they register it to you on a one year "temp" registration in your name - no title. Then after a year, they send you a title.

Up to you and your juevos level. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a 74 from Europe to CA - Registering Reply with quote

You are dead if they insist on that letter.

VW is uninterested in conforming to EPA rules, on so many levels
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a 74 from Europe to CA - Registering Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Once the bus is here, you go to the DMV - give them your OG paperwork for the bus, any customs paperwork required, then sent it to Sacramento then send you a new registration and plates.

Easy as that. The bad part of this is that in Europe - especially Germany the registration is part of the buses history from new if all the owners kept it nice. The DMV will not give you back the OG stuff - they will destroy it. Because of this, you can tweak the system. Like go in with the Vin on a made up bill of sale. The DMV looks for it - not going to be in the system - they register it to you on a one year "temp" registration in your name - no title. Then after a year, they send you a title.

Up to you and your juevos level. Wink

Sounds to me like a Notchboy has been down this road before.
How badly do you want to single cab? Are you willing to risk everything that you have spent on the bus, shipping, import duties, etc. to get it here? If you are willing to risk it then give it a shot! At worst you resell it to someone in another state who is able to register it there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mattink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a 74 from Europe to CA - Registering Reply with quote

Quote:

The single-cab is here. All of the import paperwork was submitted to the DMV where was processed by the Technical Compliance Section in Sacramento. They are not sending new registration and plates, they are requesting proof of emissions compliance from 74 either from VW or ARB first.

My guess is that ARB is a dead end. It sounds like VW is too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mattink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a 74 from Europe to CA - Registering Reply with quote

Related question, anyone you all recommend to transport a VW from CA to SC? Looks like my little truck is going to the palmetto state.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a 74 from Europe to CA - Registering Reply with quote

The DMV site explains it all. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbook/vehicle-ind...-vehicles/

Maybe it wasn't this thread but I said do not register it in California or even start one as the first state of record. The bus will have to adhere to California Regulations for its year and that is why they want the letter from VW. You also need the safety letter. I don't believe that VW went thru the tests on the cabs so you may or may not be able to get the letter. If the cab uses the same VW engine number as the other bays then you should be able to use the letter CARB has already (link to EO below). BUT let's say that the 1974 has a European upright engine that was never tested in CA then you may be in trouble. California will treat that bus as a CALIFORNIA port of entry bus if it is not registered in another state for while first. You don't want that. People misunderstand what the 1975 exemption is - it is exemption from bi-annual testing. It does not exempt a car from having to be smog legal. Any car later than 1966 in California has to be maintained as smog legal. People get around it because there is no testing, and often parts aren't available so there would be waivers. But there will be an inspection when it is imported. If it comes from another state the visual is not as extensive as from a foreign country. Also I think you have to get a weight sticker on it from a certified truck scale listed by the DMV but it has been a while since I helped someone with that.

Also I don't remember where but I have seen the letters from VW's testing online. CARB also has copies. I worked for CalEPA and with many of the CARB people. I can't help you but I can tell you that you will have to jump thru their hoops, they will not jump thru yours, and I advise ALWAYS be polite.

DO NOT register it or attempt to in California unless it is 100% smog legal including visual AND if it is any other engine code that listed in the CARB approval EO and or the VIN is outside the range. Drive it and keep it in another state with your family or something where you don't have the smog issues and then some day bring it to California once you decide to be here with it. https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/classic...d8_ta0.pdf The EO says resinded so I don't know what that is about.

edit: Here is another one that says Air Injection instead of fuel injection and it is for a different engine code. Hopefully it is yours, and your bus is still 100% stock smog legal. https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/classic...d8_ta0.pdf

Last edited by SGKent on Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a 74 from Europe to CA - Registering Reply with quote

So yeah, you are fucked. You already gave them the goods.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mattink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a 74 from Europe to CA - Registering Reply with quote

Thanks for the words of encouragement.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a 74 from Europe to CA - Registering Reply with quote

here is a cut and paste from the Foreign Import page at CA DMV

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-registration/new-registration/register-an-imported-vehicle/

Evidence that the vehicle meets Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and California emissions standards.

This includes an EPA and California emissions label attached to the vehicle.
A smog certificate.
This applies to gasoline vehicles manufactured after 1968.

Mattink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a 74 from Europe to CA - Registering Reply with quote

Yes, I started this thread with that link.

It's a 1584cc Type 1 engine, Engine code AS 143155

According to:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/engine_letters.php
It's a 1600cc 50bhp DIN. Non-USA.

It looks like the 74 US engine was:
AH 1973-74 1600cc 48bhp DIN, 46HP SAE-net. USA-only
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a 74 from Europe to CA - Registering Reply with quote

is it not as simple as getting it tagged in another state then transferring that and keeping your mouth shut about it's Type 1 engine etc?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Importing a 74 from Europe to CA - Registering Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:
is it not as simple as getting it tagged in another state then transferring that and keeping your mouth shut about it's Type 1 engine etc?

No. Moreover, what works today can end on the street in CA with one stop.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Importing a 74 from Europe to CA - Registering Reply with quote

Mattink wrote:
Yes, I started this thread with that link.

It's a 1584cc Type 1 engine, Engine code AS 143155

According to:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/engine_letters.php
It's a 1600cc 50bhp DIN. Non-USA.

It looks like the 74 US engine was:
AH 1973-74 1600cc 48bhp DIN, 46HP SAE-net. USA-only

No! You are confusing a Type1 car and Type1 engine. You have a Type2 car. In Europe they still had a Type1 engine in a Type2 car in 1974. 1972 on, in the US had a Type4 engine on a Type2 car. Wink

Type 2
Code Year Engine/Notes
20- Pre-Jan., 1956 25hp/36hp
20- prefix indicates Type 2 and is not part of the sequential engine number.
2, 3, 4 55-60 1200cc, 36hp (includes “Bastard 40hp”)
5, 6, 7, 8, 9 1961-65 1200cc, 40hp
O 1963-65 1500cc - no cam bearings
H0 1966-67 1500cc
L0 1967 1500cc M240 low compression
B0 1968-70 1600cc non-USA.
B5 1968-69 1600cc single relief USA only
B5 1970 1600cc dual relief USA only
C0 1968-70 1600cc 44bhp. Non-USA. M240 low octane.
AD 1971-73 1600cc 50bhp DIN. Non-USA.
AB 1971 1300cc 44bhp DIN, Non-USA. M252
AE 1971 1600cc 50bhp DIN, 60HP SAE-gross. USA-only
AS 1974-79 1600cc 50bhp DIN. Non-USA
CB 1972/73 1700cc - dual carb., manual transmission
CD 1973 1700cc - dual carb., automatic transmission
AW 1973/74 1800cc - dual carb.
AW 1975 1800cc - fuel-injected
AP 1974/75 1800cc - European only
ED 1975 1800cc
GD 1976/77 2000cc
CJ 1976-1979 2000cc - European only
GE 1978/79 2000cc
CU 1980-1983 2000cc - Vanagon style
CV 1980-1983 2000cc - Vanagon style

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Importing a 74 from Europe to CA - Registering Reply with quote

Mattink wrote:

Its tough and I hate to see you learn about it this way. I imported a 1964 notchback back in 2015 from Germany. I still havent registered it, driven it much either. Rolling Eyes But when I do register it, Im doing it like I purchased some derilic that lost its ppwrk long ago.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Importing a 74 from Europe to CA - Registering Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Mattink wrote:

Its tough and I hate to see you learn about it this way. I imported a 1964 notchback back in 2015 from Germany. I still havent registered it, driven it much either. Rolling Eyes But when I do register it, Im doing it like I purchased some derilic that lost its ppwrk long ago.

Smog is the biggest hurdle in CA. A 1964 car is exempt. Anything 1968 and later isn't. Ask John in Los Alamos what he went thru to register his cab in N. Mexico.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Importing a 74 from Europe to CA - Registering Reply with quote

Smog is the biggest hurdle in CA. A 1964 car is exempt. Anything 1975 1968 and later isn't.
Mattink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a 74 from Europe to CA - Registering Reply with quote

Follow up to all of this:

I transported the single cab to South Carolina and had no problem walking out with new plates and a SC state title in about 45 minutes. It is amazing how fast other DMVs can be outside of California.

Once I was registered in SC I called the special import board at the DMV to notify them that I would not be registering the vehicle in state and to please cancel the registration process and refund my fees. A couple weeks later I received 2 new plates, stickers, and registration receipt.

This seemed too good to be true and it was.

I called the DMV to check that the single cab was in their system but was told that the registration was "pending." A few more phone calls and I learned that the plates were issued but I shouldn't drive with them until the EPA emissions were certified by VW or the California Clean Air Resource Board - back to the last request of the import board. That's not going to happen so I requested to cancel the registration process again and submitted the forms to get a refund on the registration fee. It'll arrive sometime around when hell freezes over.

Good news, I have a great single cab that can be driven on the East Coast and now have a excuse to look for a new, old bus or single cab for my daily driver. This time it's going to be a 67' or older.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: