Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'58/'59 Beetle Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I too love the patina on the car.

two things out of place in the engine compartment. original voltage regulaotrs were painted black, not a biggy just paint it.

That coil and bracket- that coil bracket is screaming mid 1970's. The original coils were also painted black. With the stickers that are on it is is also saying it's from the mid 1970's.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I need some help with gas tank measurements given I can’t access my gas tank at the moment:

How deep is a stock 1958-59 fuel tank, exactly from top to bottom not including the filler neck? And what is the distance from the top of the tank down to the ledge that's directly below the filler neck?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
downsbs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

dmclune wrote:
Does anyone know if you can fit a 1600cc engine in a 1958 beetle.

I do know.
pdxeuro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Does anyone have a pic of a ‘59 VIN/ID Plate they can share, preferably a mid to late 59? I have May 59 US bug, and 59’s don’t have the smaller Made in Western Germany plate like 58’s. I want to know if the ID plate has Made in Western Germany at the bottom (on the bigger vin plate). Two companies seem to sell these (Kaferlab and Kafer Nostalgie) but hard to know which truly looks like the 59 plate. Thanks in advance!
1959 Bug
1977 Westy Bus - sold
1968 Bug - sold
2002 Eurovan - sold
rzepko6194
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Here’s the plate from my June 59’ Beetle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
There were getting to be too many Stickies for the specific "years" threads (10 right now) so we consolidated them into an overall Sticky listing at the top of the Forum.

Beetle Year-specific / Registry Topics

If you specifically want to see when people post here, I would "watch" the thread so you can see it quickly in your Watched Threads listing (link from Forums dropdown menu) and/or get an email

In my mind, harder to find now. I thought it was gone and had to search... and if voted on (ha ha) i'd put them back on top. It's not like the others that stayed on top were more valuable, like "what year is my decklid?" or "what did you do to your beetle this week?" I have to say, i've never looked at "today in bug hunting history".
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
EverettB wrote:
There were getting to be too many Stickies for the specific "years" threads (10 right now) so we consolidated them into an overall Sticky listing at the top of the Forum.

Beetle Year-specific / Registry Topics

If you specifically want to see when people post here, I would "watch" the thread so you can see it quickly in your Watched Threads listing (link from Forums dropdown menu) and/or get an email

In my mind, harder to find now. I thought it was gone and had to search... and if voted on (ha ha) i'd put them back on top. It's not like the others that stayed on top were more valuable, like "what year is my decklid?" or "what did you do to your beetle this week?" I have to say, i've never looked at "today in bug hunting history".

Now there's 12 so that's too many to Sticky.

The decklid thread... That's weird and doesn't really need to be there unless I missing something?

"What did you do..." should definitely be there.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I'm looking for some cloth repair material for the seats of my coral early 58. I'm finding it more and more difficult to determine if the cloth material is right or just faded. Some of our members offering me some looks close, until I see the plastic edge or trim as often the material has faded. Luckily if there's enough material, the piping is a guide.
myvolks1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

As I mentioned in the 58-59 FB group I know where you can get the cloth brand new from a place in Germany. I have cloth samples of all 3 colors that I received from this place.

bwaz wrote:
I'm looking for some cloth repair material for the seats of my coral early 58. I'm finding it more and more difficult to determine if the cloth material is right or just faded. Some of our members offering me some looks close, until I see the plastic edge or trim as often the material has faded. Luckily if there's enough material, the piping is a guide.

WANTED: DEET EICHEL (Modesto, CA), license plate frames and other Deet Eichel related items.

Wanted: Original VW
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Bwaz,

You can buy new / original material from this shop in Germany (use Apple Safari or Google Chrome to translate):

http://www.doepper-profile.de

Green/Gray

http://www.doepper-profile.de/artikeldetails.php5?...lsterstoff

Blue/Gray

They also have the Red/Brown as well as leathertte colors. Email them (they speak English) and tell them what you need. In the past they have sent me samples.

Hope this helps and good luck.
myvolks1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

jbannon,

Can you post some pictures of the Red/Brown leatherette samples that you got from them?

jbannon wrote:
Bwaz,

You can buy new / original material from this shop in Germany (use Apple Safari or Google Chrome to translate):

http://www.doepper-profile.de

Green/Gray

Blue/Gray

They also have the Red/Brown as well as leathertte colors. Email them (they speak English) and tell them what you need. In the past they have sent me samples.

Hope this helps and good luck.

WANTED: DEET EICHEL (Modesto, CA), license plate frames and other Deet Eichel related items.

jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Sorry, I only ordered the blue and green swatches and don’t have any red/brown swatches. I suggest you contact the company and request they send you some.
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Yes. That material is fantastic, but would stand out when trying to patch pieces in my weathered seat material
myvolks1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Can we see the blue and green swatches that you ordered? I want to see if it has the correct texture to it.

jbannon wrote:
Sorry, I only ordered the blue and green swatches and don’t have any red/brown swatches. I suggest you contact the company and request they send you some.

RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I have a Dec 1958 (59 Model) Garnet Red RHD Beetle that I have owned for years. I am about to get some carpets made to original spec. Firstly, I need a definitive answer of whether 59 models had plastic or metal heater outlet rings and reserve tap ring. Secondly, I have the choice of dark grey or light grey (very nice quality) square weave carpet material, but neither look like the original mid grey-ish colour used in Garnet Red Beetles. I don’t suppose anybody has come across a source for this original colour material?
1957 RHD Pitt-Moto Type 2 Camper
1959 RHD Beetle
1966 RHD Type 3 Fastback
1976 RHD Sun Beetle
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

RichOakley wrote:
I have a Dec 1958 (59 Model) Garnet Red RHD Beetle that I have owned for years. I am about to get some carpets made to original spec. Firstly, I need a definitive answer of whether 59 models had plastic or metal heater outlet rings and reserve tap ring. Secondly, I have the choice of dark grey or light grey (very nice quality) square weave carpet material, but neither look like the original mid grey-ish colour used in Garnet Red Beetles. I don’t suppose anybody has come across a source for this original colour material?

59's would have had aluminum heater rings or plastic depending on if it was an early, or late build. What month the change over took place, I am unsure of.

Here is a pic of a clean original 59, for reference...aluminum

and another clean 59 plastic..

As for the carpet, the colors correct for your car would be T109 anthracite for the front, and t110 silver grey for the rear.
If it were me, I would go with WW Charcoal for the front, and Med Grey for the rear. Just my .02
RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
RichOakley wrote:

59's would have had aluminum heater rings or plastic depending on if it was an early, or late build. What month the change over took place, I am unsure of.

Here is a pic of a clean original 59, for reference...aluminum

and another clean 59 plastic..

As for the carpet, the colors correct for your car would be T109 anthracite for the front, and t110 silver grey for the rear.
If it were me, I would go with WW Charcoal for the front, and Med Grey for the rear. Just my .02

Brilliant, thank you. I could find no literature referring to the change-over. As my car is a Nov 58 build, I’ll go with the aluminium and charcoal carpet.
1957 RHD Pitt-Moto Type 2 Camper
1959 RHD Beetle
1966 RHD Type 3 Fastback
1976 RHD Sun Beetle
57dbldoorpanel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
I too love the patina on the car.

two things out of place in the engine compartment. original voltage regulaotrs were painted black, not a biggy just paint it.

That coil and bracket- that coil bracket is screaming mid 1970's. The original coils were also painted black. With the stickers that are on it is is also saying it's from the mid 1970's.

Thanks Tasb. I plan on painting the regulator. You rebuilt the distributor for me back back in December or so.
TheRealOld59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

My black 58 euro model.

Full OG and judson equipped, soon on french road Cool

stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Beautiful car!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Page 141 of 148

Jump to: