Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering wheel off center
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Steering wheel off center Reply with quote

My steering wheel is not centered-meaning turned left maybe a quarter turn when driving straight ahead. Everything that is part of the steering-arm coming off gearbox-tie rods etc. is tight. Any ideas what could cause this? I haven’t done any work to cars steering mechanism. It does have a TRW steering box which is about 10 yrs old. Thank you.
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel off center Reply with quote

Has it ever been straight? Did this happen suddenly or over time or has it been this way since you started driving it?

67 Beetle bought new, 95% stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel off center Reply with quote

Yes it was definitely straight at one time. I think it happened all of a sudden when I cranked the wheel all the way to the left one day. I am wondering if there’s a way the wheel itself (bracket) could have slipped? Than you for the reply.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel off center Reply with quote

Do you have a stock wheel? What's the condition of the steering coupler under the gas tank? The steering wheel is splined to the shaft. The coupler is a "rubber and rag" so the steering shaft isn't solid to the steering gear. You could simply set your front wheels straight, remove the cover, remove the wheel and place it in the correct origination. Although, I'd still be curious as to why and how it misaligned.
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel off center Reply with quote

Yes I hear you-as you said I’m curious to why/what happened-I will inspect further and check the coupler-I do have stock wheels thanks!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel off center Reply with quote

There are also cinch bolts on either side of the steering coupler that will allow rotation under extreme force if the bolts aren’t quite tight enough.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel off center Reply with quote

Oh yeah good call I’m gonna check those
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel off center Reply with quote

While you are under there remove the access panel for the steering adjustment screw and align the notch in the steering box (at the rear of the box on the input shaft) so it is pointing at 12 o’clock and see if the wheels and or steering wheel is straight.

67 Beetle bought new, 95% stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel off center Reply with quote

Ok I will have to
Look at that it’s been so long since I put the car together I can’t remember ever doing that Shocked thank you
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel off center Reply with quote

-update-
Today I had the wifey turn the wheel back and forth(with wheels on ground) as I laid under the front end i didn't see anything slipping or abnormal. I think I am going to take out the rubber donut and check to see if the holes oblonged. Also was thinking of pulling the steering wheel to see if something happened with the center piece.
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel off center Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the ring at the top of the picture is for-it moves pretty freely not sure if that is normal?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also I think the off center may have occurred because there was some slippage at this clamp. The short male shaft is splined and I see it has a flat spot for the bolt to go thru-I am thinking it slipped a little here. Is the female part that the clamp goes around just smooth inside? Maybe I need a new clamp and bolt?
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel off center Reply with quote

I think there are splines inside the female part also, but really they are not very deep more like grooves than splines. I would suggest getting it good and tight and see how it does, you probably won't have any more trouble with it. It can't really go anywhere because of the flat and the bolt, as you observed. The ring at the top is to stop the steering shaft moving through the tube towards the driver in a crash and force the lattice section to crush instead. A little play is normal as it just clips on there. I think mine is missing, I should get one.
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel off center Reply with quote

Ok thanks a lot! I appreciate the info it all makes sense now. I watched this video as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc1hfwYI7A4
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel off center Reply with quote

I don't think the rag joint is bolted correctly, the nuts should be on opposite sides.

88 Goldwing GL1500/6 sold

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel off center Reply with quote

I don't think the rag joint is bolted correctly, the nuts should be on opposite sides.

Oh I see probably a safety thing-I will have to change that. Thanks!
I ordered the rubber disc and a new clamp from Wolfsburg West should be here soon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: