Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Father/Daughter Baja Project
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenZoomBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Father/Daughter Baja Project Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, new guy here, l just bought a 67 Baja Bug for a Dad/Daughter project. First thing is the accelerator peddle and the carb. I think l need to replace the complete peddle assembly and cable, Second thing is the oil cooler, would it be a good place to center it inside the back cage ?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by GreenZoomBug on Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Project Reply with quote

Have fun with your project. Peddle clusters can be rebuilt and WW sells the parts you look to be missing.

Suggest changing your title to reflect Baja or Father/Daughter project or something more focused to gain more relevant input.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
64 bug nice used front/rear Black RHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreenZoomBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Father/Daughter Baja Bug Project Reply with quote

Thanks Matthew, good thought. I'm missing some engine shrouds but l think l have a lead on some. That oil cooler needs to be moved but where ? I'm thinking mounted to the center inside cage.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Father/Daughter Baja Project Reply with quote

It's not for everybody, but on a baja, I always thought it worked well in a scoop over the rear passenger section

ETA Welcome to the Samba & good luck with your father/daughter project. Looks like you have a good start.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Father/Daughter Baja Project Reply with quote

Nice going with the Baja. Is your daughter still young so that she will be driving it when she's old enough? Or is she somewhat older and just wants something different to drive?

That external oil cooler is huge! Since your engine is a dual-port which would originally have the efficient "doghouse" oil cooler and fan shroud, you could consider to get rid of that cooler, the adapter, oil lines, etc and go back to the "simple" factory oil cooler.

A stock-design gas pedal (correct spelling) should also last years.
GreenZoomBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Father/Daughter Baja Project Reply with quote

Cool Bug, but it's more work than l want to get into
slayer61 wrote:
It's not for everybody, but on a baja, I always thought it worked well in a scoop over the rear passenger section

ETA Welcome to the Samba & good luck with your father/daughter project. Looks like you have a good start.
GreenZoomBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Father/Daughter Baja Project Reply with quote

I'm inclined to agree with you. The previous owner stripped off some of the cooling shrouds that I've got a lead on replacing. Another thing that Bugs me 😃 is the short trunk lid leaving my engine more exposed than l like. I live on the "Wet Coast" so that's a concern for me. My garage already has a "Princess" living in there so the Poor Little Bug has to live outside. I don't know how l could extend the engine cover the way my fenders are without looking goofy. My daughter is in her 30's but we have very similar interests and she just likes hanging out with me.

Rome wrote:
Nice going with the Baja. Is your daughter still young so that she will be driving it when she's old enough? Or is she somewhat older and just wants something different to drive?

That external oil cooler is huge! Since your engine is a dual-port which would originally have the efficient "doghouse" oil cooler and fan shroud, you could consider to get rid of that cooler, the adapter, oil lines, etc and go back to the "simple" factory oil cooler.

A stock-design gas pedal (correct spelling) should also last years.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Father/Daughter Baja Project Reply with quote

Hate to be that guy! But, the car is a later than 67 model.
A 67 VIN starts with 117. I betting yours starts with 118 or 119. Meaning it could be a 68 or 69.
Another give away on the year is the for lug wheels. Those came into play starting in 68.
Look at the rear axles and see if they are swing axle or IRS. Swing axle will be inside tubes. IRS will be exposed with CV joints.

A 67 has a thumb button on the door handles. Your are trigger type that you squeeze with your index finger to open the door.

My long gone BAJA lived outdoors. And had far less engine coverage than your car. Don't sweat it.

There's more, but I don't have time to get to all the details right now.

Have fun. And welcome to the samba.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Father/Daughter Baja Project Reply with quote

The handles look right for a 67 to me. Some late 67s were 4 lug. Looks like the rear wheels have some positive camber too, suggesting it's swingaxle.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Father/Daughter Baja Project Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know how l could extend the engine cover the way my fenders are without looking goofy

You could find a bottom-crumpled '68 or '69 Sedan engine lid probably for cheap and cut it across at the same height as where the fenders end at the quarter panel. That would give you a smooth cover several inches longer than what you now have. "Unfortunately" those 2 sturdy pipe braces that go from the firewall to the rear bumper will be in the way, unless you weld a metal "tunnel" onto the engine lid for each of the bumper braces so that the lid tunnels can fit over the braces.

Good points as to many details which point to a '68 - '70 body and chassis, including the large front blinkers that started for '70. Though those are easily installed from a later car. Looks like there is a door lock pull-up stem which would be as of (edit) '67. But the foot-operated high beam switch was last factory-installed thru the '65 model year. Maybe a PO had problems with the steering column blinker/high beam stalk during the nose cutting and simply installed the foot switch?

IRS or swingaxle- could that be an outer CV joint seen outboard of the right exhaust pipe, which would indicate IRS?

Last edited by Rome on Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Father/Daughter Baja Project Reply with quote

The car has no external fuel flap which started with the dimple hole version in 1968.

Whilst it is possible the external flap was welded shut or the front right quarter was replaced so check around there. Quite possible that the body at least is not a post '67.
GreenZoomBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Father/Daughter Baja Project Reply with quote

I have so much to learn, 😃
GreenZoomBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Father/Daughter Baja Project Reply with quote

Guy that l know, said the first 3 Vin numbers says it's a 67 vw. He said the first 1 means Beetle, second he couldn't remember and the 3rd is 7 which is the year and it has IRS. This car was likely a collection of parts, l heard the 67 engine didn't have dual port heads
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Father/Daughter Baja Project Reply with quote

GreenZoomBug wrote:
Guy that l know, said the first 3 Vin numbers says it's a 67 vw. He said the first 1 means Beetle, second he couldn't remember and the 3rd is 7 which is the year and it has IRS. This car was likely a collection of parts, l heard the 67 engine didn't have dual port heads

That would be correct for a USA delivered 67.

Maybe the it just has later tail lights that through me off.
The four lug brake drums are still suspect.

Like so many. It is likely a franckenbug!

Have fun with it. BAJA's are fun!

Please post the pics directly to the samba. Pic sites have a tendency of disappearing from the interwebs.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Father/Daughter Baja Project Reply with quote

Thought irs did not arrive until 68 auto stick only, and the rest of the type one in 69.
Edit, us spec.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Father/Daughter Baja Project Reply with quote

Another not-a-67 item is the floor mounted high beam switch. Looks funny mounted next to the late pedal assembly. Last year for that on US models was 1964.

P.S.
Post the VIN number for better replies.
If you're afraid of security simply XXX the last three numbers.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Father/Daughter Baja Project Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
[
The four lug brake drums are still suspect.

Some late 67s were 4 lug. Or more likely it's a frankenbug, could be a 67 body on a later pan.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: