Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tank breathers and fuel smells
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:03 am    Post subject: Tank breathers and fuel smells Reply with quote

I was looking at a photo here in the Marcdeb thread and saw poorly plumbed tank breather and thought a thread could be useful about breathers and fuel smells. Various years are different particularly around 67 - 69 so if others have pictures or info it would be great to add it.
Mine is a 69 without a charcoal canister.
under the fender you can see the main tank vent going to the fill pipe

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

then a small hose going to a steel tube above the air vent

under the hood the little steel pipe goes to a hose that tucks up under the dash

it goes all the way across and down the left side of the tank and out here in the wheel well

my hoses are not original. If the car had a charcoal canister this vent hose would connect to the canister, but I don't know where the canister vented too Crying or Very sad
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Tank breathers and fuel smells Reply with quote

I also had fuel smells with a full tank and going around some corners.
when I first did the car I used a silicone filler hose and it leaked all the time no matter how tight I did up the hose clamps.
Next i used generic fuel hose which was better but still did not seal properly.
Next I used an Empi kit which has the thin sleeves like the original and it was good for a year but both the sleeves and the hose perished.

This time I got a german hose kit from CIP1 with sleeves but it is not on the car yet.
CIP1 list 4 version of the 7" filler hose, 311 201 219A
https://www2.cip1.com/search-results-page?q=type+1+fuel+filler+hose

let us know what has worked for you.....
There is a lot to be said for an early tank with the filler under the hood and no hoses Smile
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Tank breathers and fuel smells Reply with quote

I wonder if E-10 fuels have any effect on the deterioration of the rubber hoses in our cars? 1 year seems a little shy of performing as they should.

My '69 is plumbed exactly as yours is with the exception of a second vent hose on the left side of the tank that goes to a 3 way union in the middle of the dash crossover. Here is where the vent hose from the right side comes across, joins with the vent hose from the left and the vent hose heading back down the left side running through the body next to the steering box plate eventually dumping to atmosphere.

I'm not sure if mine is correct, I'm still learning about it everyday. I always get so disappointed when I look at your guys photos. Your cars are so clean everywhere, even under the fender wells. I look at mine and just SMDH.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Tank breathers and fuel smells Reply with quote

overboost wrote:
I wonder if E-10 fuels have any effect on the deterioration of the rubber hoses in our cars? 1 year seems a little shy of performing as they should.

My '69 is plumbed exactly as yours is with the exception of a second vent hose on the left side of the tank that goes to a 3 way union in the middle of the dash crossover. Here is where the vent hose from the right side comes across, joins with the vent hose from the left and the vent hose heading back down the left side running through the body next to the steering box plate eventually dumping to atmosphere.

I'm not sure if mine is correct, I'm still learning about it everyday. I always get so disappointed when I look at your guys photos. Your cars are so clean everywhere, even under the fender wells. I look at mine and just SMDH.

I think we all feel that way. I know all the "little secrets" of my car and what is not correct, or perfect. But these cars are 50+ years old so I tell myself there's no way it's going to be perfect. But I still don't use any pictures that show the flaws! LOL. your car looks pretty darn good to me for a true survivor. This is just me, but I would maintain it to prevent any deterioration and enjoy it as is. Any Ghia is a beautiful Ghia.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camfella04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Tank breathers and fuel smells Reply with quote

I have a '72 and had the fuel smell for a long time. I changed out the filler neck hoses and the ventilation hoses as well and still I would get gas smell, especially after taking corners.

I was still trying to figure out where the smell was coming from, when I read over this thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674343 and got a better understanding as to what is under the gas filler in the wing over the passenger side wheel.

I reached up under and grabbed hold of the fuel filler overflow elbow (141-201-179) and sure enough, my hand came out smelling like gas. I wasn't able to get a replacement molded hose in Canada at the time and had to replace with a braided hose. There is a small crimp in the replacement hose and I will replace it with the appropriate part when I can get one - part is cheap, shipping is not so much.

Replacing the hose cured the gas smell, hopefully once and for all.

Airheads carry the hose https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/fuel-filler-overflow-elbow-141-201-179/[/url]
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tank breathers and fuel smells Reply with quote

Very few VW-specific rubber hoses are ethanol-compatible.
This might be the biggest challenge in the hobby today.
It's not just a smell problem but a safety issue as well.
Fuel lines, the gasket for the gas gauge sender, on and on.
Anything that touches fuel cracks and breaks in only a few months now.

What many have done is to buy the specific VW hose to get it in-hand,
Then go to your FLAPS or search online for a similar hose intended for a modern car.

Late Bus people have found that the filler hose from a Sprinter works, for example.

My latest iteration even includes access hatches fabricated for the annual inspection or replacement of rubber tank vent and fill hoses.. Rolling Eyes

What’s That Noise?!?
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tank breathers and fuel smells Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:
I was looking at a photo here in the Marcdeb thread and saw poorly plumbed tank breather and thought a thread could be useful about breathers and fuel smells. Various years are different particularly around 67 - 69 so if others have pictures or info it would be great to add it.
Mine is a 69 without a charcoal canister.
under the fender you can see the main tank vent going to the fill pipe

then a small hose going to a steel tube above the air vent

under the hood the little steel pipe goes to a hose that tucks up under the dash ...

Ian, the configuration of the pipes and tubes on my '68 Ghia are the same as yours, except that the tube connected to the small black pipe does not got into the front trunk in order to exit on the other side of the car. I can see no reason for that circuitous route.

I directed the overflow and venting from that small pipe using a "shepherds crook" behind the splash guard in order to vent and spill behind the front wheel below the rockers. (That small pipe is a vent, contrary to what I have posted elsewhere - Sorry Marc!) I'll post the sequence of my "solving the gas smell issue" below with photos. There was some trial and error, and with help from Swavananda I eventually solved the problem.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tank breathers and fuel smells Reply with quote

These are the hoses inside the front trunk. The smaller one is the overflow pipe which redirects overflow gas (petrol) into the tank.

In my chase to find the cause of the gas smell in the wheel well below, I replaced the tube in the wheel well.

The small black pipe pointing to the left in the photo is the vent fro that gas tank and was the cause of the gas and fumes spill in the wheel well. I cured the problem by attaching a tube to that pipe and directing the spill behind the splash guard. This was at Swavananda's suggestion.

No more gas smell.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tank breathers and fuel smells Reply with quote

Kiwighia68, that shepherds crook is a neat solution, with out going back into the trunk. i suspect the return into the trunk was to use the charcoal canister part of the system.
I know non USA cars still didn't have it in '69. Not sure about later years.
Does anybody know what year was the first year (in the US) for the charcoal canister?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tank breathers and fuel smells Reply with quote

The solution for the Ethanol in todays gas is STA-BIL 360 keeps it from attacking rubber, just add the proper amount to your gas every fill up and kiss Ethanol woes goodby
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Tank breathers and fuel smells Reply with quote

Agree, I run that in my chainsaws, log splitter, and snow blower (rarely used). Never have problems with fuel. Thanks for the tip and reminder, will also put that in my Ghia when it finally runs!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tank breathers and fuel smells Reply with quote

I just saw VW heritage have a kit that has the L shaped breather tube and the T piece with the skinny outlet to go to a charcoal canister, plus the usual filler hoses and seals.
https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/113298201-f...%3D.SqsVM4

If some one buys one it would be good to get a report on the quality.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: