Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much is this Thing worth?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunnyfloridathing2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: How much is this Thing worth? Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a 73 Thing and I'm thinking of selling it or maybe redoing it then selling it.

I love it very much and feel like it has a personality to itself. It is white, I painted it about ten years ago. Some rust. Needs new seats, side curtains, and a top. It needs some front end work or maybe a whole new front end. Ideally I'd hope to spend less than five refurbishing it. Always gets going when you need it to. I'm also in Florida and there's not as many things here as some other places like California.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience selling them. How fast did they sell, price and what condition was it in?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: How much is this Thing worth? Reply with quote

From what I see its going to take some love and $s to get it into a nice looking original condition. I am in Florida and have had several Things. In this condition, I would say 5-6k as it sits on a good day. If you start looking at parts and bodywork the dollars can add up fast ( real fast )....I've been there.
If you dont need the money...I would just hang onto it.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: How much is this Thing worth? Reply with quote

Sold this one in 1999 for $8000:

But...it was on Okinawa so it was rare.

It was running and passed the Japanese inspection-very strict-

It was also an original military version from Germany.

What you get for it basically what someone is willing to pay for it.

Is it running and driveable?
Does it have any rust in areas that are difficult to replace?
Does it have a current title and registration?

Looking at the classifieds on the Samba I would say around $3-4K, maybe more if the questions above are correctly answered-then possibly around $8k...
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stoned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: How much is this Thing worth? Reply with quote

I'm restoring my thing now. When I bought it two years ago it was purple and not running but complete. I paid $2500. A running thing that's complete can go from low end $5000 running and blah to show-room quality for $35,000. This all depends on where you live. check out NADA classic cars values for a guide. Good Luck

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: How much is this Thing worth? Reply with quote

Not the be-all-end-all by any means but if you scroll down you can get an idea of what they are selling for on Bring-A-Trailer

https://bringatrailer.com/volkswagen/thing/
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: