Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A bay flippers caution
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: A bay flippers caution Reply with quote

sorry to say but all of y'all would buy a bus to flip or hoard if it were priced under what the market would pay..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: A bay flippers caution Reply with quote

When I had Ducky out at the road, I had a bunch of people say "that's too cheap" (it wasn't, Ducky had issues). Funny how they just smiled and changed the subject when I would say "I'm open to higher offers."

The spread between value and what most people are willing to pay in the real world doesn't really get reflected in the auctions. As Skills pointed out years ago, the domestic muscle car guys figure this out a bit too late. A lot of speculators took a hosing when that market went soft, just like the Tri-5 and 55-57 TBird folks did when the muscle car market got hot.

The only good thing about the VW market is it has the ability to transcend out of the "I had one back in the day and I have more money than sense" into a cross-generation market where people thing they are cute, whimsical, and rather timeless. Will that translate into sustainable stupid prices? Probably not.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A bay flippers caution Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
As Skills pointed out years ago, the domestic muscle car guys figure this out a bit too late. A lot of speculators took a hosing when that market went soft, just like the Tri-5 and 55-57 TBird folks did when the muscle car market got hot..

it's odd, prices are back up or so it seems. if i were going to buy something i'd go into it knowing i'd own it for a year or 3 then roll it. lot's of collections coming up for sale as these old duffers can barely hold a tv remote let alone swing a hurst connected to a muncie.

it's funny to hear people bitch about flippers. some should look in the mirror before complaining they cant buy a 700 car and roll it for 5k.

i'm not against flipping. never really flipped a bus but have other cars that quite honestly were part of a deal where it was "you have to take all of it"

looking back do i miss or regret selling something? not really. do i regret not buying more? not really. i have had the space to store stuff for years now but why do that? then you become the "i'ma gunna fix it someday" guy when the reality is 1/2 of those assholes don't have the money let alone skillset to even do it on a DIY level

i realized long ago after flipping 'classic' junk i made more money shoveling a transmission and tires on a modern car and selling it as a kids first car/2nd car for a family.

some people want something nice and realize they just can't do it themselves so they buy one at auction. i'll never understand why people feel the need to shit on these guys. so what, they had the money and probably no time/space to diy so they wrote a check.

hobbies by and large have been fed by bottom feeders especially the car market. they lose their mind when some rich person comes along and writes a check. who cares?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: A bay flippers caution Reply with quote

I guess y’all would have to tell me if I’m gonna be a flipper or not. My intention is to retire from a paycheck in a few years and then start repairing and putting back together some of my odds and ends. I will be doing these projects as more of a hobby then as a means to pay the mortgage. I’m sure each one will take a while (maybe a year each). My intention is to enjoy it for a short while afterwards and then find a buyer to enjoy thereafter. Rinse and repeat.

I dont expect to regain my investment in labor hours as that would be unrealistic. Again, it will be my hobby and therapy. But, it would be nice if the value of a proper repair and build was realized.

It will be interesting to see what my 45 year old bus will be worth when its 50+ years old. I found the bill of sale from 1995. $1400 in Georgia

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: A bay flippers caution Reply with quote

it may work for you...as long as you don't log your hours

i'll save you some time here....

so lets say i have a bus...it's ok, not perfect. i cobble together an engine from crap i have laying around, make it run, weld in a battery tray fix anything electrical not up to snuff, buy new tires and a full brake job.

i'm into the parts for 2200 bux and say i bought the bus for 3k. break even is 5,200.

i list it for 6500 and get little action. the guy that offered 6k gets a call back and buys it.

i have roughly 145 hours in it. that was a lot of work for 800 bux.

i buy a 2016 volvo V70 that needs a head because the accessory belt tensioner locked up and pitched the belt into the timing belt cover. i buy this car for 5k. 1300 in parts and 30 hours in labor later i sell the car for 12,500

which would you rather do?

trust me....when your hobby becomes a job shit gets real and all the joy is zapped from it unless you get to sleep on a pillow full of money for your efforts

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: A bay flippers caution Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

so lets say i have a bus...it's ok, not perfect. i cobble together an engine from crap i have laying around, make it run, weld in a battery tray fix anything electrical not up to snuff, buy new tires and a full brake job.

i'm into the parts for 2200 bux and say i bought the bus for 3k. break even is 5,200.

i list it for 6500 and get little action. the guy that offered 6k gets a call back and buys it.

i buy a 2016 volvo V70 that needs a head because the accessory belt tensioner locked up and pitched the belt into the timing belt cover. i buy this car for 5k. 1300 in parts and 30 hours in labor later i sell the car for 12,500

trust me....when your hobby becomes a job shit gets real and all the joy is zapped from it unless you get to sleep on a pillow full of money for your efforts

Laughing

But hey, if it’s therapeutic for ya, it’s cheaper than a shrink or the results if you get caught bagging the neighbor’s old lady. You might even recoup some of your $.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: A bay flippers caution Reply with quote

FIFY.. You were missing some ones.

i'm into the parts for 12200 bux and say i bought the bus for 3k. break even is 15,200.

i list it for 16500 and get little action. the guy that offered 16k gets a call back and buys it.

i have roughly 1145 hours in it. that was a lot of work for 800 bux.

What’s That Noise?!?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: A bay flippers caution Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Laughing

But hey, if it’s therapeutic for ya, it’s cheaper than a shrink or the results if you get caught bagging the neighbor’s old lady. You might even recoup some of your $.

I found that was easy as her husband smelled like diesel all the time
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: A bay flippers caution Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
FIFY.. You were missing some ones.

Laughing

yea, larger outlay of cash for the same ROI. same dance, different song.

the only therapy i want is joint therapy from counting my money. all 7 dollars of it

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: A bay flippers caution Reply with quote

I gotta give credit to you guys that work on cars for a living then go home and work on hobby cars. I tried that when I worked for Chrysler. Last thing I wanted to do after wrenching on cars all day was wrench on my own.

Now my job has nothing to do with cars and I enjoy working on my old VWs.
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: A bay flippers caution Reply with quote

top end value in NADA for early bay, five years ago, 26k, now 61k

as another poster mentioned, cross generational appeal

still forefront in pop culture

inflation

I agree flipping can be a bear, but don't be in a hurry to sell if you are looking to....
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: A bay flippers caution Reply with quote

Between high margin suspension, brake, and oil changes I’m amazed there are any mechanics left in the world to work on anything else.

Now you can quick strut someone in an hour. Charge the $150 for a 5 minute toe in alignment, and use URO parts to make sure they come back, when you can do the brakes to cover the margin.

Add in a $150 detailing ( $359 for BMWs ) done by your kid fir a lollipop.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: