Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front brake upgrade for ’78 Rabbit w stock 13 inchers?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Front brake upgrade for ’78 Rabbit w stock 13 inchers? Reply with quote

What better caliper and rotor will fit behind the original 13” steel wheels? Will the GTI calipers and vented rotor fit? Any from a later MK2 or MK3?

Because my project seriously needs a brake upgrade.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake upgrade for ’78 Rabbit w stock 13 inchers? Reply with quote

The 9 inch rotors fit 13 inch wheels. The 10 inch rotors take 14 inch and the 11 inch take 15 inch wheels.
sgnimj96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake upgrade for ’78 Rabbit w stock 13 inchers? Reply with quote

I think you have get different spindles to do any brake upgrades on the old mk1's.

A while back I noticed these https://www.hansautoparts.com/Search.php?zoom_sort...zoom_and=1
and wonder what is possible with them.
Not much info but the part number claims it's mk1,2,3
72mm wheel bearings? Probably different hubs go with them

Seems like maybe they went on the the South African Mk1's that were made up to 2008
I would be really cool if someone could figure this out
sgnimj96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake upgrade for ’78 Rabbit w stock 13 inchers? Reply with quote

Well i looked further into it.
Those spindles go with mk3 hubs, the bearings for those are 40mm ID, 72mm OD

US mk1 front bearings are 34mm ID, 64mmOD so forget about those
they suck anyway

Will mk1 axles fit into mk3 hubs?
The front axle (spindle) nut for the mk1,2,3 is the same m20x1.5
Mk1 and mk3 (4cyl) hubs both show 22 splines
that's definitely a solid maybe

So the question remains, hasn't anyone done this before?
Why else would Pete stock those spindles that say they are for mk1's with 72mm bearings

Last edited by sgnimj96 on Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake upgrade for ’78 Rabbit w stock 13 inchers? Reply with quote

You need ‘81-‘84 Jetta/Rabbit or ‘81-‘92 Cabriolet front hubs, calipers, and outer CVs. The GTI rotors & pads will fit all of these.

Later Rabbit CVs will fit mkII & mkIII hubs, however, mkII & mkIII carriers need different balljoints (which will also require drilling of the control arms), and the bolt spacing where it bolts to the strut is also incorrect, as is the thickness of the carrier in the mounting bracket. This will require you to switch to mkII or mkIII struts. This is usually done because someone wants to slam their car to the ground & aftermarket coilovers are not available for MKI chassis.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake upgrade for ’78 Rabbit w stock 13 inchers? Reply with quote

I have a ‘76 Rabbit and never really felt the need for a brake upgrade. I also have a ‘92 Jetta that the brakes feel horribly inadequate on. Both cars can use 13” rims but the Jetta came with 14” so there is room for bigger discs.

I also have an ‘03 Lupo that has quite noticeably larger vented front brakes but 13” rims will not fit over them even though it is still the same bolt pattern as the Rabbit and the Jetta. It would be interesting to see if the Lupo parts would make an upgrade for the other 2 cars.

The problem with the newer Jetta parts is they went to a 5 bolt wheel.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Front brake upgrade for ’78 Rabbit w stock 13 inchers? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I have a ‘76 Rabbit and never really felt the need for a brake upgrade. I also have a ‘92 Jetta that the brakes feel horribly inadequate on. Both cars can use 13” rims but the Jetta came with 14” so there is room for bigger discs.

I also have an ‘03 Lupo that has quite noticeably larger vented front brakes but 13” rims will not fit over them even though it is still the same bolt pattern as the Rabbit and the Jetta. It would be interesting to see if the Lupo parts would make an upgrade for the other 2 cars.

The problem with the newer Jetta parts is they went to a 5 bolt wheel.

Mk3 Golf/Jetta 4-lug 10” brakes are a direct swap to the Mk2 when using the mk3 spindles/hub carriers & 14”wheels.

Corrado 4-lug 11” can also be used if using mk3 spindles/hub carriers & 15” wheels.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: