Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let's talk about fire extinguishers!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Let's talk about fire extinguishers! Reply with quote

Something I've been considering recently now that my super is back on the road is a fire extinguisher. Personally, I have only had one engine fire on my own car, and that was the passenger side air filter on my kadron- it caught fire on the freeway, and I was able to smother it with a jacket. I only lost the plastic bits in the carb, and the wire harness on that side of the engine bay. It could have been much worse Shocked

Most recently, spencerfvee had a fire, that hit me fairly hard, as he has a great car, and I always love reading his posts and seeing his car coming together.

spencerfvee wrote:
update. i had a bad day two days ago. i was test driving my bug. after i installed a bigger main jet in my carb . the motor was back firing when i was driving down the road. i looked in my back at my rear window and the motor was on fire . the car died . i jumped out and grabed. the fire ex, ( cant spell it stay in school ) and put the fire out . what a mess .the powder makes. i had to hand push the car back to my house. thanks to some guys that helped me push the car to my drive way . i was very upset and because had a car show to go to in two weeks . i sat down and told my self thats it. i am done with this car . it hates me lol well after 60 mins. i cooled down and looked over the damage .and took the top sheet metal off of the motor. white powder every where . i found out that the needle seat stuck wide open .and let gas go every. where dam china empi pic 34 carb . EVERY ONE SHOULD HAVE A FIRE EX > IN THERE VWS . it saved my bug from burning down to the ground .thank god i had a fire ex. in my bug i was to far from my house to get as fire ex in time . i am going to buy 3 new fire ex for all my cars . will post some photos soon take care spencerfvee

from his thread here- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=727957&start=300

So, now that I'm actually getting my car sorted out better, I want to get a fire extinguisher that I can mount in the car, within reasonable reach of the driver. That way, if I have any issues I can easily grab it on my way out of the car, and have it ready. I know that I will need one rated for gasoline, electrical, etc. I would also like one that can be easily mounted, maybe on the center tunnel hump, or the front edge of the passenger seat.

Does anybody have any recommendations? Or maybe even ideas on mounting? My main thing is that I'm not sure what capacity I want- 1lb? 2lb?

This is for my 73 Super beetle, that is getting some sort of Corbeau seats in the next month or so.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about fire extinguishers! Reply with quote

https://www.gowesty.com/product/safety/24393/blazecut-fire-suppression-system
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about fire extinguishers! Reply with quote

I have a small on that I keep on a quick release mount under my glove box. I can grab that instantly. Then I have a big fire extinguisher in the trunk just in case.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I once had a fire in my bug, passenger shorted out the seat springs on the battery and the old horse hair went up fast.
That was before the fire extinguisher and luckily a random person heard my screams for help and ran out of their house with a hose on full blast.... I drove home that day with a floorplan full of water. No real damage other that the rear seat and side panels.

Last edited by evanfrucht on Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about fire extinguishers! Reply with quote

You should do a search since this has been discussed many times... but here goes.

Get a Halotron unit, it's a "clean agent" and leaves no residue. It's also environmentally safe and EPA approved.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dunk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about fire extinguishers! Reply with quote

Take a look at these...

Www.firesafetystick.com
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about fire extinguishers! Reply with quote

I had my first, and hopefully EVER engine fire a few weeks back. I had an insulator sleeve around the intake manifold since my 40hp big bore engine has its heat risers blocked off for the 1 3/8" header I'm running, and I made the stupid mistake of spraying starter fluid at the base of the carb while checking for vacuum leaks.

Hot insulator jacket plus starter fluid = fire. Fortunately I had a dry chemical extinguiser handy and was able to put it out. Was in my garage, and could've burned my car and house down!

That chemical does make quite a caustic mess, and I "think" I've rinsed it all off the engine. The only lasting harm was the burned up manifold insulator (will never use that again!) and some melted charred insulation on the alternator wiring.

Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall
GMendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about fire extinguishers! Reply with quote

These are hard to beat:
https://elementfire.com/

Lightweight, compact, easy to store. No need to worry about a traditional extinguisher become a projectile if it comes loose.

Last edited by GMendoza on Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about fire extinguishers! Reply with quote

One 5lb extinguisher on the cage with a Kartek steel quick release, and one 2.5lb mini under each seat in my Chenowth buggy, on the Scott Drake quick release mounts. The car doesn't even go to the grocery without them.

Halon would usually/almost always save your ass, but I watched a K5 Blazer burn to the ground on a mountainside because the wind dispersed the Halotron way too fast for it to do anything remotely useful. I can't say that a dry chem would have ABSOLUTELY saved his truck, but it sure would have let him put up a fight.

Around town and probably for usage in the confines of an engine bay for a wind break like Glenn is illustrating is a very reasonable use for Halon/halotron. Be careful if you're doing blustery mountainside adventure stuff- probably just go with the trusty ole' dry chem.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about fire extinguishers! Reply with quote

You know what they say about fire extinguishers; If you have one, you'll probably never need it. Wink

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about fire extinguishers! Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
You know what they say about fire extinguishers; If you have one, you'll probably never need it. Wink

Used mine once for a air filter fire. I was able to.drive home.after.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about fire extinguishers! Reply with quote

I have seen too many bugs in flames in the early years.

Engine compartment gives you time to get it.

But watch out for this one. I was removing the rear set and one of the springs under the seat hit the positive side for the battery that I was removing to charge for the winter in my garage. The plastic cover was off the post.

The really old horse hair burst into flames in second. The seat was wedged between the back rest and the front seats, and I could not open the door wide enough because I was in the garage. Finally got to the extinguisher.

Lucky to have it. I have no rugs so clean up was a breeze.

People now have no idea of having an extinguisher in the newer cars.
My friend asked if it was a nitrous oxide bottle

LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about fire extinguishers! Reply with quote

I've personally put out a serious kitchen fire (cabinets ablaze, flames licking up the walls, I was 14yrs old). Then later a couple car fires, one very recent stand out was a '49 Merc lead sled street rod I put out along side the road in Byron CA (near you, in Antioch). Both the kitchen and the Merc were headed toward total losses.

I can say I had (2) essential things going for me in both instances: Knowledge (and the 'confidence to act' that comes with it), and equipment. With the Merc, I had (2) 5lb dry chem extinguishers in the trailer, and (1) 2lb in the van. It took all three to put that beautiful $80k hot rod's fire out!

I'm not trying to impress anyone, rather, trying to impress upon everyone to
A) carry equipment, learn how to use it
B) act quickly and with purpose

I practice with out of date, or 'low on pressure' extinguishers I've taken out of service.

1/4 cup gasoline in a steel oil drain pan in the middle of a green lawn, ignite it with a torch. Put it out. Hand the extinguisher to a family member, let them give it a try. There's nothing like a little experience.

A-B-C dry chem is common and very effective, have never used haylon or it's replacement, but I'm sure they work very well.
mikemck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about fire extinguishers! Reply with quote

I have an Element extinguisher mounted at the front edge of the driver's seat.

I also have another extinguisher inside the engine compartment.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about fire extinguishers! Reply with quote

4 teenagers were driving without seatbelt about 5 years ago a car hit them broadside against a wall. Guys ran to help, we could not get the doors open.

I ran with my extinguisher and cut the battery cables. Lucky no fire.

Then the Ambulance came, they had head and body injuries, and they had to work thru the windows till the fire trucks came.

After that I carry a 4 foot Gorilla Bar in my trunk so I will never feel so helpless again.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about fire extinguishers! Reply with quote

Belt & suspenders for my Thing.
A Halotron in the cabin, and a BlazeCut in the engine compartment.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about fire extinguishers! Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
You should do a search since this has been discussed many times... but here goes.

I have absolutely garbage luck searching on this site for some reason- I wasn't able to find much of anything useful.

nextgen wrote:
I have seen too many bugs in flames in the early years.

Engine compartment gives you time to get it.

But watch out for this one. I was removing the rear set and one of the springs under the seat hit the positive side for the battery that I was removing to charge for the winter in my garage. The plastic cover was off the post.

The really old horse hair burst into flames in second. The seat was wedged between the back rest and the front seats, and I could not open the door wide enough because I was in the garage. Finally got to the extinguisher.

Lucky to have it. I have no rugs so clean up was a breeze.

People now have no idea of having an extinguisher in the newer cars.
My friend asked if it was a nitrous oxide bottle

Back when I had my 61 Baja I was leaning over the back seat one time with my knees on the seat bottom, and my knee got very hot, and I blasted out of there like a rocket! Fortunately I had a large drink on hand to dump on it before it got more than a smolder.

I really like your mounting location, looks like a very practical spot. I was thinking that or directly in front of the passenger seat, bolted to the 73-later forward seat mount hump. It would be easy to get to and somewhat out of the way to prevent it getting knocked into.

Looks like I need to look for a 2.5lb or better halotron.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about fire extinguishers! Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Belt & suspenders for my Thing.
A Halotron in the cabin, and a BlazeCut in the engine compartment.

I think this is the ultimate solution. Being about to activate the suppression system immediately. If you are slowly driving or notice the fire but must take time to come to a full stop before you can exit the car with your hand held extinguisher these precious seconds can make a difference between minor damage to moderate or major or even total loss. I drive a mostly stock junker late model so I carry a hand held extinguisher
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about fire extinguishers! Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
I once had a fire in my bug, passenger shorted out the seat springs on the battery and the old horse hair went up fast.
That was before the fire extinguisher and luckily a random person heard my screams for help and ran out of their house with a hose on full blast.... I drove home that day with a floorplan full of water. No real damage other that the rear seat and side panels.

When will all you VW owners ever LEARN? Our cars came out of the factory with RECESSED BATTERY POSTS, plastic COVER over the POSITIVE post and/or a BATTERY COVER!

What the #*&%** do you guys think that was all for? To give the owners something to throw in the garbage on his days off to battle boredom? Good Lord!!! What do you think is going to happen??!!

Sorry to go off on a rant like this but MAN!!! I have been seeing this same stupid thing happening over and over and over now for 50 years and it still does not STOP!! Will it EVER stop?

This is a case of an ounce of fore thought is worth 2 pounds of fire extinguisher!

To once again quote our resident Mark Tucker "You can't fix stupid!"

I want every one of you to go out to your cars right now and lift up the back seat. If all that is missing... take that back seat out and leave it out until you get it fixed! At the very least put a piece of 3/8" plywood over the battery. This is not a hard thing to do!

Last edited by oprn on Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about fire extinguishers! Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
evanfrucht wrote:

When will all you VW owners ever LEARN? Our cars came out of the factory with RECESSED BATTERY POSTS, plastic COVER over the POSITIVE post and a BATTERY COVER!

What the #*&%** do you guys think that was all for? To give the owners something to throw in the garbage on his days off to battle boredom? Good Lord!!! What do you think is going to happen??!!

Sorry to go off on a rant like this but MAN!!! I have been seeing this same stupid thing happening over and over and over now for 50 years and it still does not STOP!! Will it EVER stop?

This is a case of an ounce of fore thought is worth 2 pounds of fire extinguisher!

To once again quote our resident Mark Tucker "You can't fix stupid!"

I want every one of you to go out to your cars right now and lift up the back seat. If all that is missing... take that back seat out and leave it out until you get it fixed! At the very least put a piece of 3/8" plywood over the battery. This is not a hard thing to do!

Agree 100%.....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about fire extinguishers! Reply with quote

As I said I was removing the battery and took the cover off to get at the Nut to loosen the cable.

Did not even think about the seat hitting it.

So I think that would not come under dumb, more like Dumb + !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: