Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Super Beetle heat
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: 1978 Super Beetle heat Reply with quote

After 5 years, I am actually getting the heat enabled in my '78 Super.
Drivers side has new hose and is complete. I actually felt heat driving home last night.
But I have some questions and issues:
Questions:
The levers in between the seats say heat/defrost and the other Temp.
I believe the one closest to the driver, heat/defrost, controls the flapper off the heat boxes. Is that correct?
What does the temp cable control?
I want to turn off heat under the rear seat blowing forward. Will the controls do that or do I eliminate that feed and run a tube directly to the heater channels?

Passenger side blower tube to connect to the heater boxes.
Right now, there is a piece of the engine tin blocking any access to the connection to the heater box:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The space on the J Tube is blocked by that tin. I do not see any way to route it and have heat on the passenger side.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Kevin

Click to view image
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle heat Reply with quote

Remove and rotate the deflector 180* and re install it. Need to get the stove pipe installed and hose run to the air filter. May need to get extender for heater box.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/113255107REP.html
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle heat Reply with quote

Yes, that lower deflector is on backwards.
As for the tubes this may help: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=758290

For lever function look in the owners manual: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type1.php , IIRC one (temp) controls the amount of flow from the engine and DEF selects floor or windshield. All the floor outlet cables are connected together so the rear and front footwell valves all open or close simutaniously.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle heat Reply with quote

Ok, after looking at images,that deflector is not on backwards. It's actually correct, it has a cut out for the dipstick tube and fits correctly. The heater hose does not go thru there.
I was looking at the routing of the fan to heater box hose and see how it wraps around now. It goes behind the J Tube and up thru the shroud.
The drivers side is a direct shot. Passenger winds around a little.
Easy Peasy.

I will get the heat and fresh air intake hoses installed. I am not interested in the rear heat, so I will probably remove the assembly under the rear seat and run a direct hose so I have all available heat up front.

Thanks Guys!

Click to view image
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle heat Reply with quote

There's something funny going on with that deflector, it should be tight up against the cylinder and head fins, it's job is to direct cooling air to wrap around the cylinders.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle heat Reply with quote

Turning it 180* is not an option. That would put it into the block, not possible.
My choice is remove it or leave it as is. There's a chance it doesn't belong to this car. The the engine was out when I bought it and could have mixed parts. It's not in the way so I'll leave it for now.

Click to view image
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle heat Reply with quote

If you want to get rid of the heat to the rear of the car, you don’t need to remove the Y pipes and replace with a straight hose. Just unhook any heater-control wires that attached to them, and close the inner flaps by hand.

This works, assuming you have still-intact on/off flaps in the Y pipes under the rear seat.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle heat Reply with quote

Thanks Tim. I just went and studied the assembly under the rear seat and finally found the cable that controls that unit.
I see now I am good to go once I hook up the other hoses.
Appreciate everyone's input.
Kevin

Click to view image
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle heat Reply with quote

KKiley wrote:

I believe the one closest to the driver, heat/defrost, controls the flapper off the heat boxes. Is that correct?
What does the temp cable control?

This is incorrect. The one labeled TEMP controls the flaps on the heater boxes. More open = more hot air allowed into the car = more TEMP Laughing

I don't remember for your hear if it's one Y-shaped cable that splits off to each flap or if it's two separate cables (one for each flap) that connect to the TEMP lever.

The HEAT/DEF lever simply controls which vents the hot air comes out of. That lever should be connected to cables that run to the front footwell vents and the rear footwell vents. When you move the lever to DEF, the cables should close the front and rear footwell vents so that all the heat is forced up to the DEF ducts in the dash. When it's in HEAT position all the footwell vents will be open, and naturally you can run it in any position between the two extremes as well to adjust so that you have air flow where you need it.

The cables that operate the footwell vents are often missing/broken and the flaps in the front footwell vents especially are sometimes seized up so you may have a little rehabbing to do to get it to work right.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle heat Reply with quote

KKiley wrote:
Turning it 180* is not an option. That would put it into the block, not possible.
My choice is remove it or leave it as is. There's a chance it doesn't belong to this car. The the engine was out when I bought it and could have mixed parts. It's not in the way so I'll leave it for now.

I think you have a LH one on the RH side, like in this pic below:

This is an earlier example shown below, there's a breather you don't have, but the tin itself should hug the cylinder and head in the same way:

Слава Україні!
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle heat Reply with quote

I see what you are saying Busdaddy. If I can remove it and put it on the correct side, I will. As long as I don't have to drop the engine to access it, haha
Kevin

Click to view image
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle heat Reply with quote

You shouldn't have to remove the engine, but it may be a 2 person job to hold the part up in place from below while you screw from above.

Слава Україні!
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle heat Reply with quote

From the cabin heating sticky:

Diagrams showing what the two levers do:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=...ms#9157188
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle heat Reply with quote

Thanks Almost, perfect explanation. I am getting the system fully functional so I can enjoy the car later in the season.
Next year's goal is a top!
Kevin

Click to view image
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle heat Reply with quote

Mental note: Right lever up, left lever down. That will accomplish what I want.
This car is so much fun now, I want to enjoy it this fall.
I am going to start buying parts for the top over the winter so I have everything I need.
I really appreciate everyone's input.
Kevin

Click to view image
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle heat Reply with quote

Once you get it sorted properly, you'll love the heat! The heat in the fuel injected bugs is strong IF everything is in place and working correct. You should have an S shaped metal pipe to go between the tin and passenger heater box
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
firerod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle heat Reply with quote

How does the stovepipe mount to the engine?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle heat Reply with quote

firerod wrote:
How does the stovepipe mount to the engine?

With a tin screw and a manifold nut, shown in this thread linked above: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=758290

Слава Україні!
firerod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Super Beetle heat Reply with quote

Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: