Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Subaru Engine is best for swaps in a 73 Westy
EJ25
90%
 90%  [ 10 ]
EJ22
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
EJ20
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

Musicman811
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

Which Subaru engines have y'all used to swap your buses/bugs? I have a 73 Westy and I hear that IF you want to make that swap it is best to use an EJ20? Do y'all have a preference of Outback? Legacy? Forester? Other?
Let me know what y'all think.
Thanks!

Update: I have the EJ25 along with the ECU and Wire Harness - Should I find a Subaru fuse box or should I find a 73 westy fuse box? and what is the name of the wires that run from the ECU to the engine? I cannot think if . . . maybe it doesn't exist . . .

Last edited by Musicman811 on Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

Search under user skills@eurocarsplus, he does a frankenmotor that might be the best option.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

the 2.2 is long in the tooth at this point and honestly, a bit more complex with the water controlled (and expensive) IAC

yes, i did a frankenmotor and although it pulls like a billy goat on meth i don't know i would do it again using the 2.2 management. plus it requires head work and custom head gaskets

any 2.5 will be fine. if you're greedy a 2.5 with a set of cams makes for s pretty fun setup as well.

any 2.5 from 99 on will be fine. 04/05 was a switch to drive by wire which complicates things a bit. personally i like the drive by cable for the swaps

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
the 2.2 is long in the tooth at this point and honestly, a bit more complex with the water controlled (and expensive) IAC

yes, i did a frankenmotor and although it pulls like a billy goat on meth i don't know i would do it again using the 2.2 management. plus it requires head work and custom head gaskets

any 2.5 will be fine. if you're greedy a 2.5 with a set of cams makes for s pretty fun setup as well.

any 2.5 from 99 on will be fine. 04/05 was a switch to drive by wire which complicates things a bit. personally i like the drive by cable for the swaps

^This 100%

My donor was a 99 Forester, so its a SOHC EJ25. I did a new shortblock from the dealer, rebuilt heads, new cam, new water pump, new timing set, etc all factory parts, and I've got essentially a brand new factory EJ25. I'm at almost 3 years in now, >12k miles, zero issues. Routines oil changes only.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
vacca_rabite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

I've driven a ton of these engines.
The 2.2 would struggle to move an Outback Sport up hill with the AC on sometimes. Putting it in a bus would be better but you really want the 2.5.

With the 2.5 you need to be wary of engine temps as the headgaskets can fail faster then the 2.2. But the extra 30odd HP and torque more then make up for this.

Zach
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:

I'm at almost 3 years in now, >12k miles, zero issues.

At only 4,000 miles a year, it hardly seems worthy of a swap, much less bragging about its dependability.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

ok, between all the swap i have done over the years collectively all of them have 210K miles and counting (post conversion)

only failures

1) water pump started to leak

1) coolant level sender got flaky

2 engines were used. one with 150+/-k on it before the swap and one had 199k on it.

the one with 199k on it was for a customer i had serviced the T4 for about 6 years prior to the swap. we went into it knowing the engine will go pop at some point.

that bus has been to 20 states now and they literally drive it like it's a taxi.

other than the above mentioned, it's all been gas and oil changes. nothing else

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

Trust me, I’m not shitting on the idea of a swap, or even the choice of donor, it was just that 4,000 miles a year was not a great testament of long term performance. That engine hasn’t really hasn’t even been broken in yet.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

I'm going to piggyback on this thread post with another question:

Does it matter whether the donor is a auto or manual?
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

Does the ECU care that there is a set of different cams in there etc ?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

where da hell did ya hear the 2.0 was the one to go...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geristauffer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

I can't speak for the 2.2, but the 2.5 is awesome. Only issue i have is not enough time off of work to go camping. Wink
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
I'm going to piggyback on this thread post with another question:

no. the ECU is unisex. just need to ground the A/T M/T pin on the ecu

panel wrote:

Does the ECU care that there is a set of different cams in there etc ?

if you get too wild, it might.

geristauffer wrote:
I can't speak for the 2.2, but the 2.5 is awesome. Only issue i have is not enough time off of work to go camping. Wink

^^^^ that is what it's all about. blow off work and just go. no farting around. gas up, pack it full and roll out

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

no. the ECU is unisex. just need to ground the A/T M/T pin on the ecu

I thought I saw somewhere that there's a timing chain guide on one or the other that could potentially jump timing if you don't have it.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

manual transmission cars had the hoop for the timing belt. automatics did not.

that has nothing to do with the ECU

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Oil Phil-M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

Quote:

If you can get the last 8 digits of the VIN number of the donor vehicle it will help you in the future. Subaru has so many mid year production changes the first question the dealer asks you is for the VIN.

The only swap I have ever done is a '02 2.5 in place if a '00 2.5 in my Outback after the supposed "rebuilt" motor snapped its timing belt. Both vehicles identical down to the colour yet its amazing the amount of the differences in the throttle body, injectors, intake and exhaust monitoring, crank and cam sensors and of course the engine wiring harnesses. For some years like 2000 there was a difference in all of those thinks between AT and MT. By 2002 the differences seem to disappear. Knowing what vehicle it came out of will save you a bunch of grief getting parts or future repairs.

Also MT engines have a critical timing belt feature that the AT engines dont have. Its a curved retainer plate located atop the crank pulley that is set up with around mm clearance from the belt to prevent it from skipping off the crank cog if the engine was to rotate backwards. Something that can happen with a MT but not an AT. If you are mating your motor to an MT you will need to ensure the retainer is there.
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

He didn't ask about the ECU.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

blue72beetle wrote:

He didn't ask about the ECU.

ok, got me Rolling Eyes

the ecu or the engine doesn't care if it's a MT or AT donor. the only difference is the ECU pin for AT or MT. the block/crank etc is all the same. you should add the timing belt hoop for use in a MT swap if the donor was a AT

the only difference is the pin on the ecu.

i thought my answer of no it doesn't matter laying out the only real difference was a good enough explanation.

evidently my efforts have been thwarted. drats

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Vee Dub Nut wrote:

I'm at almost 3 years in now, >12k miles, zero issues.

At only 4,000 miles a year, it hardly seems worthy of a swap, much less bragging about its dependability.

Oooh, a jab at Skills favorite bus on the samba…
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

there is something about that bus that makes me moister than an oyster and i'm not really a late bay guy

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: