Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for a supplier of full width rear bench/bed hardware
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69tr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Looking for a supplier of full width rear bench/bed hardware Reply with quote

I have a 1984 tintop GL passenger van. My rear seat only folds forward, it is not the full bed type of bench.

I am looking to get a full width rear bench/bed.

The rear foam mattress engine cover would be great too, but I can probably make somethingif I can't find that.

Yes, I have searched the classifieds. Only 1 set and it has new upholstry and is located in CA.

Does anyone know of a source for the hardware needed to make a folding bed?

Thanks!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for full width rear bench/bed Reply with quote

Place a WTB ad in the classifieds.
But I know that member DuncanS in your area has a newer GL folding assembly he is willing to part with.
Cushions would be grey if he even has them, but I'd wager that modifications can be made to your brown ones to make them fit.

Sewfine can provide a rear cushion.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69tr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a supplier of full width rear bench/bed hardware Reply with quote

Thank you Dave! I've seen Duncan's posts about his rear bed/bench set-up. I will post an ad too.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a supplier of full width rear bench/bed hardware Reply with quote

I have one 2 hours away from you, give me a call. 518.766.5654
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a supplier of full width rear bench/bed hardware Reply with quote

My hinges went to a guy in Alaska. Still have the mattresses though. 2 of them plus some extra.

This guy has a ton of stuff. Have bought some parts from him. He is at the Connecticut/Rhode Island border.

Alexander Denette [email protected]

Duncan
69tr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a supplier of full width rear bench/bed hardware Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
My hinges went to a guy in Alaska. Still have the mattresses though. 2 of them plus some extra.

This guy has a ton of stuff. Have bought some parts from him. He is at the Connecticut/Rhode Island border.

Alexander Denette [email protected]

Duncan

Thank you Duncan!
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a supplier of full width rear bench/bed hardware Reply with quote

Bus Depot sells the westy sofabed hinges. You can make that version of the seat any width you want.

https://www.busdepot.com/251898561

They also sell the bay bus style if you want the bed higher to accommodate a raised engine lid due to engine conversion.

https://www.busdepot.com/98553

For example:

dougnlina wrote:
I made a wider bed than the westy version using these bus depot hinges
https://www.busdepot.com/98553

I suggest mocking it up first to get the geometry correct as the plans that come with them are designed for a bay window. I also had to accommodate a raised hatch (1.8T). This kit is nice as the bench base can be flipped up from the bed position to be look out the back couch. Photos are pre-upholstery of course

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There has been a bit of discussion of the comfort of seats made with these hinges. I am convinced that the comfort is determined by the angles you use for the seat position and those angles are entirely adjustable.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a supplier of full width rear bench/bed hardware Reply with quote

I'm in the process of designing a custom camping interior for our EV, and have purchased those Bay hinges (Just Kampers version). They're very high quality, and since I don't have a rear drivetrain hump to contend with, I can mount them at whatever height or angle I like. I wish I'd known BD also sells the Westfalia hinge design, as it probably wouldn't require so much fiddling about to get the angle just right.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a supplier of full width rear bench/bed hardware Reply with quote

The vanagon westy hinges would also allow a lower bed position which IMO is advantageous (more headroom) unless there is a reason for it to be raised (e.g. for clearance over a raised engine lid).
john_lessard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a supplier of full width rear bench/bed hardware Reply with quote

Just saw this for sale in Rhode Island:

https://providence.craigslist.org/pts/d/block-island-vw-vanagon-seats/7373467232.html

This is a screaming deal since just the rear bench itself typically sells for this asking price. The catch is you'll need to travel and coordinate to get everything.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a supplier of full width rear bench/bed hardware Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
I have one 2 hours away from you, give me a call. 518.766.5654

Then give me a ping as I drive by Andrews every week and pass Shelton on the way to the Bridgeport ferry.

I also have a Providence trip coming up if someone wants those seats.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: