Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Adding new material adds a little thickness and my upholstery guy made new door panel boards, so I need to do a little extra trimming around where the door pulls fit, a little to tight and can't get them to seat clean. I may try to trim or take them back and have the guy work them a bit so I don't screw it up.

We had the same problem. Adding washers to the interior metal pull support to raise it helped.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Can't get over the fact that that vinyl dash face is looking awsome (together with the stiched dash), much nicer than stock Cool Almost looks like a 60's Jag interior Very Happy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
rbsurfguy wrote:
Adding new material adds a little thickness and my upholstery guy made new door panel boards, so I need to do a little extra trimming around where the door pulls fit, a little to tight and can't get them to seat clean. I may try to trim or take them back and have the guy work them a bit so I don't screw it up.

We had the same problem. Adding washers to the interior metal pull support to raise it helped.

Thanks Michael, this is a good idea, will try and see how it works!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thanks Vlad, I am liking it too! Came out really nice.
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Looking sharp Jeff. Can't wait to see your carpet go in.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

I like the idea of a raised head C/S screw and a finish washer, typical of cars of the time and if you need to you can take it off again Wink
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thanks Marc, one step closer to putting on the nose badge!

I was thinking the same thing Ian using the C/S screw and finish washer. For the right side I have plenty of 'meat' to install a screw, on the left side, I may not have so much and may just leave it as is. I'll have to stare at it for a few more hours before I get up the courage to actually try it, don't want to F something up and then have to try something else...done that too many times already breaking off drill bits and not being able to get them out!!! UGH!

Jeff

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

I need some help with pics. Searched the gallery and nothing what I am looking for.

I am getting ready to mount my glove box back in place. Does anyone with a 70-71 up have a pic of how, and where, the hood release cable runs/routes? I thought it ran along the inside of the right fender and then to the release mechanism. In pre-fitting, it seems a bit too stiff to make such a harsh turn from the left side of the box. Does it run across the gas tank and then tuck under the right side?

If anyone has theirs accessible to snap a pic and post here, it would be appreciated or if there is a pic in the gallery which I can't find. Thanks
Jeff

overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

I think my '69 is the same as the '70-'71?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

I think you are correct and that is how I remember it routing. Thanks for that!
Jeff

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

For those of you that jumped over from the "What did you do this week" topic, welcome, for those that just follow, welcome back.

The saga of windshield installation.
Several weeks back I mounted the rubber on the windshield to let it sit in place and get comfortable. I had pre-fitted, just laying it into the frame to see how it fit and what possible problems I could prep for. Today I was out in the Ghia Haus and decided, what the heck, let me give this a try and see how it goes, and if I need to call one of my banged up friends to help press on it before I start throwing wrenches. After reading several threads and the 'How To' stickies, multiple times, and seeing all the problems people were having, I wasn't sure if I was in the mood to spend 2-12 hours trying to get the windshield in place, but what the hell...Since I live by the saying, "if your gonna do something go all the way, half measures are for pussies", I decided, I'm all in!

Preparation steps
I was using a classic Cal Style rubber from West Coast Metric that I've had for some time, not the vaunted blocked corner style many have found more favorable. I thought since I have it I'll use this and if it sucks I'll go for the better style.....all in.

First thing I did was to get a long piece of 16 gauge(?) electrical wire to shove down into the trough to use as my pull to drag the rubber over the frame. I figured this was decent because it's small, plastic coated, and fairly strong, also figuring if it broke I could go up a gauge or try something else. Crossed those over to start at the bottom center. Also put some painters tape along the edge of my newly upholstered dash pad, just in case!

Second, I thought why not take some nylon garden twine and stuff that into the outer trough so I could try tugging on that once, and if, I get the windshield in place, figuring it would be easy to pull and bring the rubber edge over the outer frame. Crossed those over at the top and taped them down

Third, I got some goopy liquid hand soap, dabbed some on my fingers, and worked it into the inner trough and rubbed it along the base that would seat onto the frame, all the way around. Gets a bit messy but I guess that's the point. After glopping that all the way around I figured it was time to go for it.

Installation Time
Finally, laid the windshield into place, bottom edge first, trying to actually fit as much over the bottom lip as possible, centering it in the frame as much as possible side to side....Sorry, I was too into it to stop and take pics, but those who have installed a windshield know what's happening. Time to start pulling wire...fingers crossed, Sirius satellite radio hard rock volume up so the neighbors can't hear the swearing. Since the bottom edge was mostly over the lip, that went easy, coming up on the first corner I figured wouldn't be too difficult since not a lot of pressure, rounded the bottom and top corners, no problem, run along the top, going well, coming to the dreaded opposite corner, push pull, pressure, pull, things are going........Here's how it ended up.....

I must have done something wrong, because it only took me about 4 minutes to get the inner and outer seals in place!!!! I kept checking the entire edge inside to make sure all was good, and it was. When I went around the right side lower corner, I gave it a little pressure while pulling the wire, and it actually made that little seal sound, you know when it fits in exactly like it should? Windshield fits tight, outer seal spread out well and looks like it will work.

The only real problem I had was not being able to swear out loud and relieve the frustration...well I did get some victory headbanging in while Rammstein played in the background..Ironic that A German heavy metal band starts playing just as I finish installing the windshield on a Volkswagen..some days are too hard to explain...End of that saga!

As I was saying in the other thread, had trouble with the hood release cable. It was hard to open and had to keep adjusting the cable to make the pull easier. At one point it didn't open and I figured the cable slipped. Luckily I had prepared for this and had taken out the horns, so I reached up through the hole and popped it open again. Loosened up the retaining screw to shove some more cable into the hole and try to get the latch right, when I went to über tighten the screw, it snapped the head off.....ugh will have to figure out how to remove that now.

But hey, I got the windshield in place in only a few minutes, so a win overall!
Jeff

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Hey, good going! I remember how relieved I was when that was done.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

You missed out on the real torture by skipping the T trim install. It’s like having Torquemada lock you up in the Iron Maiden without the spikes.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Yeah I got rid of that stuff a long time ago. And who said a little Iron Maiden isn't fun, at least the band that is....Run to the Hills!!!
Jeff

kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
For those of you that jumped over from the "What did you do this week" topic, welcome, for those that just follow, welcome back.

The saga of windshield installation.
Several weeks back I mounted the rubber on the windshield to let it sit in place and get comfortable. I had pre-fitted, just laying it into the frame to see how it fit and what possible problems I could prep for. Today I was out in the Ghia Haus and decided, what the heck, let me give this a try and see how it goes, and if I need to call one of my banged up friends to help press on it before I start throwing wrenches. After reading several threads and the 'How To' stickies, multiple times, and seeing all the problems people were having, I wasn't sure if I was in the mood to spend 2-12 hours trying to get the windshield in place, but what the hell...Since I live by the saying, "if your gonna do something go all the way, half measures are for pussies", I decided, I'm all in!

Preparation steps
I was using a classic Cal Style rubber from West Coast Metric that I've had for some time, not the vaunted blocked corner style many have found more favorable. I thought since I have it I'll use this and if it sucks I'll go for the better style.....all in.

First thing I did was to get a long piece of 16 gauge(?) electrical wire to shove down into the trough to use as my pull to drag the rubber over the frame. I figured this was decent because it's small, plastic coated, and fairly strong, also figuring if it broke I could go up a gauge or try something else. Crossed those over to start at the bottom center. Also put some painters tape along the edge of my newly upholstered dash pad, just in case!

Second, I thought why not take some nylon garden twine and stuff that into the outer trough so I could try tugging on that once, and if, I get the windshield in place, figuring it would be easy to pull and bring the rubber edge over the outer frame. Crossed those over at the top and taped them down

Third, I got some goopy liquid hand soap, dabbed some on my fingers, and worked it into the inner trough and rubbed it along the base that would seat onto the frame, all the way around. Gets a bit messy but I guess that's the point. After glopping that all the way around I figured it was time to go for it.

Installation Time
Finally, laid the windshield into place, bottom edge first, trying to actually fit as much over the bottom lip as possible, centering it in the frame as much as possible side to side....Sorry, I was too into it to stop and take pics, but those who have installed a windshield know what's happening. Time to start pulling wire...fingers crossed, Sirius satellite radio hard rock volume up so the neighbors can't hear the swearing. Since the bottom edge was mostly over the lip, that went easy, coming up on the first corner I figured wouldn't be too difficult since not a lot of pressure, rounded the bottom and top corners, no problem, run along the top, going well, coming to the dreaded opposite corner, push pull, pressure, pull, things are going........Here's how it ended up.....

I must have done something wrong, because it only took me about 4 minutes to get the inner and outer seals in place!!!! I kept checking the entire edge inside to make sure all was good, and it was. When I went around the right side lower corner, I gave it a little pressure while pulling the wire, and it actually made that little seal sound, you know when it fits in exactly like it should? Windshield fits tight, outer seal spread out well and looks like it will work.

The only real problem I had was not being able to swear out loud and relieve the frustration...well I did get some victory headbanging in while Rammstein played in the background..Ironic that A German heavy metal band starts playing just as I finish installing the windshield on a Volkswagen..some days are too hard to explain...End of that saga!

As I was saying in the other thread, had trouble with the hood release cable. It was hard to open and had to keep adjusting the cable to make the pull easier. At one point it didn't open and I figured the cable slipped. Luckily I had prepared for this and had taken out the horns, so I reached up through the hole and popped it open again. Loosened up the retaining screw to shove some more cable into the hole and try to get the latch right, when I went to über tighten the screw, it snapped the head off.....ugh will have to figure out how to remove that now.

But hey, I got the windshield in place in only a few minutes, so a win overall!
Jeff

Been there. Love the post.
recommendations please. Top 3 windshield fitting Rammstein tracks?
Also, 4 Years ago, after multiple attempts to fit these darn things I accidentally discovered the perfect Ghia windshield fitting lubricant but slight embarrassment has caused me to hold off on the recommendation…….
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Ha Ha Ha!! OK top 3 Rammstein window install, or just best tracks in general
1. Du Hast
2. Feuer frei
3. Amerika

But feel free to throw in, for any general work, some Waffle by Sevendust, Given Up by Linkin Park, any Disturbed, any Godsmack, and of course ALL Metallica!!

As for the lube for window install....yeah I think I know where you're going, wife or girlfriend, (or significant other) may not appreciate your using for the car, but it is water soluble, so that's a plus!!

Thanks for the comments!
Jeff

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Link

1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Not bad, thanks Michael! A little mix between punk and heavy metal..and I like the title "You Fail Me!" Seems to run through my head on just about every part I work on, you know that feeling. Grrrrrr
Jeff

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Not bad, thanks Michael! A little mix between punk and heavy metal..and I like the title "You Fail Me!" Seems to run through my head on just about every part I work on, you know that feeling. Grrrrrr
Jeff

Yes, it does seem apropos doesn’t it?

My son turned me on to Converge years ago. It seems they have been around since 1990. Seen them live a number of times— legit.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Love it! I spent a lot of time listening to Ramstien while working on my Ghia. Other bands on rotation were Kraftwerk (of course), Can, and Yello. Recently I add Steven Wilson to the list .. but he isn't German

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 26

Jump to: