Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SS100 "replica" Kit Kar
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braedonsz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Finally got around to grabbing a couple of pictures - eagle eyes on the suicide doors! You can see in the second photo the default hinge positions were simply ignored Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Your custom frame work looks fantastic - a much nicer solution than the "cover it up" approach;

If it's of any use, here is the configuration under the hood in this car- battery box mounted above the long pushrod. though, it sounds like you plan to shift the master cylinder back

Would be curious to see any documentation in the kit re: the fuel tank. The tank in this car has a leak, and it looks to be from a mounting strap rubbing. Curious to know what the intended design was here.

The instrument panel from the front - the rats nest sure is a lot less pretty on the back side Very Happy
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

No photographs, but I took the body off again today did some more measuring and trimming of the frame. I trimmed out the ragged floor pan area on the driver side and chiseled up the entire bottom of the napoleons hat.

There is an ungodly amount of rust inside the hat.

I can’t cut into the tunnel yet, as everything will go wobbly. I need to get the new rails tacked up first, and get them attached to some crossmembers. First I have to clean those bits completely from rust & dirt, and this was my plan today. Unfortunately I ended up fixing my pick up truck.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Finally got around to grabbing a couple of pictures - eagle eyes on the suicide doors! You can see in the second photo the default hinge positions were simply ignored Wink

Your custom frame work looks fantastic - a much nicer solution than the "cover it up" approach…

If it's of any use, here is the configuration under the hood in this car- battery box mounted above the long pushrod. though, it sounds like you plan to shift the master cylinder back…

Would be curious to see any documentation in the kit re: the fuel tank. The tank in this car has a leak, and it looks to be from a mounting strap rubbing. Curious to know what the intended design was here.

The instrument panel from the front - the rats nest sure is a lot less pretty on the backside…

I’m wondering if any steel reinforcement was added behind those door hinges on your car, because that part of the plastic panel was thin & slender.

I hope this modified frame design works out Without too many headaches, but I haven’t shown my ideas for the whole business quite yet.

Is that an antique radio that you have in the center of the dash?

Regarding the fuel tank, this is the extent of the manual’s instructions.

The manual states to remove and save the fuel tank fuel line fittings and fuel gauge sander and float but does not explain how you could ever reuse the stock tank
Braedonsz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Appreciate the details!

I believe there is some reinforcement behind the hinges, as they feel quite sturdy - but it could just be that these doors are so light, they don't take much to stay put...

No radio or speakers in here - just the VW headlight, emergency, and wiper knobs, and a switch for the auxiliary lights;

Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Thanks. I looked at the pics on my cell phone at 2:30 AM. I was barely awake.

Well your SS looks pretty sharp compared to mine. I like the doors, I like that the bonnet hinges are concealed, and it looks somewhat more waterproof.

It also appears that you have some concrete blocks as ballast and battery riser.
My car had no ballast, and the front suspension was/is topped out.

I do not want to cut springs, but I might replace one front spring with a thru rod, remove the torsion bar and put air shocks on all 4 corners, with on-board air. Otherwise, the breakover angle will not be favorable, after I lower the front enough to have actual suspension travel.

I am quite curious as to how the front compartment is sealed at the very front. Also about that fuel tank. More pix of that biz would all be appreciated.
Braedonsz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Let me know if there are specifics you are after

Here is a better shot of the gas tank - no clue what it's originally from.
The sending unit is mounted on the front face of the tank (flipped "sideways" compared to the stock position). Fuel line looks to be routed down through the front tunnel access hole of the original chassis (behind the "wheelbase extension appliance")

It fits nicely in the space and keeps the weight as far forward as possible - about 2-3 inches between the tank and the 'grill'.

As you've taken yours apart - what do you think are my chances of removing the grill to get access to the tank without removing the fenders (or entire front end)? I can't quite tell if there is a mounting point behind them...

Not a ton to see here, but a quick peek to the top left of the tank;

and top right;

As for additional water deterrents, there is a combination of weatherstripping, and fender beading used. This car essentially has beading between all fibreglass panels, and where fibreglass meets other materials (for example the 'grill') - looks like yours may have had the same treatment in some areas

The picture below is the rear of the compartment hatch, just in front of the rearview mirror. The beading extends from the between the panels, and along the edge for the hatch to rest on when closed. You can see some of the weatherstrip in the top of the photo for the top seal as well.

Far from water"proof", but seems to offer enough protection from a light shower

Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

The gas tank looks like it could be from a minicar, snowmobile or another piece of power sports equipment.

On my car there are 4 obvious 1/4” carriage bolts that hold the grill shell to the sides of the hood, plus a Phillips screw thru the ring for the radiator ornament.
Yours might be bolted up from below through the valance.

It must come forward about 3/4 of an inch or more but it also must come up to clear the hump (over the Volkswagen steering stabilizer) which is on your front valance. On my car the grill shell literally touches that hump when it’s assembled. It sits on the valance without pad nor welt.

But my shell was also trapped by welting.

The fenders sit on that Valence & it can’t go down or up. It might be tough to weasel off the shell without scratching the valance and fenders. My shell also has sharp corners on the bottom!
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

On my car there are gaps in the forward floor, which is ahead of the Napoleon’s hat. I hatched them in red here on my plan view.

If you have a water resistant forward compartment than these must have been filled in with something. I was just going to do fiberglass there until I realized I wanted to rebuild the frame.

I don’t know if you can make sense of my drawing there, but essentially they would be right below your gas tank on the left and right sides of the car.
Braedonsz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

ah yes - sheets with a 90 degree welded into place, with caulk along the interior of the glass. Resistant - not proof. as you can imagine, the car doesn't get wet if it can be helped. At just over 6'1", it's not exactly roomy with the roof up anyways Smile

There is also an insert for the compartment shown installed below. This makes the space a more usable luggage compartment - spare parts and tools sit underneath, and everything up-top is further removed from the elements. Rests on the hat, and the steel ballasts, snug fit between the glass.

Doing the brakes in a week or so, I'll grab a shot from underneath when I have it up on stands
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the photos. This gives me a better idea of where I’m going.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

This is the fiberglass battery tray that drops through that big ugly hole in my floor. In theory, the added structural section should improve the stiffness of the car. The problem is it’s very difficult to put enough screws in there to get a good connection, that will transfer the sheer forces between the metal and fiberglass structures.

This is the major problem with a fiberglass kit car. The transfer of forces from piece to piece must be accomplished in a way that holds the car together.

This has just enough screws to make sure the chassis flexing would cause fiberglass to crack all around the edges.

Instead of putting ballast in the car, I am going to add batteries. I have two group 29 RV batteries that will hold the front end of this VW down.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Today I chiseled, ground drilled and pried and the hat is history.
There is a bad rust hole thru the tunnel.
The tunnel is basically a rusted patch job all along the forward end.

I can’t cut the tunnel until the frame rails and crossmembers are in place. It’s going to be a very important part of the set up.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Stringing and leveling the chassis showed the frame to be 1/4” shorter on the driver side and is 1/4” high at the left front axle.

I have scribed a center line so I can bob off the rest of the pan.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I did pick up some more free tube steel today for the frame mods but I also am being delayed by the need to work on my truck.

I am much more comfortable working on the VW.

The way the body is designed it sits in the pan. This means that any water that gets under the fenders or runningboards will get into the body and carpet.

I have to remove the entire edge of the Volkswagen pan and let the body lap over the pan in order to prevent this effect. This will be no problemo.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Bobbing the rear pans with nibbler and sawzall.

I lucked out and there was no rust inside the rear pans.

Now I can start fitting the frame.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

You are cleaning that thing up nicely! Good job!
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I break out the 9 inch Milwaukee disc grinder with a big wire cup to knock off rust where I need to weld.

If you burnish the metal it will display the cracks easily. Each frame rail has a single crack in the same place. This one runs to an existing square hole.

On this one I had to drill a hole at the end of the crack. If you don’t do this you will just keep welding as the crack grows.

I did not clean these rails thoroughly because I am going to send them for sand blasting after I do the repairs.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Due to unforeseen circumstances, which I could have foreseen since 5 of my granddaughters have cars now, I still don’t have any welding done.

I did however pick up a load of used steel tubing and I spent some time cleaning it up to determine what was usable and what was garbage. It seems that I lucked out because I would’ve paid 500 for the stuff new.

So I set the fenderless body up on steel rails and bolted it loosely.

Here I am trying to square of the body up with a string, and it is all wobbly right now with just a single steel cross brace propped up inside. There are some parts missing from the original assembly that attach the body shell to the front and rear firewalls for support and they are Desperately necessary!

SS’s had wood sub framing built by a cabinet maker, But I will have steel sub framing. I’m going to weld the sub framing and then get the final alignment by adding fiberglass inside the body. But I have to get it pretty close so I don’t waste a lot of fiberglass, add too much weight, and take up all my interior space.

As you have probably guessed, that thing wrapped in cloth is the rear bumper and I didn’t want to scrape the chrome up, but it serves as the only rear frame crossmember.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I let the car down, turned it around, and put a towbar on it.
Now I can tow it to the DMV for inspection, as soon as I get lights on it, and a permit to tow.

I think my dad bought the towbar at Dick Cepek's 4 Wheel Drive Center, in Anaheim CA, in 1966. It's really set up for a Scout.

I monkeyed the parts around and clamped it on well enough to tow the 3/4 miles to DMV at 10 MPH. thru my neighborhood, thru the back lot of the Savemart, and right into the DMV lot. I could push it that far by hand with the body off.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I towed the SS to the DMV today for inspection, but they won’t issue a title until I show them a completed car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 24

Jump to: