Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to refill the air in your old spray cans
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: How to refill the air in your old spray cans Reply with quote

So you went through the winter and left your spray cans outside in the -20 temperatures and it is spring and the paint won't come out anymore
----------------------
or you got a spray can of something that has been sitting for decades and you want to use the can instead of throwing it out
--------------

here is a neat trick to just refill the air in the spray can here is how

Link

cheers hope it saves you some hastle be careful though wear safety glasses
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How to refill the air in your old spray cans Reply with quote

I wonder what a face full of shrapnel soaked in PB Blaster feels like?

Just kidding, most of these cans are built to handle 200 psi. I would imagine it would be difficult to exceed that with most shop compressors. The only problem I could see would be putting moisture from the compressed air in contact with the steel and corroding it, or contaminating the contents of the can. Or trying to pressurize a damaged can. Bottom line, play safe with compressed gasses, remember that's how they killed Jaws.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: How to refill the air in your old spray cans Reply with quote

FarmerBill wrote:
I wonder what a face full of shrapnel soaked in PB Blaster feels like?

Just kidding, most of these cans are built to handle 200 psi. I would imagine it would be difficult to exceed that with most shop compressors. The only problem I could see would be putting moisture from the compressed air in contact with the steel and corroding it, or contaminating the contents of the can. Or trying to pressurize a damaged can. Bottom line, play safe with compressed gasses, remember that's how they killed Jaws.

DUDE ! RIGHT, they killed Jaws with that! and w a hand gun?
I've done that.

I've cleared valves w air, but I'm not about to refill a paint can instead of $4.95. I'll keep my face instead. My compressor hits 190max, even if I can drop to any level I won't be doing this. As a can gets lower in pressure the "fan" pattern decreases as does the delivery. You can only do so much w store bought paint cans. Squeeze lube works much better in this case anyway & you don't spray the surface around your target attracting dirt."just because you CAN..........." The moisture comment is also very valid-how many guys break the bottom valve open-or know it's even there?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: How to refill the air in your old spray cans Reply with quote

Is this just a trick to try to get at our buses and widows?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: How to refill the air in your old spray cans Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: How to refill the air in your old spray cans Reply with quote

Note to self: Another word for valve stem is "spray inducer thing," or, more simply, "this piece." Smile
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How to refill the air in your old spray cans Reply with quote

I'm confused as the video says to make sure the can is completely empty but then it sprays PB Blaster.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How to refill the air in your old spray cans Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
I'm confused as the video says to make sure the can is completely empty but then it sprays PB Blaster.

Don't worry Barry, we are all confused-the entire country is confused. This can't hurt anyone as long as you don't try it or submit/admit to the confusion.
Here is the correct identification of the parts list, no thingys or inducers. If I have to wear safety glasses and risk a hand or reconstructive surgery on my Brad Pitt like face, I will drive 5 minutes to Home Depot and drop $5 worth of insurance.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

you learn something everyday.
52 split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How to refill the air in your old spray cans Reply with quote

what he meant was, no propellent in the can, but that it still had a liquid, be it pb blaster or paint.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: How to refill the air in your old spray cans Reply with quote

The whole premise is shaky. In 45 years of using a myriad of spray-can products, I don't think I've ever had the propellant run out before the product. I've had clogged tips, and frozen valves, but I highly doubt the gas propellant leaked out. But I've run out of paint or other product but still had gas spraying out of the nozzle.

I submit that what Erb unknowingly did was used air going in the opposite direction to dislodge hardened product or unstick a stuck valve to render the canister usable again. The size and nature of spray cans/products are such that compressed air is the least practical and last gas you would ever use for such purposes. The propellants used are carefully chosen and formulated to work in conjunction with (and usually mixed with) the chosen product to be dispensed and, air is never one of them.

Just my $0.10 Wink
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: How to refill the air in your old spray cans Reply with quote

I'm sure I had a refillable aerosol can with a tyre valve near the top...was a load of rubbish so it got chucked.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: How to refill the air in your old spray cans Reply with quote

I wish the nozzles/actuators were available at local stores. Or someone would post how to clean them.
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: How to refill the air in your old spray cans Reply with quote

Cleaning nozzles: I've used just acetone then air. I have shot starter fluid too.

Busstom is correct. It's not compressed air, it is aerosols of different types for different types of paint. I know a company that fills many of these various cans. Tough business (in California at least) they are always under scrutiny by the air board w constant risk of being shut down.
If air is used, a layer of paint would dry-out, you shake it and it would clog, so the paint (up to an expiration date) stays liquid and active. PB blaster cans often run out of steam and seem to be under low pressure. I just give a smack and dent the can. My Go-To is unpressurized Liquid Wrench-less mess/waste and good stuff. PB stinks, not in performance, it stinks
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: How to refill the air in your old spray cans Reply with quote

To quickly clean out a spray paint nozzle, just flip the can upside down and spray for a couple of seconds until the tube and nozzle are clear of paint. You have to do this immediately after use though, it won't help with an already clogged nozzle.

The only cans I have that run out of propellant before product are the Off insect repellent cans I get these days. I just poke a hole in them and drain the rest into a pump spray bottle.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: How to refill the air in your old spray cans Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
I wish the nozzles/actuators were available at local stores. Or someone would post how to clean them.

I save nozzles on spent cans, clean them out and store them in a Baby Food jar filled with whatever solvent is appropriate. When one becomes clogged for I just swap it out.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: How to refill the air in your old spray cans Reply with quote

Geniuses your all geniuses.. Laughing .
Though I like the last suggestion.. Idea

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: How to refill the air in your old spray cans Reply with quote

It is not lost on me that this mode of transportation we flock to is so loved and adored by both the richest and poorest, and also the cheapest (which has nothing to do with being rich or poor)
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How to refill the air in your old spray cans Reply with quote

The video mainly is useful for after winter or cans that sat a long time example liquidation cans. I mean if you leave a spray can outside in the below freezing temperatures that 7 -8 months of the year here even though its warm in the day time the can inside freezes and then occasionally it won't work anymore. This is easy way to recharge it. You should only go to 40 psi max though. be warned could be dangerous.
I was thinking of maybe making a video on how to refill the old cans with new liquid do you want to see that..
Do you need a video on how to clean or where to get the nozzles?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: