Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nanometer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: ........... Reply with quote

Last edited by nanometer on Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How to find honest parts vendors Reply with quote

Did you use Paypal? Did the description clearly state if the kit was for one or a pair? Did you ask?

Leave negative feedback, complain to Paypal.

The old says is still true: caveat emptor

You can't have a list since people change their userids all the time.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How to find honest parts vendors Reply with quote

Caliper rebuild kits are sold like that. You need to buy two. Doesn’t matter if it’s eBay or not
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How to find honest parts vendors Reply with quote

sounds like a reading comprehension problem to me.

easily solved by asking the seller a question.

conversation avoids conflict most of the time

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How to find honest parts vendors Reply with quote

Logic would dictate that they would be sold in pairs like pads or shoes. They arent
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nanometer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How to find honest parts vendors Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Did you use Paypal? Did the description clearly state if the kit was for one or a pair? Did you ask?

Leave negative feedback, complain to Paypal.

The old says is still true: caveat emptor

You can't have a list since people change their userids all the time.

I didn't buy anything yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nanometer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How to find honest parts vendors Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
sounds like a reading comprehension problem to me.

easily solved by asking the seller a question.

conversation avoids conflict most of the time

It wastes too much time. They should just say: Buy 2 for both sides
nanometer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How to find honest parts vendors Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Caliper rebuild kits are sold like that. You need to buy two. Doesn’t matter if it’s eBay or not

You've got the best answers. Thumbs up and thanks
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: How to find honest parts vendors Reply with quote

nanometer wrote:
Sad I'm have a trouble with some of the parts vendors on ebay.

eBay is about the last place I would buy brake parts. You would be better off sending your current calipers and booster to a rebuilder to have the rebuilt. There might even be a local to you rebuilder that would take on the job.

FYI: some Type II calipers do indeed have 2 bleeder screws per caliper. So a kit with 2 boots, 2 piston seals, 2 body seals and 2 bleeder screws is 1 calipers worth of parts.

Do you have Girling or ATE calipers is another thing to know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: How to find honest parts vendors Reply with quote

I buy a ton of stuff from eBay for old motorcycles I work on - read and re-read the listings so you know what you're buying, how many, and where it's being shipped from. You have to be really careful and keep in mind that the pictures used may not accurately represent what's being sold.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: How to find honest parts vendors Reply with quote

To the OP, with an old car like our buses, a good part of working on them is understanding the parts, and differences between years. That is one of the reasons no shops want to work on them - how do you bill a client because it took you a week of research just to figure out what was needed, and then find a good one? These cars are HALF A CENTURY OLD.

The burden to know what you need, and whether a certain part will work is on you, not the ebay seller. We are here to help if you have trouble figuring out what you need, but you will also have to do some of the research and study first. No one here can just put their forehead to the monitor and know what you need.
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How to find honest parts vendors Reply with quote

nanometer wrote:

Did anyone on Samba ever put together a good size list of sellers (up to date) who spend a tad more time explaining Exactly what you'll be getting ? If not, why not ?

I just put in an FCPEuro order for some bmw stuff today and also threw in some aircooled TRW brake cylinder rebuild and Dansk hardware kits. See if you can find a part number for what you need and see if it is the same as an audi, scirocco, etc. caliper rebuild kits. They have good service and pricing.

List:
Your local import shop (if you have one)
Aircooled.net
Samba ads
Samba advertisers
Wolfsburg West
West Coast Metric
FCPEuro (some good quality aircooled parts but mostly watercooled, audi, bmw)
ECS Tuning (watercooled, audi, bmw, mercedes possibly some crossover with late model T2's)
Autozone (I use mostly for degreasers, etc. but some people here get brakes, MC's, batteries, cv joints, etc. and their warranties are good)
NAPA for stuff like bulk gasket material, grease, etc.
Ebay (last resort, feeling lucky)
nanometer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How to find honest parts vendors Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
nanometer wrote:

eBay is about the last place I would buy brake parts. You would be better off sending your current calipers and booster to a rebuilder to have the rebuilt. There might even be a local to you rebuilder that would take on the job.

FYI: some Type II calipers do indeed have 2 bleeder screws per caliper. So a kit with 2 boots, 2 piston seals, 2 body seals and 2 bleeder screws is 1 calipers worth of parts.

Can you tell if the calipers have a single screw from the VIN number ?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: How to find honest parts vendors Reply with quote

nanometer wrote:
ToolBox wrote:
nanometer wrote:

Can you tell if the calipers have a single screw from the VIN number ?

No.
nanometer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How to find honest parts vendors Reply with quote

The underlying subject of my original post had to do with purchasing brake parts. In the meantime I found a local mechanic I never knew existed until I contacted a member of the local VW club. The mechanic is going to retire next year and is very nice to talk to on the phone. He's going to do an inspection and I feel I can trust him.
In the meantime I thought I should order a rubber boot for the servo because mine is starting to crack. I couldn't find one online. Can you fellows suggest a seller ? Thanks Smile
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How to find honest parts vendors Reply with quote

not sure anyone has found those parts. The rebuild shops have them sometimes but typically they don't sell D-I-Y stuff. Maybe someone found a source but there have been threads over the years for people looking for that part. It may be a try different ones until it fits. You might find out who did this rebuild and call them:

Nicholas D wrote:
Can someone tell me if there should be some type of clip to hold this part of the rubber boot to the body of the booster? Just got it back from the rebuilder and it looks nice, just want to make sure nothing is missing. It seems consistent with my Bentley the way it is. Thanks!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: