Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cheap insurance?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Cheap insurance? Reply with quote

Hey,
Our 71 has been parked for two years, pandemic and stuff. Geico just told us that our policy will go from $40ish a month to $120. F*** this. The van hasn't move a foot, and you're tripling the cost?
Any suggestions for cheap insurance? We're NC based.
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap insurance? Reply with quote

I use American Collectors. I think it runs around $300/year. I’m allowed something like 5,000-7,000 miles a year, but I don’t even come close to that much. It is an agreed value policy as well, so if I take a total loss I know what I’ll be getting for it. If you don’t drive it much you should definitely look into this or some other type of collector insurance.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap insurance? Reply with quote

you will get what you pay for with insurance. Best to determine how you will use it and buy a policy that meets those needs. My policy on the 1977 is $528 a year and is thru Geico Portfolio. It recently renewed. It was with American Collectors under a USAA umbrella but American Collectors switched from American Bankers as an underwriter to some other underwriter and they would no longer cover it on any type of overnight use unless it became an enclosed trailer queen. I have agreed value because depreciation on a 45 year old car doesn't leave much value if there is a loss. The Geico Portfolio policy is underwritten by American Bankers. Stipulations include it must be garaged, and less than 5,000 miles a year.

oscarsnapkin wrote:
I use American Collectors. I think it runs around $300/year. I’m allowed something like 5,000-7,000 miles a year, but I don’t even come close to that much. It is an agreed value policy as well, so if I take a total loss I know what I’ll be getting for it. If you don’t drive it much you should definitely look into this or some other type of collector insurance.

Be aware that as of May this year, American Collectors told me that they would no longer insure it on camping trips in any location, even national parks. They also said if it was left by a trail head for example on a day trip they would consider it daily use and it would not be insured. They changed underwriters from American Bankers in FL to someone else. I called American Bankers and they referred me to Assurant which is Geico Portfolio policies. American Collectors had no ability to write a policy with American Bankers any more due to their corporate agreements elsewhere is what they told me.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap insurance? Reply with quote

Seems to me that ALL you guys have "cheap" insurance. I only have the WA state minimum liability
coverage on mt '71 bus (only vehicle), and USAA charges me over $1000. per year for that. I have no tickets or accidents in the
last 20 yrs. I'm beginning to feel like I'm being reamed, or sumthin'.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap insurance? Reply with quote

I have American home and pay about $240/yr.

But if yours is a camper you'll pay more

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap insurance? Reply with quote

had grundy forever

went to add a 84 westy to the policy (70 deluxe 71 westy and 71 single) they wanted almost 1k on the vanagon with an agreed value of 19k. was paying 1100 or so for the other 3

um, no

called my agent and had her figure it out.

hagarty took them all, put the vanagon at like 40k agreed, made sure i can camp. 1200 for the year for all 4 and they are all agreed value policies

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap insurance? Reply with quote

Hagerty Full coverage, unlimited flat bed towing, no millage restrictions, and they will give you full value for a collector blue book with just pictures, and you can get their "fixing it policy" so if something happens while its parked or you are working on it you are covered. IT can't be your only car. They charge me $250/yr on my 70 ghia and it's just a driver and they valued it at $13000.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap insurance? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Hagerty Full coverage, unlimited flat bed towing, no millage restrictions, and they will give you full value for a collector blue book with just pictures, and you can get their "fixing it policy" so if something happens while its parked or you are working on it you are covered. IT can't be your only car. They charge me $250/yr on my 70 ghia and it's just a driver and they valued it at $13000.
just make sure they will let you camp in it if you use it for that. They told me no. In fact the sales person approved it, I paid for it, then the VP called me back and said that they would not allowing camping otherwise it was a done deal. I said it has to allow national park camping in numbered sites and they said no. Can't sleep in it or car camp in a tent out of it.

From Hagerty's site

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap insurance? Reply with quote

thankfully, i have it in writing i can use it as a camper.

lots of vanagon guys do as well.

hagarty has asll the photos of the van, no hiding it's a camper....with propane even.

the way it was explained to me was they didn't want you to van life the fucking thing. can't blame them there....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap insurance? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

lots of vanagon guys do as well.

hagarty has asll the photos of the van, no hiding it's a camper....with propane even.

the way it was explained to me was they didn't want you to van life the fucking thing. can't blame them there....

pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap insurance? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info !
I'll look into it in the morning. Yes our 71 is a camper, but at the moment it's just sitting and we won't visit it before xmas... so no camping in the near future!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap insurance? Reply with quote

Ahh…….auto insurance. So many people think an automobile is worth more then a human body part. Be smart with your insurance dollars on vintage cars for sure. Be even smarter with the cost of PIP and bodily injury within your policy. Those claims get hairy really quickly and can cost you way more then a stupid car. Could even cost you a house. You dig?

Many people skimp on PIP (Personal Injury Protection) and Bodily Liability coverage. Choose wisely Shame on you

To the OP. If your car is going to sit dormant for awhile. Call your insurance company to discuss.

SGKent. Didn’t you sell auto insurance at one time in your life?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap insurance? Reply with quote

Quote:

They should get a Public service medal for purging society of these lice
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap insurance? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
… Be even smarter with the cost of PIP and bodily injury within your policy. Those claims get hairy really quickly and can cost you way more then a stupid car. Could even cost you a house. You dig?

Many people skimp on PIP (Personal Injury Protection) and Bodily Liability coverage. Choose wisely Shame on you

To the OP. If your car is going to sit dormant for awhile. Call your insurance company to discuss.

Yes, I believe that Geico “cheap” policies in NC cover the minimum allowable bodily injury of $10,000. That makes that policy barely worth the paper that it’s written on. If a person that you injure spends just one day in the hospital, you will be on the hook for everything else.

Also, a sudden spike in rates could be indicative of a precipitous drop in your credit rating, if you’re not the cause of it, someone might have stolen your identity.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap insurance? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
SGKent. Didn’t you sell auto insurance at one time in your life?
yes, I had a CA license for homeowners, E&O, auto etc., for about 30 years of and on. Didn't need it for IT work so I let it lapse a few years back. I was also on a special approved reciprocity list in some other states when I was doing branch training of managers around the USA in the 90's.

TDCTDI wrote:
Also, a sudden spike in rates could be indicative of a precipitous drop in your credit rating, if you’re not the cause of it, someone might have stolen your identity.
I have also read that some companies use the credit score now in underwriting a policy. Good advice.
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap insurance? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Their justification is that me being french, I don't have a US driving license. But I'm not on the van policy, it's in my wife's name - she has the NC driving license. They decided that until I get a US driving license, they'll have to increase the policy. She asked them "Why, he's not on the policy at all" and they said "As long as he's your spouse, that's the way it is".

We do live in France, and here all our cars are in my name and no problem with my wife. And BTW I pay 41€ a year (yes, no typo, forty one) for my Karmann Ghia, and 75€ for the Vanagon because it's valued at 12K... And we can camp in it!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap insurance? Reply with quote

That’s because in the Us we sue each other , and in France you sit down over croissant and figure it out.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap insurance? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That’s because in the Us we sue each other...
Actually that method of working out differences in the USA is pretty obsolete now. Today is it more of a grudge rugby match. We either force what our tribe wants on the other tribes until they yell uncle, or walk into a crowd and shoot. For many today, who are quite vocal on this issue, the idea of letting the courts settle it is no longer an acceptable solution, especially if the judge(s) are from the other guy's tribe or are neutral.

To the OP - most collector policies, especially those that are agreed value require an acknowledgement of all parties in the household, even if they are not named on the policy. My housemate of many years is not named on the policy as an insured but the collector policy required her information, and that we have a separate car for her. It would be different

SK
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap insurance? Reply with quote

I hope this "writing" is in the policy and not in an email. Hagerty hasn't insured camping activity for some time now.
(sold - but not forgotten)
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap insurance? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Abscate wrote:
That’s because in the Us we sue each other...
Actually that method of working out differences in the USA is pretty obsolete now.

Unfortunately here too. People have now a tendency to throw croissants at each other. And there is a raging debate on whether a chocolate croissant should be called pain au chocolat or chocolatine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: