Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with this electric
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlinares
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Help with this electric Reply with quote

This is the electric part of a 1950 bug I'm working on, and I need some help. To the right there are 2 black boxes that I have no idea what they are, to the left I think there is an aftermarket flasher for the semaphores, on the dash there is a cigarette lighter that doesn't work (is it original?), in general I need some help with everything, all electric is kind of a mess. Maybe you have electric maps for this car? Thank you. Also, this car had cover and carpet here in the trunk? Where can I buy it? Thank you.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Help with this electric Reply with quote

this is where you'll find a wiring diagram
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt1.php
this is where you'll find an owner's manual
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type1.php

the black boxes look like fuse boxes but there should only be one that size. looks like somebody has used a second dash pod instead of a blank or clock one, hence the duplicate warning lights, knobs etc. the cigarette lighter could be a period accessory but has been fitted to replace the duplicate ignition. so none of that second pod set-up is original. this is what a normal clock pod looks like - with the clock adjuster knob in the rhd glove box

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
jlinares
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Help with this electric Reply with quote

finster wrote:
this is what a normal clock pod looks like - with the clock adjuster knob in the rhd glove box

Very interesting, thank you, so the 2 knobs on the right pod should really be on the left pod and none in the right pod. At the moment there are 3 knobs that work, ignition, lights and wipers. Then left with 2, there is ignition and the other would be what, lights or wipers? And from these 2, the one that should not go in the dash, from where is it controlled?

The button by the knee is the horn, but I have seen that is the original spot for the lighter.

Finally, the white shape you say is a light just as the one between the split window, there shouldn't be one ther?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Help with this electric Reply with quote

it is hard to follow what you're saying about pods and knobs Confused - so to be clear, there should only be the left hand pod with speedo/warning lights/ignition/knobs. so there should only be two knobs either side of the ignition key, the left one controls the wipers and interior light - the right one controls the lights. study the manual/wiring diagram in the link I posted earlier.

the knobs on your right hand pod are the correct type, the ones fitted to the left hand pod are incorrect

I am not an expert on splits but I see from the 1950 wiring diagram it has a 'dome lamp in driver's compartment' as well as 'dome lamp in loading room' (above the rear split window) so this could be what that is.

jlinares
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Help with this electric Reply with quote

finster wrote:
it is hard to follow what you're saying about pods and knobs Confused - so to be clear, there should only be the left hand pod with speedo/warning lights/ignition/knobs.

Thank you, now I understand. It is difficult to follow because the owner did a thing to the electric part you aren't imagining. The ignition key at the moment is just for security, you move it and nothing happens. You need to move the key and then the left knob and there you have electricity, and if you turn the left knob without moving the key switch, nothing happens. Don't understand why he moved that circuit. Maybe now you understand although it is confusing.

This weekend I'm putting all electric circuits where it should be. Thanks.
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with this electric Reply with quote

Interesting and imaginative " re-creation " of an electrical system ! Also of note, the correct purpose of the right hand knob is a combination windshield wiper / interior light switch, right rotation is windshield wiper, left rotation, interior light ( I think ! ).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlinares
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with this electric Reply with quote

Might there be a way to fill the right pod's holes and leave it smooth as it should be, like this?

finster wrote:
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Help with this electric Reply with quote

that would be a bodge Speak to the hand it would be far better to obtain a clock pod to replace it - the cost can be covered by selling the surplus pod. also you might need to use the switches on the surplus one if they are in better condition...
see the classifieds:-
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...s=dash+pod

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: