Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Window Regulator 67
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Window Regulator 67 Reply with quote

Just FYI, if you need a window regulator for your 1965 to mid 1968, don't buy one from CIP1. It is pure garbage.

It did not survive the first window rollup. I had made sure that glass was not stuck and was moving freely. I had lubricated the channels using silicone lube. I had also lubed the gear mechanism and lifter spring/coil in the regulator.

First time going up, it started slipping. Lubed it more. No difference. The gap between the gear and lifter spring/coil inside the mechanism is too much. The gear moves away from the lifter spring/coil under load and slips.

Either the gear is smaller than what it should be or there is too much free play between lifter spring/coil and the gear.

From the packaging the regulator appears to be Brazilian made. Zinni and Guell LTDA.

I am going to try the Taiwanese regulator from WestCoastMetric next.
cb1990s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator 67 Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:
Just FYI, if you need a window regulator for your 1965 to mid 1968, don't buy one from CIP1. It is pure garbage.

It did not survive the first window rollup. I had made sure that glass was not stuck and was moving freely. I had lubricated the channels using silicone lube. I had also lubed the gear mechanism and lifter spring/coil in the regulator.

First time going up, it started slipping. Lubed it more. No difference. The gap between the gear and lifter spring/coil inside the mechanism is too much. The gear moves away from the lifter spring/coil under load and slips.

Either the gear is smaller than what it should be or there is too much free play between lifter spring/coil and the gear.

From the packaging the regulator appears to be Brazilian made. Zinni and Guell LTDA.

Original is best! I have had issues with repro ones too. I have one for sale here in the UK, it’s for the passenger side in a right hand drive car. So if you have a left hand drive car then it’s drivers side. Message me if you’re interested.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator 67 Reply with quote

I agree , original would be good. Originals are however 50+ years old at this point and it would be hit or miss as to how much longer one of those would last.
I just want to try out a new one and hope it would last a bit longer.

Thanks.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator 67 Reply with quote

Got the Taiwanese regulator from West Coast Metric. Same price as the Brazilian one I got from CIP1 which stripped out immediately.

There was a big difference between the two. WCM one felt heftier, the plate on the crank part was wider, the metal channel was made from thicker gauge steel.

I needed to bend the top part a little so that it would fit inside the door sill. After that, it went right in and it works beautifully.

Anyone looking for a window regulator, don't buy the Brazilian one from CIP1, get the Taiwanese one from West Coast Metric.
gmd1417
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator 67 Reply with quote

AirHead 1966 - Did the regulator come with everything you needed to replace your old one? Were you able to just pop your window into the West Coast Metric regulator, or did you have to buy anything else? Thanks
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator 67 Reply with quote

I did not need to buy anything else. The glass sits on a metal sleeve. You can use the existing sleeve. It screws on to the new regulator.

Just use some silicone lube to lubricate the coils of the new regulator, as well as the felt channels on which the glass rides.

I had to bend the top of the regulator a bit to make it fit in the door. You will know if you need to do it when you start fitting it.

Good luck.
thetravman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator 67 Reply with quote

Just bought that Brazilian beast myself. Wish I'd have read this. It worked fine out of the car. But its clicking away inside the car. I will try to lube the felt channels but boy after that install fight, lining up all those five bolt holes I'm pretty disappointed. Even if it works it probably wont work long. Buy cheap and buy twice. And I lubed it too with plenty of Kendall Super blu wheel bearing grease.
thetravman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator 67 Reply with quote

So airhead66. Did you get the one from west coast metric? How did it work out? Wolfsburg west site says they make one too.?.?
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator 67 Reply with quote

thetravman wrote:
So airhead66. Did you get the one from west coast metric? How did it work out? Wolfsburg west site says they make one too.?.?

I did get the one from West Coast Metric. It worked out well. I Like it.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator 67 Reply with quote

I have also heard this about re-pop regulators lately. Another option is to find a original Pass. side regulator and change the mounting points to make it a Drivers side unit. I havent done it myself but I saw a video and it looked pretty easy.
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator 67 Reply with quote

Original! It was well worth 4 dollars for two window regulators from the swap. I cleaned them up and lubed them and just swapped them out in about 2 hrs. still OG! yes it was for a 72 but still, you can find the deals if you look
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator 67 Reply with quote

pwmcguire wrote:
Original! It was well worth 4 dollars for two window regulators from the swap. I cleaned them up and lubed them and just swapped them out in about 2 hrs. still OG! yes it was for a 72 but still, you can find the deals if you look

Apples and oranges Wink

66 to 68.5 uses a larger more complicated regulator. Much more difficult to R&I and for years not reproduced...
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111837501F

68.5 up uses a simplified regulator, easier to R&I and readily available new for a long time...
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111837501J

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
thetravman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator 67 Reply with quote

Ha ha ha! I'm BAAAA AAAACK. The regulator failed a week or two ago. The one click per revolution turned into two clicks per rev. Then, the whole shaft spun around without moving the window anywhere. Got out a harbor fright recip saw with a diabblo metal cutting blade and sawed thru one of the cable holders.
The window was up and wouldn't push down so I had to cut one side to get a chance to push down the window. With a little help from a big screwdriver jammed into the hole I turned it halfway down while simultaneously pushing down on the window. The cable got caught on things. Wiggle pull push the window went down. Uninstalled regulator and window as a unit.
The new regulator was also Brazilian thru empee. This time they put solder under the bottom of the tube so you couldn't bend the tube open, wind it out and lube it. So I spent 15 min, loading inch by inch, some Kendle blue wheel bearing grease. Wound a little. Greased the spot that was in the gear housing and took about an hour to install.

No click anymore. You must use silicone spray on the felt channels because the gears on these are weak.

Now. The window can be adjusted for and aft on the rear sash mount. All the way to the right you bind at the last 3 inches toward the top. All the way to the left and you can't get te window down all the way. Find the center. Then you just slightly bind at the top and the bottom. And that's the best we can do.
So that's 125 dollars I spent on these two regulators. I hope the new regulator lasts twice as long as the 9 month first one.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator 67 Reply with quote

Good luck with the second Brazilian unit. Unfortunately if it is like the Brazilian one I had bought, I don’t hold much hope for it.

On the other hand the Taiwanese one that I got from west coast metric is still going strong. West coast metic one is visibly substantially beefier.

My recommendation based on my experience is not to use Brazilian regulator for the 1967 beetle.

Last edited by AirHead1966 on Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
thetravman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator 67 Reply with quote

Yes. I will try west coast metric if and when this one fails. And I'll post the findings. September 23, 2021. Installed the frail Brazilian regulator.
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator 67 Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:

Find an OG and clean it up.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator 67 Reply with quote

pwmcguire wrote:

To each their own. Replacing a 54 year old regulator that failed after 54 year of use, with another one of the same age and likely similar use, is not something I would ever do.
thetravman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator 67 Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:
pwmcguire wrote:

To each their own. Replacing a 54 year old regulator that failed after 54 year of use, with another one of the same age and likely similar use, is not something I would ever do.

I guess you just haven't been through it lately like some of us have. I pray for the day I find a working German unit. If they work then lube them and they'll outlast these Brazilian clickers that are going around. Or just prop the window up and forget about ever being able to get it up or down or . .

Yeah my second one, this time through empi, is just about toast. I'm beginning to think that the metals so cheap it dissolves in grease.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator 67 Reply with quote

I’ve been through this with a ‘68 bus before. The aftermarket regulators just plain suck! I wouldn’t put one of those in my car if you gave it to me.

The regulator on my ‘65 deluxe crapped out a few weeks ago. There are/were a few German ones for sale in the classifieds. But, I was able to find a nice one locally. Can’t wait to clean it up and put it in.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator 67 Reply with quote

The reprops are shit. They’re soft metal and the gears fail. Find original regulators made from real steel.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: