Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering box rebuild kit
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Steering box rebuild kit Reply with quote

I'm not here to pimp some one elses parts, but I thought this hard to find kit might go un-noticed by the Ghia community since it's in the Type 3 classifieds. Tim has started making rebuild kits for Type 1 & 3 VW steering boxes. I just got a kit and the quality looks great. I don't think these kits are available any where else and I don't know how long they will last.

Tim has also started a fantastic post on rebuilding the steeing box in the Type 3 forum (though it is posted in the Ghia stickies above, thanks John).

Here it is again if any one is interested:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660446
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box rebuild kit Reply with quote

In my best Lawrence Welk voice, Thank you, Thank you. I have been searching for both the rebuild information and all the parts needed to rebuild my steering box. This is a godsend.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box rebuild kit Reply with quote

I just ordered a set. My Ghia has a TRW which I purchased when I was ignorant about the quality. The Ghia still has stiff steering so now I will go down the route of refurbishing the original VW and have more control with the outcome.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
csc23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box rebuild kit Reply with quote

Sent my box to Tim to have the rebuild kit installed. Quick turnaround, photo documented the whole way, and at a very reasonable price, roughly a little more than a new junky TRW! What else can I say?! Thanks Tim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box rebuild kit Reply with quote

I've noticed some thick reddish goo coming out of my steering box, could the gasket be bad and not sealing correctly? I've looked through this post and the various links, but can't seem to find where to purchase the gasket(s) any help?

I have a tube of that cornhead grease or whatever it's called and was going to eventually replace whatever 50 year old lube is currently there, but now that I've noticed a few drops on my garage floor, I'm wondering if I need to replace a lower or upper gasket and then refill. Will I try to have to make my own gasket? If so, what type of material should I use?

I've also noticed quite a bit of play between my steering wheel and the tires actually moving, do I need to try adjusting/tightening by some adjustment screw? Can't seem to find a link to show how to adjust properly and how much.
Thanks,
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box rebuild kit Reply with quote

Loren wrote:
I'm not here to pimp some one elses parts, but I thought this hard to find kit might go un-noticed by the Ghia community since it's in the Type 3 classifieds. Tim has started making rebuild kits for Type 1 & 3 VW steering boxes. I just got a kit and the quality looks great. I don't think these kits are available any where else and I don't know how long they will last.

Tim has also started a fantastic post on rebuilding the steeing box in the Type 3 forum (though it is posted in the Ghia stickies above, thanks John).

Here it is again if any one is interested:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660446

Who's Tim and how do I order a kit?

Smile
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box rebuild kit Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
Who's Tim and how do I order a kit? Smile

Tim is a guy frequenting the type three forum. User name is OKType3Tim. Just PM him for a start and ask if he has said kits in stock.

Nicholas
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box rebuild kit Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Mrfun2fly wrote:
Who's Tim and how do I order a kit? Smile

Tim is a guy frequenting the type three forum. User name is OKType3Tim. Just PM him for a start and ask if he has said kits in stock.

Nicholas

Thanks buddy, I just did!
OKType3Tim Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box rebuild kit Reply with quote

Since the kits are used up---The question has been posed several times of "what to do?", "where can I get ________?"
The following is a fairly complete list, provided that the bushings in your unit are still good:

Bearings:
https://www.vwnos.com/508620b
Plugs:
https://www.vwnos.com/311-415-133
Gasket:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=311415135A
Upper seal:
https://www.avxseals.com/Shaft-Oil-Seals-TC16x24x7-p/tc16x24x7.htm
Lower Seal:
https://www.avxseals.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TC24x37x7
Worm Shaft: NLA But the issue is being worked on.
Roller Shaft: NLA But the issue is being worked on.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box rebuild kit Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
I've noticed some thick reddish goo coming out of my steering box, could the gasket be bad and not sealing correctly? I've looked through this post and the various links, but can't seem to find where to purchase the gasket(s) any help?

I have a tube of that cornhead grease or whatever it's called and was going to eventually replace whatever 50 year old lube is currently there, but now that I've noticed a few drops on my garage floor, I'm wondering if I need to replace a lower or upper gasket and then refill. Will I try to have to make my own gasket? If so, what type of material should I use?

I've also noticed quite a bit of play between my steering wheel and the tires actually moving, do I need to try adjusting/tightening by some adjustment screw? Can't seem to find a link to show how to adjust properly and how much.
Thanks,
Jeff

So now you know what parts you need. Except for the worm gear.
In my experience, the only way to adjust a steering box is in your hands.
They are surprisingly simple little contraptions.
There are actually two adjustment points. The little grub screw on top and the giant grub screw on the front.
With it your hand you can easily feel any slack or resistance.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box rebuild kit Reply with quote

Thanks Jeffrey, I asked that question some time ago, but when I saw this topic come up again with links where to buy the gasket, it reminded me that I need to fix that and now I can get gaskets. The steering is not bad, it just seems like too much play. Will check those adjuster screws and see if it tightens things up.

Also, I PM'd you a while ago on another question, check your inbox and see if my Q is still there, PM me back if not.
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box rebuild kit Reply with quote

The only caution I have is regarding the pre-load on the big adjuster nut. That nut loads the ball bearings on the worm shaft. The pre-load is only 5 inch-pounds. THAT's right INCH-pounds. not foot-pounds. Very easy to get this out-of-whack.
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box rebuild kit Reply with quote

OKType3Tim wrote:
The only caution I have is regarding the pre-load on the big adjuster nut. That nut loads the ball bearings on the worm shaft. The pre-load is only 5 inch-pounds. THAT's right INCH-pounds. not foot-pounds. Very easy to get this out-of-whack.
Tim, you seem to have expert knowledge about our boxes. Would the small play adjuster on top be the way to take out any excessive steering wheel play in our cars? (Assuming the guibo and tie rod linkage is acceptable) And if I remember correctly it is 1" play from side to side in the wheel itself?
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box rebuild kit Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on that, I'll just check it without making any immediate adjustments!
Jeff

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box rebuild kit Reply with quote

Quote:
Tim, you seem to have expert knowledge about our boxes. Would the small play adjuster on top be the way to take out any excessive steering wheel play in our cars? (Assuming the guibo and tie rod linkage is acceptable) And if I remember correctly it is 1" play from side to side in the wheel itself?

A basic overview:
A) The ball bearings do wear, so the first adjustment is the big adjuster nut, but you are only trying to get a small preload on the bearings. (As I mentioned in the post above.)
B) Then the adjuster screw on the top is set such that there is no play in the steering box operation when turning the input shaft (steering wheel shaft) 90 degrees left to 90 degrees right. That means no play can be felt between turning the input shaft and feeling the output/drop arm shaft. If it is to tight when turning through the middle (straight ahead) spot, then back of just a bit. The adjustment can go from being wrong, to being correct in as little of 5 degrees of turn of the top screw. I.E. "sneak up on the setting" If you get to tight, back off and come at it again.

A good source to read before you begin is here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/practicalwork_steering.php

Keep in mind that the play you feel at the steering wheel is the cumulative play from all of the steering components.

* There is always some play in the four tie rod ends.
* Some in the steering worm shaft bearings [which will let the worm shaft move up and down ever so slightly-thus you need a bit of preload).
* Some in the interference fit between the roller surface and the worm surface (this is what the top screw affects).
* Some in the side play of the roller where it is installed in the roller shaft. (If it is worn out, then it is worn out-.002 inch play between the side of the roller, and the side of the housing. A typical human hair is thicker than this.
* Some play in the interface of the top adjusting screw with the cavity in the top of the roller shaft. (also affected by the top screw.)

A warning: it is possible to overtighten the top screw such that you think it is good, since there is no play at the steering wheel.
BUT when you make the first 90 degree turn going down the street; the steering will lock in the extreme position and not return to center. (With potential for ensuing calamity.) So be careful to not get the top screw over tight.
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Steering box rebuild kit Reply with quote

OKType3Tim wrote:
Quote:

A basic overview:
A) The ball bearings do wear, so the first adjustment is the big adjuster nut, but you are only trying to get a small preload on the bearings. (As I mentioned in the post above.)
B) Then the adjuster screw on the top is set such that there is no play in the steering box operation when turning the input shaft (steering wheel shaft) 90 degrees left to 90 degrees right. That means no play can be felt between turning the input shaft and feeling the output/drop arm shaft. If it is to tight when turning through the middle (straight ahead) spot, then back of just a bit. The adjustment can go from being wrong, to being correct in as little of 5 degrees of turn of the top screw. I.E. "sneak up on the setting" If you get to tight, back off and come at it again.

A good source to read before you begin is here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/practicalwork_steering.php

Keep in mind that the play you feel at the steering wheel is the cumulative play from all of the steering components.

* There is always some play in the four tie rod ends.
* Some in the steering worm shaft bearings [which will let the worm shaft move up and down ever so slightly-thus you need a bit of preload).
* Some in the interference fit between the roller surface and the worm surface (this is what the top screw affects).
* Some in the side play of the roller where it is installed in the roller shaft. (If it is worn out, then it is worn out-.002 inch play between the side of the roller, and the side of the housing. A typical human hair is thicker than this.
* Some play in the interface of the top adjusting screw with the cavity in the top of the roller shaft. (also affected by the top screw.)

A warning: it is possible to overtighten the top screw such that you think it is good, since there is no play at the steering wheel.
BUT when you make the first 90 degree turn going down the street; the steering will lock in the extreme position and not return to center. (With potential for ensuing calamity.) So be careful to not get the top screw over tight.
Thank you so much. Very Happy
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box rebuild kit Reply with quote

I've added this to "Follow the best "How to" threads" sticky under the Suspension & Steerring heading
Nicholas
dcondie7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box rebuild kit Reply with quote

From where is everyone buying their steering box rebuilt parts?
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box rebuild kit Reply with quote

VWNOS has em.
I think Wolfsburg West too.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box rebuild kit Reply with quote

Here's what I have available:

https://www.vwnos.com/steering-gearbox
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: