Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock Exhaust Choices
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkN72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Stock Exhaust Choices Reply with quote

Hi All,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good stock exhaust for a 1972 standard beetle. (I have had some aftermarket exhausts and have not been greatly impressed with the loudness compared to stock.)

I am looking at a “Dansk ceramic coated deluxe” at CIP and am wondering if it would look strange under the car where it has a mirror chrome looking finish. The stated durability and heat reduction sounds good, but I would rather not have something that stands out on the car. Maybe I am crazy and it is really not visible significantly, or would look good. Can’t seem to find any photos on the internet.

Also, does anyone know if I will likely see a significant performance reduction with stock exhaust compared to Dual QP muffler that was on the car.

Thanks a lot!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Exhaust Choices Reply with quote

What engine and specs?

What is the the carburetor set up?

Are you looking to replace the entire exhaust system?

Can you add a link to the CIP1 you are asking about?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
MarkN72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Exhaust Choices Reply with quote

Hi Xevin,

The engine is stock 1600cc dual port. Weber progressive carb and electronic ignition for a bit of extra performance. I feel like the Dual Quiet Pack muffler was probably adding a bit of performance also, but I don’t really like the look or sound of it any more so is not an option for me now.

Wondering if I will notice the performance hit significantly with a stock exhaust.

The exhaust I am looking at is at the link below.
https://www.cip1.ca/acc-c10-6064/

Thanks!
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Exhaust Choices Reply with quote

Have you looked at Vintage Speed? They have some very good exhaust systems for the type 1. May be a little $$$ but it is all stainless steel and looks very nice and sounds just as good. Just my 2 cents.
MarkN72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Exhaust Choices Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointer to Vintage Speed. Those exhaust systems look like amazing quality, so you probably get what you pay for. The stainless would look better under the car in my opinion.

I see that none of the Vintage Speed exhausts have connections for the stock heat riser tubes. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether those are needed for an aftermarket carb setup? The car has a (Weber progressive) copy Holley carburetor. The car is not driven in the winter but here in Canada fall and spring can be cool some mornings, and I have experienced the carb work a bit poorly until it warms up some. There was a time when I was even running a warm air hose into its intake, which is kind of silly. Maybe I just need a better carb? Or maybe I better stick with heat risers for cool Canada weather.

Any thoughts?
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Exhaust Choices Reply with quote

In my opinion, nothing performs better in cool weather starts than the stock set up.
Stock carb
Stock air filter w/ functional carb preheat air intake thermostat & flaps
Carb preheat stovepipe
Stock distributor
Stock muffler & intake with good heat risers

I had a bum preheat air thermostat and once I replaced that- the bug was like a little rocket in the mornings instead of a slug.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
MarkN72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Exhaust Choices Reply with quote

Sweet! Fully stock carb setup! Got a pretty big performance boost with the Holly carb throwing fuel in, but definitely the stock setup would be best for the cold. Always a compromise!

As the car is getting put back together, maybe should consider digging the stock carb and air cleaner out of a bin, and see how the car works. It is not being a daily driver and just for pleasure driving with the family, worth considering.

At least, I probably want to keep the heat risers so cold performance does not get worse. (Too bad no one makes a temp controlled hot air injection air cleaner for the Weber!)

This also reminds me that the insurance company always asks if the car is modified, presumably so they can charge me more. Do I really have to admit the car is modified to take HP from 45 to maybe 60-65?

Thanks for the info!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Exhaust Choices Reply with quote

MarkN72 wrote:
Thanks for the pointer to Vintage Speed. Those exhaust systems look like amazing quality, so you probably get what you pay for. The stainless would look better under the car in my opinion.

I see that none of the Vintage Speed exhausts have connections for the stock heat riser tubes. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether those are needed for an aftermarket carb setup? The car has a (Weber progressive) copy Holley carburetor. The car is not driven in the winter but here in Canada fall and spring can be cool some mornings, and I have experienced the carb work a bit poorly until it warms up some. There was a time when I was even running a warm air hose into its intake, which is kind of silly. Maybe I just need a better carb? Or maybe I better stick with heat risers for cool Canada weather.

Any thoughts?

The vintage speed setup is excellent quality, and they are available with heat risers, but they do not functional as well with a stock intake as an OEM style muffler would due to the way the heat risers are set up on them. They are also rather loud compared to stock, if that matters to you. Excellent choice for ground clearance and cosmetics if you run dual carbs, however. I love mine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Exhaust Choices Reply with quote

MarkN72 wrote:

Any thoughts?

It’s an option add on with some of the VS systems.

Options:

1. Factory Type 181 style heat riser. #2 cylinder positive pressure side. #4 cylinder negative pressure side.

2. Flange adaptors for muffler to flange heater box. Heater box 35mm flange sold separately.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
MarkN72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Exhaust Choices Reply with quote

Nice dual carbs and beautiful exhaust. That thing must sound cool and put out some good power!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Exhaust Choices Reply with quote

It's loud at WOT Shocked

Very powerful little 1776cc engine, that's for sure. Alstrup and Brian E really knocked it out of the park consulting on the build, it does exactly what I want. Great throttle response, and opening up from 1/3 throttle up to WOT to slingshot yourself out of the turns is so much fun with the way this thing revvs.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkN72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Exhaust Choices Reply with quote

Very Nice! I need your engine. 1776 cc is the way to go I guess. Some day I hope to build a better engine and will aim for that size.

Are you in a warm climate with the Dual Carbs? I remember my father telling a story of dual carbs on a vehicle and they were not good for the dead of winter with sub-freezing temperatures. My car is never driven in winter, so need to think about dual carbs on my dream engine!

Thanks!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Exhaust Choices Reply with quote

I've had no issues with them in the snow/below freezing on out-of-town trips, or on cold mornings. They will run like crap for a moment, but if you set them up well you can drive off right away to get them warm as soon as possible. They will run great once warmed up.

toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Exhaust Choices Reply with quote

I run a stainless CSP peashooter exhaust and it works great.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: