Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

engine sputtering under load
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
patricke1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: engine sputtering under load Reply with quote

I have a 1600 dual port with an weber progressive 2bbl. I just picked up the machine and cant seem to get it running..I timed it replaced cap rotor plugs and wires.. it will idle perfect but when you take it out on the road it hesitates, stepping down on the gas it brakes down and misses and pops and 4th gear has no power and slows down even floored. it had a dizzy 009 which looks to be kinda new..I set the points...I havent checked the valves yet.. thats tonight

any thoughts?
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: engine sputtering under load Reply with quote

Could be a few things , like bad new plug wires,, wrong jetting in the carb ? post a pic of the motor,sometime things just 'stick out' to us Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: engine sputtering under load Reply with quote

well your going to get a bunch of helpful responses but be prepared for the barrage of " those carbs are junk", and "you need to preheat center mount carbs " comments.
me personally, I like the 32/36 and have had them on several buggies and currently run a 38/38 on a boosted 2021.
rebuild kits are cheap and those carbs are easy to do, rebuild that carb and clean out all the ports. look up redline and they should have a pdf on rebuilding and tuning.
first off , no matter what carb, make SURE valves are set & ignition is good. I couldn't count how many buggies I've worked on that ppl were sure had a junk engine and all it needed was tune up and valves set.
just my 2 cents..
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
patricke1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: engine sputtering under load Reply with quote

ok I will look at the valves, also it wont rev up in gear without breakdown
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: engine sputtering under load Reply with quote

My guess is that the carb needs some love.
Or you could have some intake leaks, leaky heads, broken or worn lifters, no preheat on the manifold, bad distributor, bad coil. I’m sure someone will add to the list.
I ran one through 3 different engine combinations (1679, 1776 and 1915). Every time, the carb needed some love.
Take out the jets and take note of their values.
Might be able to help you from there.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
patricke1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: engine sputtering under load Reply with quote

it has a 009 dizzy and I think the dist is bad..the points wont more, I have an old one on my shelf and the points more on the plate they are mounted to but the one in the car wont move at all
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: engine sputtering under load Reply with quote

Has the car ever run good? When? Anything change?
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: engine sputtering under load Reply with quote

Mikedrevguy wrote:
Has the car ever run good? When? Anything change?

It amazes me how many people comment in a thread without reading it!
patricke1971 wrote:
I just picked up the machine and cant seem to get it running..

Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: engine sputtering under load Reply with quote

patricke1971 wrote:
it has a 009 dizzy and I think the dist is bad..the points wont more, I have an old one on my shelf and the points more on the plate they are mounted to but the one in the car wont move at all

So when the engine turns over the points do not open? Even when you set the gap? Confused

Quick test would be to put in another set of points, or swap in the distributor you have set aside.Turn the engine over by hand until the rotor is pointing at the #1 notch, and then put the next distributor in the same orientation. Should be a five minute thing to try.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: engine sputtering under load Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
My guess is that the carb needs some love.
Or you could have some intake leaks, leaky heads, broken or worn lifters, no preheat on the manifold, bad distributor, bad coil. I’m sure someone will add to the list.
I ran one through 3 different engine combinations (1679, 1776 and 1915). Every time, the carb needed some love.
Take out the jets and take note of their values.
Might be able to help you from there.

this right here. needs to be pulled apart and inspected, it might have a lot of garbage in it.
houserjw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: engine sputtering under load Reply with quote

You have a few things to look at that could be the problem but don't forget that a bad condenser can make you pull your hair out and it's a simple replacement.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: engine sputtering under load Reply with quote

If its all new to you, I would start with cleaning up the carburettor, checking for blocked jets. Check for air leaks. Generally check for everything being tidy.

But to me, it sounds like yet another badly jetted progressive carburettor, without heat ...

It will work better with an SVDA once you tune it up some.

I am fairly happy with mine in my bus, but it took a while with a permanently fitted PLX Devices AFR meter, and reinstalling all the stock air cleaner and hot air feed.

Engine bay
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Foot off gas, engine braking ..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: engine sputtering under load Reply with quote

I once replaced my engine with a slightly more modified one. I transferred my bud spray from engine to the other and figured it would require a bigger jet. Spottered like crazy top end. Went back to the jets I was using and it ran great.
No experience with progressive carbs, though.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: engine sputtering under load Reply with quote

Too lean up top....

Or, weak ignition.

Even a good working stock ignition won't keep a HiPo VW motor lit.

Most times, I recommend going to an MSD box or similar high energy ignition to keep the cyls lit at WOT.

Also, you can try going to a smaller plug gap.. If this helps, then you know for sure it's ignition related.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: engine sputtering under load Reply with quote

Kinda the opposite of what I said. 🤷🏻‍♂️
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: engine sputtering under load Reply with quote

Tom is spot on with a weakass Ignition,, had spark blow out on my Bug ,, until I closed the gap,, was chasing my tail on that for a while Embarassed Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: