Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New rectangular headlight options
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtmtber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New rectangular headlight options Reply with quote

I ordered the GoWesty kit during their recent sale and they came this week. I have to say that out of the box they look great. With everything that's included in their kit, even at full price, it's a great deal. The new adjusters and tins are a huge bonus over what Bus Depot offers. I wasn't expecting the aesthetic improvement of having four shiny, clear lenses so that was a pleasant surprise. New outer lenses with old inner lenses would have probably annoyed me. The new clips for the grill is a nice touch too.

I installed them today and I couldn't be happier. I already had relays and higher wattage bulbs in my original lenses and all I got were two bright hot spots and not much else. I ordered Hella 90/100W H4 bulbs for the new lenses and the beam pattern is great. There is really no comparison between the GoWesty lenses and the originals; no significant hot spots and the cut off is nice. Now I can see where I'm going and I don't feel like I'm blinding oncoming traffic.

Nice product GoWesty!

Ken
Jacebc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New rectangular headlight options Reply with quote

vtmtber wrote:
I ordered the GoWesty kit during their recent sale and they came this week. I have to say that out of the box they look great. With everything that's included in their kit, even at full price, it's a great deal. The new adjusters and tins are a huge bonus over what Bus Depot offers. I wasn't expecting the aesthetic improvement of having four shiny, clear lenses so that was a pleasant surprise. New outer lenses with old inner lenses would have probably annoyed me. The new clips for the grill is a nice touch too.

I installed them today and I couldn't be happier. I already had relays and higher wattage bulbs in my original lenses and all I got were two bright hot spots and not much else. I ordered Hella 90/100W H4 bulbs for the new lenses and the beam pattern is great. There is really no comparison between the GoWesty lenses and the originals; no significant hot spots and the cut off is nice. Now I can see where I'm going and I don't feel like I'm blinding oncoming traffic.

Nice product GoWesty!

Ken

Thanks for the update. Can you share your order list. I’m confused about what bulbs to order.

Any install tips you can share?
vtmtber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New rectangular headlight options Reply with quote

Jacebc wrote:
vtmtber wrote:

Nice product GoWesty!

Ken

Thanks for the update. Can you share your order list. I’m confused about what bulbs to order.

Any install tips you can share?

I got these bulbs and connectors from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COBLKW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076JGTB7H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It would probably be helpful to get the H4 bulb caps from GoWesty too.
https://www.gowesty.com/product/exterior-lighting/25157/-h4-headlight-bulb-sealing-cap?v=

The installation was pretty straightforward since the headlights came assembled. I soldered the wires together and used two layers of heat shrink. Then all you have to do is install the headlight assemblies and aim them as necessary.
Jacebc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New rectangular headlight options Reply with quote

Thank you!
jimnto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New rectangular headlight options HELP ME TODAY Reply with quote

Hi All
I am stuck because my temporary permit (From BC) is about to expire (I am in Ontario).

I may.. like the exotic GoWesty kits for headlights but is there a down and dirty solution that is available to me in Toronto to replace one low beam headlight to pass safety check? I need a quick solution because my headlight glass has a hole. The headlights work fine but the glass won't pass safety.

Quick/dirty/easy vanagon rectangular headlight replacement/conversion needed

JimNto 1986 vanagon with rectangle headlights
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New rectangular headlight options HELP ME TODAY Reply with quote

jimnto wrote:
Hi All
I am stuck because my temporary permit (From BC) is about to expire (I am in Ontario).

I had Saab 900 headlights/housings in hand at a junk yard, they are a good-enough version. I ended up leaving them though, the place had doubled the prices on everything the day before I got there, and I didn't know. Got to the counter, only to walk out the door with all the money I had come in with.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New rectangular headlight options Reply with quote

About 10 years ago I went to my FLSPS and bought a pair of Sylvania sealed beam Silver Stars. With a Bernzomatic torch I "thawed" out the bond between the glass and the bucket. The OG Vanagon reflectors cracked and broke, but I didn't care as they were heavily sandblasted by 20 plus years of road crud. I then Dremeled out the bucket so the Sylvania rectangular lights would fit and put them in with JB Weld.

They have been fantastically better than the factory and close enough for a tenth the price of some of the fancy new conversion kits. I know some of these will outshine mine, but dollar per foot of illumination distance, I know I gottem beat.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: New rectangular headlight options Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
About 10 years ago I went to my FLSPS and bought a pair of Sylvania sealed beam Silver Stars.
What's an FLSPS, spelling Nazi? Laughing
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: New rectangular headlight options Reply with quote

FLAPS FriendlyLocalAutoPartsS tore FLAPS
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: New rectangular headlight options HELP ME TODAY Reply with quote

jimnto wrote:
Hi All

I may.. like the exotic GoWesty kits for headlights but is there a down and dirty solution that is available to me in Toronto to replace one low beam headlight to pass safety check? I need a quick solution because my headlight glass has a hole. The headlights work fine but the glass won't pass safety.

Not knowing ontario inspections, obviously, my question is how big is the hole? Could you seal it very temporarily with some kind of clear sealant (i.e., shoe goo/ automotive "goop", maybe with a backer) or is too big for that? Or, is Ontario very thorough and no way that would pass?

I've been driving with an epoxy repaired high beam lens for as long as I've owned my van. It passes the North Carolina safety inspection, but that does not mean it would pass somewhere else.
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: New rectangular headlight options Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:

Friendly
Local
Screwdriver
Parts
Store

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: New rectangular headlight options HELP ME TODAY Reply with quote

jimnto wrote:

Just pick up a used one for now and figure out your upgrade later.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: New rectangular headlight options Reply with quote

Do one of my FLAPS solutions with the one with the hole and get it inspected. Your reflector is shot anyway so there is nothing to loose. Then there is plenty of time to check the delta between the two and make a decision about another FLAPS visit or a multi dollar upgrade. Whatever you want.
jimnto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: New rectangular headlight options Reply with quote

Many Thanks - Local Volkswagen garage guy found a used bucket for $40 to me. I need to jerry rig some adjusters but I'm on the way to a safety. love the discussion and thank you.

Jim N
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New rectangular headlight options Reply with quote

jimnto wrote:
Many Thanks - Local Volkswagen garage guy found a used bucket for $40 to me. I need to jerry rig some adjusters but I'm on the way to a safety. love the discussion and thank you.

I used a $5 HF metric nut, bolt, & washer assortment kit to fab up replacement adjusters that are more robust than OEM.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: New rectangular headlight options Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:
FLAPS FriendlyLocalAutoPartsS tore FLAPS
Fully aware, thanks! That's not what Duncan wrote...
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: New rectangular headlight options Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:

Friendly
Local
Screwdriver
Parts
Store

Of course!!! Laughing
www.thebassspa.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: