Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing expansion tank
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emily_is_going_Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Replacing expansion tank Reply with quote

Hey all! Replacing the coolant expansion tank and sensor today (as soon as it arrives)! Any notable advice? Moral support? Must have tools? I was told to refill the tank with coolant that was in the original tank and top it off with more coolant then burp it. Lol! I was like “like a baby!?!?” Mechanic said “pretty much” Laughing I had babies, I can do that.
I have a ‘90 Vanagon multivan westfalia
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing expansion tank Reply with quote

If you use coolant hose clamps, you can minimize the coolant loss, and thus the need for significant air bleeding. Just be aware that the plastic tanks on the market now have a dismal record of early failures. I strongly recommend the GW aluminum tank. I swapped one into a 2.3 WBX Multivan a few months ago. That van had two tank failures in five years--no more. It's pricey, but worth it in the long term.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing expansion tank Reply with quote

Van Cafe has a good metal tank too.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing expansion tank Reply with quote

There is some plastic tank which is of good repute, I think GoWesty sells it. I have had it installed for three years, still good.

That said if you have the money buy a metal tank. If you were unaware of the bad reputation of many plastic tanks, be aware there is one and consider researching if the one you ordered isn't due to cause you suffering in the future.

-Rob
Emily_is_going_Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing expansion tank Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Both metal and plastic tanks are out of stock at GW so just to get her going again (my daily driver) I had to order a plastic one from van-again. I will for sure be keeping a close eye on the tank. The metal one is in my future as soon as they are available again!
Hose clamps-check.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing expansion tank Reply with quote

(appears to be) in stock
and functionally equivalent to the GW unit

https://www.vancafe.com/025121403-AL-p/025121403-al.htm

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing expansion tank Reply with quote

I'm certainly no GW fanboy, but I do like the sight glass on the side of the tank. This really helps with refilling the tank at the end of the swap.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing expansion tank Reply with quote

Emily_is_going_Westy wrote:
...I was told to refill the tank with coolant that was in the original tank and top it off with more coolant then burp it...

The 'burp it' step may be a bit more involved than simply topping up the new tank -- depending on how much coolant gets lost and how much air gets in you may need to bleed the cooling system to get it full enough.

Lots of superstition, tricks and voodoo on this subject in the archives.

I use an electric pump but the 'Libby Bong' method seems to work well for many. A search on that term should turn up an exhaustive thread.

It is important to get the system pretty full (by bleeding) - once you have done that any remaining air will usually find its way to the tank so you just top it up (cold engine) a few times after a heat cycle.
DeLvxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing expansion tank Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
(appears to be) in stock

Does anyone know about the special "subaru bracket" that van cafe sells. Is this necessary if I am replacing the tank in my already-swapped van?
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing expansion tank Reply with quote

DeLvxe wrote:
valvecovergasket wrote:
(appears to be) in stock

Does anyone know about the special "subaru bracket" that van cafe sells. Is this necessary if I am replacing the tank in my already-swapped van?

probably depends on what youve got going on for mounting tabs in your bay already.

i used one when putting that tank in my tdi swap
https://www.vancafe.com/RMW-ALB-p/rmw-1002104.htm

just lets you hang the tank on something.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Emily_is_going_Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing expansion tank Reply with quote

Hey party people! I did it! I replaced the coolant tank with the help of my 12 year old son. This van has been an amazing thing for him and I. He is learning some valuable things on her that I’m sure he will take with him the rest of his life.
Some things I learned:
It’s messy.
Get good hose clamps (the plastic ones are meh)
Hoses are persnickety
Make sure the temp thermometer is really really on tight
It’s messy (needed to be repeated)
It wasn’t as scary as I thought when all was said and done

I went with the plastic tank for cost purposes. I will replace with the metal one for sure down the road (pun har har).

Have a great day everyone!!! Thanks for the support 🥰
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing expansion tank Reply with quote

I didn't realize plastic hose clamps were a thing and I would definitely not use them.

Glad you got it sorted!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: