Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Temperature sender torque
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
megamau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Temperature sender torque Reply with quote

I recently bought a 88 vanagon that worked fine for about 2000Km and then busted the expansion tank. At this time I took the opportunity to check the cooling system for any leaks or faulty electronics and I found a bunch of problems.

- Aux water pomp not working
- Aux pump sensor broken
- Temperature senders (dash and glow plugs) faulty
- Expansion cap not holding any pressure

So I bought all the parts and I'm about to install them but I got a question: Can I simply screw these sensors normally to a tight fit, or do they need a specific torque?

Last edited by megamau on Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature sender tightness Reply with quote

I have no clue if there is an aftermarket metal expansion tank that will fit your application, but I would search this out before I would install another plastic tank. When going to a metal tank you get rid of not only the splitting issue but you get a pressure cap design that is more dependable and for which replacements can be had at most any auto parts store.
megamau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature sender tightness Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I have no clue if there is an aftermarket metal expansion tank that will fit your application, but I would search this out before I would install another plastic tank. When going to a metal tank you get rid of not only the splitting issue but you get a pressure cap design that is more dependable and for which replacements can be had at most any auto parts store.

I thought of this actually, and after researching a bit, I found a company that sells them. But then I realized my current tank lasted for more than 30 years, same as the cap so, I'm going on the cheap and buy a new plastic tank. I also bought a couple of Blau OEM caps.
megamau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature sender torque Reply with quote

megamau wrote:
I recently bought a 88 vanagon that worked fine for about 2000Km and then busted the expansion tank. At this time I took the opportunity to check the cooling system for any leaks or faulty electronics and I found a bunch of problems.

- Aux water pomp not working
- Aux pump sensor broken
- Temperature senders (dash and glow plugs) faulty
- Expansion cap not holding any pressure

So I bought all the parts and I'm about to install them but I got a question: Can I simply screw these sensors normally to a tight fit, or do they need a specific torque?

bump!

I really need to know this. Am I supposed to tighten these sensors with a torque wrench or simply by feel?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature sender torque Reply with quote

By feel, and not too tight.

Mark
megamau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature sender torque Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
By feel, and not too tight.

Mark

Thank you Mark.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature sender torque Reply with quote

There is a well documented history of replacement early plastic tank failures.

The plastic tanks split at the seam, caps pop off (thread deformation) and they just seem to get soft with normal operating temperatures.

Many are on the road though, keep an eye on it. Sudden failure could cost you an engine.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
megamau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature sender torque Reply with quote

The original one lasted 34 years. It cracked on the side, a very small crack that only leaks under pressure.

New ones won't last that many years, but it's a question of keeping an eye.

BTW, I bought this Meyle one (it says original quality):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature sender torque Reply with quote

Pics of the auxiliary water pump? Is this an inline temp controlled electric pump?
megamau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature sender torque Reply with quote

It's used to circulate the coolant when you turn the van off and also to help when the coolant temperature reaches 105ºC.

Here are some pics:

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature sender torque Reply with quote

it's not that the replacement plastic tank won't last 15 years. (it probably won't)
but when it fails. it won't just weep, it very well will split and when it's the hottest.. ie. when you are working the engine and not likely at a good time.

the aluminum tanks will not fail... so no need to worry about if its's a good time or not for a failure..

it's one thing if this is a back and forth to work kinda vehicle and you have a back up to handle a delay.. it's another thing if this is a travel/vacation vehicle and to costs of an interrupted trip far exceed the savings.

nice clean engine bay btw..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature sender torque Reply with quote

Is that a diesel thing? That doesn't look like my engine bay.
megamau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature sender torque Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
it's not that the replacement plastic tank won't last 15 years. (it probably won't)
but when it fails. it won't just weep, it very well will split and when it's the hottest.. ie. when you are working the engine and not likely at a good time.

the aluminum tanks will not fail... so no need to worry about if its's a good time or not for a failure..

it's one thing if this is a back and forth to work kinda vehicle and you have a back up to handle a delay.. it's another thing if this is a travel/vacation vehicle and to costs of an interrupted trip far exceed the savings.

nice clean engine bay btw..

I completely agree that an aluminum tank is way better.
And it's not my engine bay, it's a photo from google Smile However I must say mine is as clean as this one since the previous owner of my van really took care of it. Still only 110.00Km on the odometer (68.000 miles)

4Gears4Tires wrote:

Is that a diesel thing? That doesn't look like my engine bay.

Yes, a 1.6TD JX
megamau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature sender torque Reply with quote

For anyone curious, I strongly recommend draining all the coolant from the expansion tank before replacing it. I was able to replace the tank without losing a single drop of coolant.

However... I'm going to flush everything soon as this is what I found in the old tank:
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature sender torque Reply with quote

Looks like radiator sealant of some sort.
megamau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature sender torque Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Looks like radiator sealant of some sort.

It looks slimy, and it kind of was, but it was mostly mado out of small black particles, like soot. My guess is deteorated rubber (33 years tank)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: