Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 standard - right tail light issue
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cptcrusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:24 am    Post subject: 74 standard - right tail light issue Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been buried in a baja build for some time now. While stripping the rear fenders all the tail light bolts broke/sheared. 50 years of rust I guess. I decided to get creative and put a strip light on the double tube bumper which looks pretty good so far, but I can't get the right turn signal to work with out the right turn signal light actually being there.

The wires for the strip light are on the left, I have it grounded to the frame. Left side works great. Right turn signal works great, but if I disconnect the turn signal wire from the harness and connect directly to it, it doesn't work. Hook the turn signal back up, wrap the wire around the connection, and it works.

I completely disassembled the right turn signal and connected to the piece that goes in the back of the tail light bucket, as well as running another ground wire over to the frame on the left. Still nothing.

Battery is hooked up to a tender, and is fully charged Brake/Reverse/Left signal work.

Strip light is the kind found on the bottom of a pickup tail gate.

TIA.
Crusty.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: 74 standard - right tail light issue Reply with quote

cptcrusty1 wrote:
Hi,

I've been buried in a baja build for some time now. While stripping the rear fenders all the tail light bolts broke/sheared. 50 years of rust I guess. I decided to get creative and put a strip light on the double tube bumper which looks pretty good so far, but I can't get the right turn signal to work with out the right turn signal light actually being there.

The wires for the strip light are on the left, I have it grounded to the frame. Left side works great. Right turn signal works great, but if I disconnect the turn signal wire from the harness and connect directly to it, it doesn't work. Hook the turn signal back up, wrap the wire around the connection, and it works.

I completely disassembled the right turn signal and connected to the piece that goes in the back of the tail light bucket, as well as running another ground wire over to the frame on the left. Still nothing.

Battery is hooked up to a tender, and is fully charged Brake/Reverse/Left signal work.

Strip light is the kind found on the bottom of a pickup tail gate.

TIA.
Crusty.

Your statements do not make sense....

IF it works correctly connected, why would you disconnect it.....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 74 standard - right tail light issue Reply with quote

Odd situation. Step one would be to hook it up so it works and then try taking the bulb out of the socket to see if the strip light keeps working. If it does it is likely a corrosion issue in the harness. If it stops working it MIGHT be the flasher. Best guess I’ve got for now. Let me know how it works out.

67 Beetle bought new, 95% stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cptcrusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 74 standard - right tail light issue Reply with quote

Pops67Beetle wrote:
Odd situation. Step one would be to hook it up so it works and then try taking the bulb out of the socket to see if the strip light keeps working. If it does it is likely a corrosion issue in the harness. If it stops working it MIGHT be the flasher. Best guess I’ve got for now. Let me know how it works out.

I hooked it up so it works like you said. I basically took a piece of wire and wrapped it around the connection coming from the signal bucket, harness. That worked, which I expected it to since it's grounded. I pulled the bulb out and it quit.

Question. Is there a seperate flasher relay for each one?? Or a seperate fuse maybe? I may have to completely reassemble it and see if that works.

Just so you know... I"m completely removing the tail lights. I'm taking the backer plate, cleaning up the back of it, turning it around, and then I'm going to prime/paint it black. In the little hole that the wiring goes through, I"m going to put a little red LED running light so that people can see where the fenders are. The strip on the double-tube engine cage will be the primary brake lights and turn signals.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 74 standard - right tail light issue Reply with quote

cptcrusty1 wrote:
Pops67Beetle wrote:

I hooked it up so it works like you said. I basically took a piece of wire and wrapped it around the connection coming from the signal bucket, harness. That worked, which I expected it to since it's grounded. I pulled the bulb out and it quit.

Question. Is there a seperate flasher relay for each one?? Or a seperate fuse maybe? I may have to completely reassemble it and see if that works.

Just so you know... I"m completely removing the tail lights. I'm taking the backer plate, cleaning up the back of it, turning it around, and then I'm going to prime/paint it black. In the little hole that the wiring goes through, I"m going to put a little red LED running light so that people can see where the fenders are. The strip on the double-tube engine cage will be the primary brake lights and turn signals.

Probably because either the front bulb is not functional or does not draw enough amperage (current) to trigger flasher....

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
cptcrusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 74 standard - right tail light issue Reply with quote

Front bulb.... D'OH! I'll go check that.
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 74 standard - right tail light issue Reply with quote

If it’s as simple as a bulb I’ll wet my pants!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 standard - right tail light issue Reply with quote

Pops67Beetle wrote:

I would bet if he pulls rear bulb on left side he will get same failure....

Problem here may just be he does not understand how flasher works.....

stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 74 standard - right tail light issue Reply with quote

more than likely he needs a flasher designed for led or has to add a resistor in the light system for the stock flasher to work properly. there has to be enough wattage draw for the flasher to heat up and break connection.
cptcrusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 standard - right tail light issue Reply with quote

Pops67Beetle wrote:

Well... I hope you wear depends..

First... I very much DO understand how the flasher works.... The problem was found accidentally when I tripped over a toy and landed on the front right fender. After that, the flasher started working. I scratched my head for a minute and ended up pulling the front turn signal apart. Turns out the socket and the bulb were really corroded and chose that time to get stupid.

A little sanding paper, some careful sanding and vuala! It works.
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 standard - right tail light issue Reply with quote

Now I understand why we have kids! Glad you got it sorted out.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: