Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good years? Missing years?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Good years? Missing years? Reply with quote

So since I have started on my restore, I monitor what other Typ 3 are being offered or discussed in EB and The Samba.
Maybe it is me, but I see:
1. A lot of 1964 notchbacks offered or discussed more than other years of Notches
2. Hardly any 66 Notch, Fasties, or Squares in comparison to other years. 1965 is almost the same.
3. Lots and lots of 70 and 71 Squares.

We are talking cars 50 years or more. Wondering whether if like wine, these were good survivors. Or, the production years for those years were better or worse compared to other years. Or maybe, the years I don't see are keepers and the owners love them too much.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Good years? Missing years? Reply with quote

I think it's the production numbers. Look at the 66, 70, and 71 quantities, 66 and 70 were the two biggest years

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/productionfigurest3.php
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Good years? Missing years? Reply with quote

I've primarily owned either 64 or 65 Variants over the last 25+ years. I have not created a build thread here for any of my cars and don't post a whole lot about it. I know of at least 20 other people with Type 3s across the country that don't post anything about their cars online. Probably half of those people aren't actively working on their cars (they're 'done') so they're just driving them from time to time.

Locally speaking - most of the people I know with a Type 3 rely on their local network to find parts or solutions and they don't post much (if at all) on forums with questions. When I lived in California - I'd just hop in the car and go get parts or call up a friend with a Type 3.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Good years? Missing years? Reply with quote

I kind of have to agree with Josh. In my case I had a 70 Fastback (my wife's car) that I started my learning curve on. Between the Bentley manual, and actually taking the car apart I learned quite a bit about these cars. As I got older, I wanted a Notch, and eventually bought one. Of course it was rusty, but I just welded in patches as needed, and made it run and drive. As time went on, I re-fined it some, and even went back to fix some stuff. I did drive it regularly in the summer months, for 10 years, but in the last few years, it's just been sitting, due mostly to health reasons. I still plan on getting it up and running again and clearing out the cobwebs though. I'll be replacing the rubber fuel hoses with new, and the exhaust system again as rust keeps attacking it (was used from AZ when I got it). I've been on the fence on whether to keep the stock muffler on it, or go back to a header set up like I had in the early 2000's. I liked the sound of the header and glass pack muffler, but with a real tail pipe to change the tone of the GP.
In reality, it's just a matter of digging in, do some research of your car, and read the forums to see what others are doing with their own cars, and go from there. Some are trying to go 100% stock, while others are going mildly modified, and some are just looking for improvements to make them more fun. That's the thing, these cars can be done up however you want to do to them. Stock, mild custom, full custom or whatever, it's all alright. Some like stock height, others slammed on earlies, and some somewhere in between.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Good years? Missing years? Reply with quote

I dont own a type 3 these days but have owned and extensively driven a handful. I have owned two 1966 models...which if they had been in better shape I think I "might" have liked them better. I owned a 1970 model fastback. It ran well and was just...nice.

Looks and equipment wise I have never like the mid 1960's type 3's that much....especially the notchbacks. I think they look far too much like a Lada or Trabant...and yet do not have the Soviet charm those those cars had Laughing

My favorite type 3 for fit, finish, drivability was a 1972 fastback. Ray
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Good years? Missing years? Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I knew the production numbers, and the Variant/Squares seem to be the most common in the US. I had just been amazed at the number of 1964 notchbacks in the discussion and posted for sale.
To a prior point, I likely would not be contributing or posting as much if I were not in the restore mode. The Samba has been a real source for me that I wish I had had when doing the single cab in the 80s. I likely would still have it now. The recommendations and offers by all of you for my restoration is really appreciated.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Good years? Missing years? Reply with quote

There's also been what seems to be a surge in demand for early Notchbacks in the last ten years or so - this is probably why they seem to be so much more prevalent. I remember going to shows before this and seeing a fairly even distribution of early cars between the Notchback and Variant/Squareback. Of late - the shows are predominately Notchbacks.

You know what's harder to find than a decent 64 Notchback? A decent 64 Variant.

Last edited by ataraxia on Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Good years? Missing years? Reply with quote

Couple thoughts. Especially this last year or so, people seem to have some disposable income. A lot of people thought notchbacks were cool and rare in the 80's and 90's and can now afford to have one.

Having had a couple, a beater sunroof 64 that was actually nicer than I give credit to, and a really really nice 63, I would rather have a squareback, and I have had a couple of those too. There really is nothing special about notchbacks except they are more uncommon in the US for exactly the reasons Ray gave. VW knew this and never even tried to send them over here.

in general in the past 30 years of being into VW's, I see less 1962 VW's than any other year. There was a recession and people don't buy cars. 64 and 65 were great selling years, Chevy sold a million 1965 Impala's starting in August of 64. Society was changing, income was up, jobs a plenty, etc.

I think the 64-66 VW's are the best personally. For the type 3's they had a bigger engine compartment area allowing for dual carbs and the fat trim, white knobs, everything just clean and simple... Still looking for a really nice 66 sunroof fastback as I've never had one. A 64-66 sunroof squareback would be ok too Smile
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: