Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EZ Pass
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: EZ Pass Reply with quote

Anyone have a Turnpike EZ Pass on their Beetle? How does it work out? The beetle windshield being nearly vertical, can the reader see it?

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: EZ Pass Reply with quote

Yes I’ve had one on my 74 bug for years. The EZ pass which is actually a sticker is very small and mounts inside the car behind the rear view mirror so it can’t be seen by driver. Flawless operation and they never forget to bill me😀
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: EZ Pass Reply with quote

Thanks zund. Of course they never forget the bill. I rarely take the turnpike but last few years it seems the rules are different every time. The Bill by plate is expensive. I guess I will get one. Thanks again.

Mike T

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: EZ Pass Reply with quote

Don’t know about your location but here they offer a slight discount using the EZ pass and now the states have entered a compact whereby they share info with other states. Sadly it’s more surveillance by the state. Several years ago I got a call from the great state of Texas saying I owed them unpaid tolls. That’s some sort of bullshit a previous owner did with the car because I didn’t own it and could prove it but I guess some folks just pay, not me.

If you do set up the account they usually want you to maintain a minimum balance. It works out to you giving them interest free loan 😀 if you get past the little aggravations it’s not that bad.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: EZ Pass Reply with quote

Northeast Pennsylvania. North of Scranton. If I was going south the Northeast extension of 476 was a good way to avoid the traffic in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area. Harrisburg or Allentown was easy peasy. Then (Before 2017) all you did was toss some change in the basket and go. Then was about $1. Last time I went the license plate reader system surprised me. Didn't know they changed it up. Cost me $8. So EZ Pass it is.

Mike T

pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: EZ Pass Reply with quote

The easy pass will still read even if its in the glove box! The only way to keep it from reading is in the weird electronics bag it comes in.

Got one for a second car, took it out set it up, stuck it in my glove box to get it to the other car drove from Cranberry to the Washington DC exit on PA turnpike and it read and charged both transponders. Was a pain to get a refund.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: EZ Pass Reply with quote

No toll roads in western Canada to my knowledge, lucky us! The Japanese imported Forester we have has some sort of similar devise that used to talk to me in Japanese every time I bumped it with my knee. I disconnected it. It looks like it reads a credit card.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: EZ Pass Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
No toll roads in western Canada to my knowledge, lucky us! The Japanese imported Forester we have has some sort of similar devise that used to talk to me in Japanese every time I bumped it with my knee. I disconnected it. It looks like it reads a credit card.

Ha. I hit the OnStar button on my 2018 TRAX adjusting the mirror once in a while. I don't even subscribe. Weird hearing a disembodied voice addressing me in my own car. The operators are cool with it. I guess it happens a lot. Damn button is right there easy to hit.

Mike T

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: EZ Pass Reply with quote

A fellow told me an "Onstar story" a while back. Him and 5 buddies had a day off while working way up north. So with no local entertainment options they made their own fun. They got a case of beer, drove out onto the middle of Lesser Slave Lake (winter, frozen solid) and hit the Onstar button. The lady came on asking what she could help them with:

"Sorry to bother you but we are in Winnipeg and are lost, could you help us find this address?" Winnipeg being about 2500 miles to the south...

"There is something wrong here Sir, my information tells me you are in the middle of a lake in the Canadian far north. Is that not correct? You can't be in the middle of a lake can you?"

"Oh no Miss, we are in Winnipeg."

"Hang on Sir while I check the calibration of this system."

They kept her going for an hour and a half! That was their solution to boredom and I'm pretty sure she wasn't bored either. Frustrated? Yes but not bored!
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: EZ Pass Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Thankfully the Port Mann and Golden Ears bridges are no longer toll bridges in Vancouver(ish). The Portland Metro Area here in Oregon is talking about putting a toll on one of our busiest highways Rolling Eyes ... not sure how well that will be received. https://www.oregon.gov/odot/tolling/Pages/I-205-Tolling.aspx

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: EZ Pass Reply with quote

You can buy holders on ebay that mount your EZPass onto the windshield with suction cups so you don't have to put that silly (and strong) tape on your windshield.

You can mount it anywhere. Some cars you put it right behind the rear view mirror on the windshield and you can't even see it. On my cars I have it mounted in the left lower corner of the windshield. Back in the day they offered tags that mounted to your front license plate which is pretty straight up and down

I have it attached to my AMEX so I get cash back. And yes....they make you have a minimum but its small (I think mine is $40) so the "interest free loan" is pennies a year maybe.

Took a trip from MA to NC and I was shocked by the number of people still waiting in line and paying cash. Why? Many of the toll stations have high speed EZPass lanes that you don;t even have to slow down in.
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: EZ Pass Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I have my bus registered on my EZ Pass account with no tag in the vehicle.

I just go through the EZ Pass anyways. They run your plate and as long as it's registered to an account they'll take the toll money out like they normally would.

None of my cars have a tag in them and I haven't had any issues for 3+ years.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: EZ Pass Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
And yes....they make you have a minimum but its small (I think mine is $40) so the "interest free loan" is pennies a year maybe.

Each state is different when you get over 4 cars registered here the sum you let them hold is 80 dollars. Some here would rather hold their own money. I was able to retire early watching a few pennies here and there😀
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: EZ Pass Reply with quote

Colorado and Florida have proprietary systems that I don't believe are compatible with the EZ-Pass system.

If fact, the private entity that runs the "Express Toll" system for Colorado was losing so much money on unreadable license plates, they were able to ram through legislation that took effect this month that requires you to get new plates any time you register a different vehicle. If you have a personalized plate or a number you've had a long time and want to keep, you have to surrender the old plates, pay a vanity plate fee, and install temporary tags while the prisoners make a new set of plates with the same number for you. I believe the state is also implementing a mandatory "recycling" program, where you are required to surrender your old plates whenever you sell a vehicle or take a car off the road.

I have an '86 Honda with readable, old-series two-letter plates from 1980 that I don't plan on letting expire any time soon. Let's see how long I can go before the state tries to confiscate them.

The prison system couldn't keep up with demand for license plates under the old system where license plates could be transferred from one vehicle to another. I'm waiting to see how quickly the state runs out of plates, as well as seeing how much the administrative burden of instituting a mandatory "recycling" system will cost the taxpayers through increased fees.

Massachusetts was historically the most anal state in demanding the return of old or expired plates. They finally gave up and now tell you to cut the plates in half before tossing them in your recycling bin.
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: EZ Pass Reply with quote

For what I heard Florida is now on the EZ Pass System.

And back to the original question, big truck windshields are flat too and they have no issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: EZ Pass Reply with quote

As others have mentioned ...it does not have to be on any of your windows at all.

It operates by RFID (Radio Frequency Identification). Inside of the decal in the layers is a printed antenna with a capacitive circuit that stores a data code. A WAN (wide area network) broadcast antenna in the toll plaza sends out a signal and when the antenna in your toll tag is hit with it it elicits a "ping" of sorts with your dat code and your account is billed.

It CAN be in the glovebox or laying on the seat and still work. As long as there the metals and plastics between the broadcast signal and antenna are not in just the right layering to block signal.....like a Faraday cage....which is what that "weird" bag is that the tag comes in.....the decal will work just fine.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: EZ Pass Reply with quote

Personally, I refuse to pay for those lanes.
I pay enough for roads with the taxes built into my gas price.
If it’s to get onto an island and the island gets it, then I don’t have a problem.
If it’s just on a “freeway”, I will avoid it.
We used to have a toll road here (GA 400).
There was only supposed to be a toll until the road was paid for.
It took a lawsuit to have the toll removed.

Now you have to beware of the “Public/Private Partnership”.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: EZ Pass Reply with quote

Patiently Impatient wrote:
For what it's worth, I have my bus registered on my EZ Pass account with no tag in the vehicle.

I just go through the EZ Pass anyways. They run your plate and as long as it's registered to an account they'll take the toll money out like they normally would.

This

I have 6 cars; only one transponder. Just have your plates on your EZ Pass account and you won't get dinged.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: EZ Pass Reply with quote

1970PAKombi wrote:
Patiently Impatient wrote:

This

I have 6 cars; only one transponder. Just have your plates on your EZ Pass account and you won't get dinged.

I just run a YOM tag on the back & no EZ pass, they ain’t got anything on file to send a bill to. Twisted Evil

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: EZ Pass Reply with quote

I have no EZ-pass tag yet.

I don't need one ...yet. The cost and discount vary by state and sometimes by city.

At least in Oklahoma and Texas....I can simply drive through the toll plaza and camera generated tag billing simply bills me.

Yes....just being billed from my tag costs more than if I had an EZ-pass account and transponder. That can vary by as much as 2X as much or as little as 5% more.

However.....I am on maybe one toll road every 10 days. Back in March and April I was on the turnpike for a recurring appointment across town...about 3 times per week. My total bill for all of that was about $18. If I had an Easy-pass.....it would have been about $11.

Not enough overall cost to care about the difference. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: