Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB 650 Springs - Which Spring Compressor?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: CB 650 Springs - Which Spring Compressor? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
I would like to know where Engle got their definitive 98% figure...

So they have been keeping track of every single cam failure for the last 60 years, and have somehow been able to figure out why it happened each time Razz Rolling Eyes Laughing

For sure, I have the same question. That said, what would surprise me even more is if Engle Cams was totally unaware of what caused cam failures and they just put a random guess on the instruction sheet to spice up the literature. I get that they're trying to have a way out of covering a failure, but why choose spring pressure? Plenty of destruction can happen by having too little as well, that's for sure.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: CB 650 Springs - Which Spring Compressor? Reply with quote

I do what Tom does and make sure the valve train is lubed well and the oil is primed correctly and then break in the engine with the dual springs installed.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: CB 650 Springs - Which Spring Compressor? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
I would like to know where Engle got their definitive 98% figure...

I guess low zinc oil, and too little spring pressure have very little to do with cam failures.....?

I’m not one for spring removal either.

fl59bug, do what makes you comfortable. You have done a lot of research, and spent a lot of money. If you have a leak down tester, or something you can put a continuous low pressure supply of air in the cylinder to keep the valves closed, taking the springs on/off isn’t that difficult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: CB 650 Springs - Which Spring Compressor? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. It's really good to get everyone's practical feedback instead of just taking for gospel truth what the manufacturer might be saying in order protect their own skin and do CYA. This thread started out with a question about which valve spring tool to use and has become a great discussion on the wider topic of cam break in!

Right now the heads are off so once my compressor tool gets here I'll test it on a spare 1300 head I have laying around before deciding if its really worth it to go to the trouble of disassembling the CB heads. Listening to you all, I'm leaning towards leaving them alone. If I'm wrong and I do end up "wiping" my cam I have no problem opening the case back up and starting over with another cam and set of lifters.

Ted
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: