Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'66 Ghia - Hub Cap Help
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gunther von Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: '66 Ghia - Hub Cap Help Reply with quote

Seeking hub cap help... I have repro hub caps for a '66 Ghia (probably JBugs), and just had my mechanic replace all the clips (ordered from Autohaus Arizona), as many of the clips were broken and the caps weren't secure. However, when my mechanic tried to put the hub caps back on, they're so tight that 2 clips broke just trying to pop it on. Tried a 2nd wheel, exactly the same, broke 2. And if I try to adjust the clips and bend them in slightly so they aren't so tight, they break immediately. Rolling Eyes

Anyone have any great tips or ideas? When we tried to pop them on we were pressing from the center not the edges, as suggested in the manual.

Alternatively, anyone happen to have, or know where best to procure, 4 original hub caps for a '66? I believe the size is the same regardless of VW model as long as it's the same year (?). He thought they may fit better?

Thanks in advance...
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Ghia - Hub Cap Help Reply with quote

I installed several new clips from Wolfsburg West on my '63 Beetle's wheels and they work great. No issues when I had to bend a few to adjust the tension either.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111601131WW

When installing a hubcap, I just hold it in place with one hand and pop it right in the center with the other hand.

You may have the wrong hubcaps for your wheels. I believe the stock wheels on a '66 Ghias had a flat hubcap that didn't use clips. Maybe a previous owner installed older wheels on your car that take the earlier-style hubcap.

Here's a couple of pics from the gallery to illustrate the difference.

Stock '66 Ghia hubcap ↓
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Older-style "baby moon" hubcaps used on '65 and earlier cars ↓

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)

Last edited by rcooled on Mon May 17, 2021 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gunther von Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Ghia - Hub Cap Help Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick and helpful response - it does appear I have '65 or older wheels on my '66 since the '66 wheels didn't have spring clips. So firstly, is this a problem? I did a google search and didn't come up with much. It drives fine...

It does however look like I do have the right (dome) hub caps meant for the clips, so I'll try again and if we keep breaking clips try the Wolfsburg brand (interestingly I ordered the Autohaus ones because I found so many posts saying they were better than Wolfsburg, sigh). But the Autohaus version is not pliable at all.

Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Ghia - Hub Cap Help Reply with quote

This is one of the few instances where Rcooled is incorrect. 66 still had wide 5 wheels. The wheels you have are correct for your model year, Gunther. Also the drums you have with the 'star' pattern in them are a 66-only drum as well.

BTW, did you buy your car on BAT back in March? By the door panel color, and the non-factory location of the windshield washer switch, it looks like it might be the same car.

67 was the first year for 4 lug wheels with no clips, which is what the above red car is.

The hubcaps in 66 still use the clips, but are flat. They are a one-year-only hubcap

From the gallery:
With the accompanying one-year-only trim ring
From the factory 66 wheels were non-slotted (smoothies), painted black, and the slotted trim ring was fitted over them.

Another gallery pic without the trim ring on aftermarket painted wide 5's

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue

Last edited by Era Vulgaris on Tue May 18, 2021 5:31 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gunther von Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Ghia - Hub Cap Help Reply with quote

Now I'm more confused. On JBugs, the flat hub cap they sell for a '66 Ghia is for a wheel with inner nubs, not clips: https://www.jbugs.com/product/131601151.html.

I cannot find on JBugs, Wolfsburg (they don't have any hubcaps for a '66), or Autohaus a flat '66 hubcap that is for a wheel with spring clips. It's either a '65 domed hubcap for a wheel w/clips, or a '66 "early flat" hubcap for a wheel with built in nubs no clips. If you have a source for a '66 flat cap for a wheel with clips can you please share a link?
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Ghia - Hub Cap Help Reply with quote

This is your hubcap. It's 66 only for Ghia. 66-67 for Beetles.
https://www.jbugs.com/product/131601151.html

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Ghia - Hub Cap Help Reply with quote

Since I've owned both a 66 and 67, I just went out to the garage and snapped these pics to show the differences between the 66 flat hubcap for wide 5 wheels that attaches via clips, and the 67 flat hubcap for 4 lug wheels that doesn't use clips.

66 is on the right, 67 on the left in all pics

Previously owned:
Gunther von Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Ghia - Hub Cap Help Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:

I did look at those, but if you page down there's a chart that indicates these are for different wheels with build in tabs, not springs - ?. But I'm eager to find a solution so I've ordered a set and will give it a try. Thanks for your response and help.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Ghia - Hub Cap Help Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
This is one of the few instances where Rcooled is incorrect.
Embarassed

Quote:
The hubcaps in 66 still use the clips, but are flat. They are a one-year-only hubcap.

Thanks for clearing this up...always something new to learn about these cars.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Ghia - Hub Cap Help Reply with quote

Gunther von Ghia wrote:
Era Vulgaris wrote:

I did look at those, but if you page down there's a chart that indicates these are for different wheels with build in tabs, not springs - ?. But I'm eager to find a solution so I've ordered a set and will give it a try. Thanks for your response and help.

That's strange, I don't know what Jbugs is talking about in that chart because my wheels have the same clips that yours have, and the flat hubcaps fit to them.

This is the best pic I could find that shows my wheels without hubcaps on. My car is at the paint shop right now, so I can't go out and snap a pic. But if you zoom in you can see the clips on the wheels are the same as yours

Previously owned:
Gunther von Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Ghia - Hub Cap Help Reply with quote

Thanks EverettB, I'll let you know how it goes when they come in.
farnhamassoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Ghia - Hub Cap Help Reply with quote

Gunther von Ghia wrote:
Seeking hub cap help... I have repro hub caps for a '66 Ghia (probably JBugs), and just had my mechanic replace all the clips (ordered from Autohaus Arizona), as many of the clips were broken and the caps weren't secure. However, when my mechanic tried to put the hub caps back on, they're so tight that 2 clips broke just trying to pop it on. Tried a 2nd wheel, exactly the same, broke 2. And if I try to adjust the clips and bend them in slightly so they aren't so tight, they break immediately. Rolling Eyes

Anyone have any great tips or ideas? When we tried to pop them on we were pressing from the center not the edges, as suggested in the manual.

Alternatively, anyone happen to have, or know where best to procure, 4 original hub caps for a '66? I believe the size is the same regardless of VW model as long as it's the same year (?). He thought they may fit better?

Hubcap clips from them had the same issue always get them at Wolfsburg west. The ones they get at autohauz az are from IMC. they have 2 different brands. one they always break one maybe not. but Wolfsburg west ones are about $1 more a set and always work.
Thanks in advance...

06 Jetta TDI 45mpg
Restored several 11 window kombi and standard
Current inventory 66 delux hard top, so23
60 ragtop and 61 hard top bugs 54 hardtop bug
67 tin top so42 62 SO10 ruthmann bucket truck
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Ghia - Hub Cap Help Reply with quote

The ‘66 Ghia, ‘66/‘67 Beetle slotted wide five wheels did NOT have hubcap clips. The lip on the hubcap snapped into dimples in the recess in the wheel, much like the 4-lug caps snap over the nipples on the rim face.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Ghia - Hub Cap Help Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
The ‘66/‘67 slotted wide five wheels did NOT have hubcap clips. The lip on the hubcap snapped into dimples in the recess in the wheel, much like the 4-lug caps snap over the nipples on the rim face.

I agree with qualification.......that is, did a '66 Ghia come from the factory with the very same wheel as a '66 Beetle? Confused
HBGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Ghia - Hub Cap Help Reply with quote

The wheels that came on my '66 Ghia if it helps. No clips
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Ghia - Hub Cap Help Reply with quote

Woah, hang on. I knew that 66 Beetles had slotted wide 5's, but did 66 Ghias definitely have them also? I always thought 66 Ghias had black wide 5 smoothies, covered by the slotted beauty ring and flat hubcap from the factory.

My 66 has a full set of 5 black 4jx15 smoothies with clips, which coincidentally the flat hubcap and slotted trim ring fit on perfectly. I know it's definitely possible that someone backdated all 5 wheels, but kind of odd they would do so only to keep the flat hubcap since wheel backdates would usually coincide with a hubcap backdate.
Also the spare tire is a very old 5.60-15 tire. Usually the spare doesn't get swapped for wheel changes, but I suppose it could have.
I can't seem to locate the date code on them. I'm finding the VW logo stamp, the circle "T" symbol stamp, and the 4jx15 stamp...but I can't locate a date code on any of them

Are those slotted wide 5's also 4jx15? Because the 66 owner's manual specifies that as the factory wheel size

Previously owned:
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Ghia - Hub Cap Help Reply with quote

I concur. Original to '66 is a black wide five rim with flat hubcap and no clips. Also there is the 10 slot dress trim that finishes off the "look".

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Ghia - Hub Cap Help Reply with quote

The farther down we go in this thread, the more correct answers appear. The '66 Ghia did indeed have a one-year only wheel for a Ghia, being 4.0" wide, the "wide 5" bolt pattern (205 mm bolt circle), no clips on the wheel, entire wheel painted satin black; and the flat hubcaps that had that indent all around the circumference. TDCTDI's photos explained those details well, and Era's side-profile hubcap comparison shots are excellent to show the differences between "flat" hubcaps.

'66 and '67 US Beetles also used the same wheel, but on Beetle SEDANS the wheel was still painted two-tone. Beetle CABRIOS built by Karmann from those 2 years had the wheels painted all black, just like the '66 Ghia wheel, because those Karmann-built models had the 10 "fat slot" beauty rings as standard equipment. Painting the wheel black instead of body color "hid" the wheel visually beyond the edges of the beauty rings. US-market Beetles went to 4-bolt wheels for the '68 model year, using the same flat hubcap as the '67 Ghia.

The first Ghia in rcooled's response (the red one) is probably a '67 because it has the 4-bolt wheels due to the front disc brakes. The flat hubcap snaps onto the outside of the center hump, not to the inside per TDCTDI's photos of the '66 Ghia wheel (incorrectly not painted all black). Also, the red Ghia's wheels would've also been painted all black originally just like the '66 Ghia because the '67 thru '69 also had the beauty rings. But those beauty rings for the 4-bolt wheel had only 8 slots in them.

rcooled's 2nd photo is of a '64 or '65 Ghia per the unique horn bar for just those years. It has "very thin slot" beauty rings which have 8 long slots which appear to be accessory ones. '64 Ghias received factory beauty rings a few months into the model year build, approx. Jan. '64. The rings have "medium slot" cooling holes, 9 or 10 of them. The wheels were smoothies (no cooling holes at all) that were painted satin black.

Some people think that the '66 Ghia wheel with those cooling holes are "Porsche 356" wheels. Big wrong. The '66 Ghia wheel's cooling holes are shaped like a "sausage", being rectangular with rounded ends. 356 wheels, either from 356 A or B; or aftermarket, are 4.5" wide and their cooling holes are shaped like a closed off sideways "D". They are also slightly more "deep dish" look than the stock VW wheels.

Type 3 also used the 4-bolt wheel in 1966 due to getting front disc brakes. The Type 3 '66 (and '67) hubcaps were 'similar" to the '68 and later Beetles but had a subtle difference in that the stamped VW emblem in the center of the hubcap stood slightly prouder than on '68+ Beetles.

Plenty of possibilities for confusion... Wink

'66 Type 2 ("Microbus") had the same hubcap as -thru '65 Ghia, but its wheels were 14" diameter and I think 5.0" wide. Type 2 did not go to the '68 Beetle flat hubcap until the '71 model year, when the wheel was changed to a small-hole diameter 5 bolt and 15".

So, Gunther- you have the correct '66 Ghia-only hubcaps but need the correct wheels. You can use '66-'67 Beetle sedan wheels and paint them satin black. If your Ghia has its spare tire, it's possible that it's still the original wheel which "should" be satin black. Alternately, you can use the domed hubcaps such as in rcooled's 2nd photo with your current wheels, along with a set of beauty rings. That combination will not by stylistically correct for '66 but will be a matched set and will make your Ghia look like a '65. Especially if you paint your current wheels satin black along with the rings.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Ghia - Hub Cap Help Reply with quote

Rome...that's golden! ... I'll add this thread to the "Essential Guides for Beginners & Experts" Sticky

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Ghia - Hub Cap Help Reply with quote

Correction…

Rome wrote:
'T66 Type 2 ("Microbus") had the same hubcap as -thru '65 Ghia, but its wheels were 14" diameter and I think 5.0" wide. Type 2 did not go to the '68 Beetle flat hubcap until the '71 model year, when the wheel was changed to a small-hole diameter 5 bolt and 14".

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: