Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ignition switch, couple questions.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Ignition switch, couple questions. Reply with quote

Last year I was doing some work on my bug. The wires on the ignition switch under the dash a couple inches off the switch must’ve gotten warm at some time. The insulation was stuck together. I hat i did was carefully pull them apart and tape carefully and accurately over the tiny sections of insulation that has come off when I separated them.

This leads to my next question. When can one find the correct thin wall socket to get the steering wheel nut off? I had to take the horn ring off and I don’t want to ever fiddle with that again if I don’t have to because of too large a socket. Those small threaded holes for the horn ring can easily be damaged.

Second, how difficult is it to change the ignition switch in a 1970 beetle? Are the switches hard to rebuild? I have an original. Is there a write up somewhere?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch, couple questions. Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
Last year I was doing some work on my bug. The wires on the ignition switch under the dash a couple inches off the switch must’ve gotten warm at some time. The insulation was stuck together.

Likely from wire to coil #15 terminal shorting out.

Frodge wrote:
This leads to my next question. When can one find the correct thin wall socket to get the steering wheel nut off? I had to take the horn ring off and I don’t want to ever fiddle with that again if I don’t have to because of too large a socket. Those small threaded holes for the horn ring can easily be damaged.

Find out the size, Google for thin wall socket.

Frodge wrote:
Second, how difficult is it to change the ignition switch in a 1970 beetle?

I replaced the electrical part of the ignition switch in both my 1970 and 1971 VWs; however that was over 3 decades ago, and I don't remember all that, but not too tough. "Fish" the wires through to the trunk area, do not use crimp-type butt connectors under the dash !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch, couple questions. Reply with quote

If you have access to a bench grinder just grind the OD using an extension to hold and rotate the socket and dunk it in water if it gets too warm.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch, couple questions. Reply with quote

Not sure you want to use a thin walled socket/ The steering wheel is torqued pretty tight and not unheard of for the previous person to have used Loctite when installing.
The horn parts were meant to be removed before attempting to remove the nut. If you try to remove the nut with the horn ring in place and you slip while breaking the nut free... you could end up damaging the horn parts.

The steering shafts up to mid-'74 used a larger 27mm socket to remove the nut. From sometime in '74 VW switched to the smaller nut that used a 24mm socket.

Here is a write up when I disassembled my '71 ignition switch.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=455734
The aftermarket switch pictured in the thread will have different internals. Just pay attention as you disassemble parts. There will be spings and ball bearings inside. Take care not to lose any parts.
Clean up the brass contact surfaces and lightly grease everything before reassembly.

Please post pics of the internal contact surfaces in your OE switch. I found that the OE Germany switches have much larger contact areas compared to the aftermarket switches, but I would like someone to post pics of the switch internals. I threw away my switch before taking pics. Sad

Here's another thread showing some pics of an OE switch. You can see a few pics that show some of the OE parts of the switch.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8403474
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch, couple questions. Reply with quote

I’m not taking apart just yet. Taping up those wires has been fine for well over a year, it might even be going on two. I’ve had the steering wheel off and didn’t have trouble getting that nut off. I did have some trouble holding the horn ring down under the spring tension and getting those little screws started. They seem pretty easy to strip out and then I’d be screwed. I don’t think you can repair the threads in the steering wheel which is why a thin walled socket would work best. I would say just don’t pull down toward the ring.

The steering wheel definitely needs to be removed to get the electrical part of the switch out?
I’m thinking that if it’s been ok for 1.5 years after I carefully insulated it, maybe it should be left being it’s original.
Thanks for all the links and help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch, couple questions. Reply with quote

If the switch fully functions and it is just the wire insulation that is the problem... cut the wires and solder a new wire in its place. Has the insulation melted all the way up to the switch terminals?

You could...
    Clip off the wires 1inch from the ignition switch.

Solder new wires of the proper gauge to the little ignition switch pigtails. Use a heatsink to prevent overheating the switch terminals. Overheating the terminals will melt the plastic parts of the switch.

Cover the exposed wires with heat shrink tubing.

Crimp female terminals to the ends of the new wires.

Route the new wires in place of the old ones.

Add an inline fuse to the #15 wire to avoid melting the insulation in the future.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch, couple questions. Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
If you have access to a bench grinder just grind the OD using an extension to hold and rotate the socket and dunk it in water if it gets too warm.

ashman40 wrote:
Not sure you want to use a thin walled socket

I ground down my 17mm socket after about 35 years, and I did break it. For the steering column nut removal, I've always done this the correct way. And that include leaving the nut on loosely as you wiggle the steering wheel towards yourself; ask your dentist why !

I've used stuff like Duco Cement to separate and insulate wires.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch, couple questions. Reply with quote

What do you mean duco cement?
1 couple inches away from the switch, the wires were “stuck” together so to speak. I carefully separated them and there were small areas on the two or three wires where the I dilation was off from pulling them apart etc. I taped each individual wire neatly and tightly over that area about 18-24 months ago and have left it so far,
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch, couple questions. Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
What do you mean duco cement?

Google it !!!!
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch, couple questions. Reply with quote

So should I take it all apart even though I had taped it up nice and neatly and glue it?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch, couple questions. Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
So should I take it all apart even though I had taped it up nice and neatly and glue it?

I wouldn't; but I might buy a new replacement to have around.

However - it's YOUR car, do what you want !!! Most plastics except polyethylene and polypropylene glue OK.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: