Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 + seatbelts
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DsplitWindowguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: 1963 + seatbelts Reply with quote

Help. I need to install seatbelts for the front seats of my 63 split. What do I do? will it work, for the driver seat and the passenger seat? I see 4 big holes in the frame-- do I use those? they see way put of place for seatbelts. HELP!!
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 + seatbelts Reply with quote

It should be a straight bolt in for front lap belts a 63-67 bus.

You may need the adaptor plugs.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=ZVW20PLUG

More info in this thread if you scroll down:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=90687&
DsplitWindowguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 + seatbelts Reply with quote

Got the seat belt plug for my 63 split.. they do not go in.. is there a trick to this???
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 + seatbelts Reply with quote

DsplitWindowguy wrote:
Got the seat belt plug for my 63 split.. they do not go in.. is there a trick to this???

Post images...
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 + seatbelts Reply with quote

Clean up the threads in the hole with a wire spark plug cleaner and try again. Run the smaller bolt (that you will use to attach the seat belt) into the plug and use the hex to help drive the plug in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DsplitWindowguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 + seatbelts Reply with quote

Thanks all. especially Anchovey.. I will get back at it soon.. pics... we shall see!!
DsplitWindowguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 + seatbelts Reply with quote

ok.. if I drive the plug in for the seatbelts.. how do you then get the bolt out to install the seatbelts? Also, on the inside plug the seatbelt is right up against the frame not allowing the seatbelt to turn and then it will not tighten I am at a loss..
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 + seatbelts Reply with quote

DsplitWindowguy wrote:
ok.. if I drive the plug in for the seatbelts.. how do you then get the bolt out to install the seatbelts? Also, on the inside plug the seatbelt is right up against the frame not allowing the seatbelt to turn and then it will not tighten I am at a loss..

You've got 2 options with your first "problem":

Option #1: Lube the threads of the small bolt that fits inside the the larger "plug" that threads into the chassis of your bus. Use either WD-40 or anti sieze or whatever you have to make that bolt thread in and out easily with little friction. Thread the small bolt into the "plug" then thread the "plug" into the chassis. Use the head of the smaller bolt to tighten the whole assembly of "plug" and small bolt into the chassis. Now, with your hand, give the wrench on the small bolt a firm whack in the opposite direction to loosen the smaller bolt from the "plug" then install it with your seat belt. The point here is that the friction of the threads around the "plug" and your chassis will be more than the friction of the smaller bolt in the "plug".

Option #2: Find two nuts that fit the smaller bolt. Double nut them on the smaller bolt and then thread them into the "plug" and then thread the "plug" with the double nutted bolt into the chassis. Break the double nuts loose and then remove the small bolt and nuts. Replace the small bolt with your seat belt assembly.

Can't help you with the "also" as I am familiar with a walk through model bus.
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 + seatbelts Reply with quote

Option #2 two above is what I do. This jam-nut operation allows you to get the plug tight and them easily remove the driver bolt.

Show some photos of what you are running up against.

Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: