Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Type 4 book
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: New Type 4 book Reply with quote

I believe it's the first Type 4 book written in English. Cool

Type 4 literature
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New Type 4 book Reply with quote

tlake wrote:
I believe it's the first Type 4 book written in English. Cool

Type 4 literature

Yes I believe so and possibly also the only one in any language..longing to get it.
Ther closest to a Type4 book so far I can remember is the one below...but it is not a pure Type4 one...

///Lars S

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
tlake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: New Type 4 book Reply with quote

Yes, there have been many Type 1, 2 and even one specific Type 3 book in English, but not one on the Type 4. A strange omission after all these years, and the general appreciation for all air cooled VWs and Porsches. It is very timely indeed. Smile
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New Type 4 book Reply with quote

Very nice! Thanks fof posting the link's!

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwrenault
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Type 4 book Reply with quote

Did my car make it in your book if not Im going to get the book after this mess. Very Happy
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: New Type 4 book Reply with quote

I'm not sure why Amazon says 2025 is the release date. Everywhere else it says "This title will be released on April 20, 2021".

https://www.veloce.co.uk/store/Volkswagen-Type-4-4...p145352683
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: New Type 4 book Reply with quote

I hope this actually gets published and released. I would buy one!

I don't think I know who the author is.

Any book on the type 4 is welcome. Other than factory photos and research and design origins....which is great because thats not easy to find...... I don't expect too much massive detail.

The type 4 cars......the issues with variations and documentation....are stranger than most of the other air cooled vw's. In that respect ...like so many other items with these cars....the variation range and speed of update of parts and mechanisms is very similar to modern vehicles.

Its not just a difference in M-code #'s from country to country. Its just that from teh first models in 1968 to the last models in 1974/early 1975....there are vast differences happening to components and sub-assemblies even in the middle of model years.

Ray

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New Type 4 book Reply with quote

I listed with them to notify me when it’s released. Price is acceptable, how the content matches our expectations.... Wink Wink
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New Type 4 book Reply with quote

ratwell wrote:
I'm not sure why Amazon says 2025 is the release date. Everywhere else it says "This title will be released on April 20, 2021".

As of last Friday, Veloce has the book in stock at their online store.

Better prices can be found through marketplace sellers at Amazon.co.uk:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Volkswagen-Type-411-412-rear-engined/dp/1787115224

Amazon US and CA have updated the released dates to July 13, 2021.

Last edited by ratwell on Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New Type 4 book Reply with quote

ratwell wrote:
ratwell wrote:

As of last Friday, Veloce has the book in stock at their online store.

Better prices can be found through marketplace sellers at Amazon.co.uk:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Volkswagen-Type-411-412-rear-engined/dp/1787115224

Amazon US and UK have updated the released dates to July 13, 2021.

I got the notice from Veloce, currently dragging my feet on ordering it since we have so much going on right now- I want it, don't really 'need' it though,,, Razz Razz
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New Type 4 book Reply with quote

Just got my copy, have not read it yet...lots of nice images at least...180 pages...looks promising! Smile

/Lars S[/img]
Hawker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: New Type 4 book Reply with quote

I have had my copy for about 1 month.

It is a very interesting read.

BR,

Rob
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: New Type 4 book Reply with quote

damn it. one of you owes me $60 now Very Happy
Releases in the US (on amazon) in July right before the bus festival. Perfect reading material for camping with my bus brethren.
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New Type 4 book Reply with quote

Just finished reading the new Type4 book and Im very satisfied with it. To me it had lots of new Type4 history information, marketing strategy aspects and so on and also lots and lots of nice pics.
This book is the only in its kind since it solely focuses on the Type4 and should have been written 30 to 40 years ago to help keeping up the intrest for our cars but better late than never - Im thankful Mr Marc Cranswick wrote it!

///Lars S
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New Type 4 book Reply with quote

I bought the book. It's a good read, at times the style of the Author is a bit wandering for my tastes, but it's not hard to follow where they're going.
Lots of great pictures, some Technical pictures that my mind was dreaming up while reading the book would have been great at times to correlate what was at the time, a very different path for VW when designing and building the Type 4 vehicles. But all in all, I'm happy I bought the book.
Cees Klumper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: New Type 4 book Reply with quote

I also bought the book and am very pleased with it. It must have been a ton of work to research and write it, and it appears very comprehensive. A great many photos also. All in all a very nice book to have with your Type 4 VW.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Type 4 book Reply with quote

I am gonna get one as well. Available in the states. Looks real good!

Bill
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: New Type 4 book Reply with quote

Got my copy and look forward to reading it. Have thumbed through it and it looks pretty comprehensive given that it is about a pretty unloved VW. I've long thought "what was VW thinking?" when it came to these cars. The 411/12 is interesting, but hoping the book may answer questions I've had such as, why only a two door for the wagon, when two door wagons were fading in popularity. Why no hatchback for the 2 or 4 door "sedans"? The Type 3 at least had two trunks in ALL versions, but the Type 4 only had this feature on the wagon. And of course the styling was pretty peculiar. But they were safe and well built-seems a missed opportunity for VW.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: New Type 4 book Reply with quote

It simply was the wrong car at the wrong time…and expensive. Water cooling was coming in and air cooling on the way out. Still, I loved them, but few people did.

Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New Type 4 book Reply with quote

chicagovw wrote:
Got my copy and look forward to reading it. Have thumbed through it and it looks pretty comprehensive given that it is about a pretty unloved VW. I've long thought "what was VW thinking?" when it came to these cars. The 411/12 is interesting, but hoping the book may answer questions I've had such as, why only a two door for the wagon, when two door wagons were fading in popularity. Why no hatchback for the 2 or 4 door "sedans"? The Type 3 at least had two trunks in ALL versions, but the Type 4 only had this feature on the wagon. And of course the styling was pretty peculiar. But they were safe and well built-seems a missed opportunity for VW.

I got my copy about 3 weeks ago and thumbed through it.....have not had a spare minute to go through it in detail.

Peperbilly said:

It simply was the wrong car at the wrong time…and expensive. Water cooling was coming in and air cooling on the way out. Still, I loved them, but few people did.

Kind of agree....but some different details.

See.....production and sales in Europe started in late 1967 or the 1968 model year. Watercooled was being worked with but not,quite on the horizon. We got these in 1971 model year. So it kind of was still being made during the peak of ACVW popularity.

From details and numerous things I have,read here and there.....the US/North American market ....was the original and eventual target for this vehicle. More space, more luxuries, more power, more speed, more power.

But.......two big killers:

1. By the mid 60s....millions of type 1 based cars and buses had been sold here. The dealer network was huge.....and the private VW mechanic was also widespread. John Muir in his 1969 idiot book was already writing qhout legendary old school VW mechanics and junkyards full of salvage wrecks. By the mid 60s....a mere 15 years afetr the first VW beetle came to the us........the private mechanics already were well versed.........on type 1 engines, manual transmissions......torsion bar suspension.....and CARBURETORS.

The private mechanics.....and dealera....already had issues with tbe D-jet injected type 3s as they became just old enough to have high miles. They were bitching and balking at type 3s with D-jet......and for a small part....automatic transmissions.

Then the type 4 cars show up.....with D-jet...and the automatic......and totally,different fromt amd rear suspension.....and totally different interior and seating parts.

The biggest complaint of the type 4 by owners.....was that it was expensive to start with....and once it got out if warranty (which was short in those days).....minor runnimg and tuning issues kept them in the shop because there were 0 books on how to work on D-jet. The dealer did no tuning.....only parts swapping.

When i got my first 411 four door....used....55k miles....in mid 1978.....parts were already scarce. There were....just in Oklauoma City in 1979 to 80.......maybe 30 type 4 cars in various yards around town. At about three locations there were 3-4 411 and 412.....that were dent free....rust free....that were parked and left for a blown engine or transmission at,100k-ish miles becauze the cost was too high to replace. These complete cars were kept around in hopes of findimg someone who wanted it and would pay for a used or new engine or trans.

Eventually they all got either hail damage or vandalized enough that they joined the parts fleet out in the yard.

But finding a dozen or so in almost driveable comdition.....in a junkyard.....only 8-10 years after production.....says volumes about the ability and attitude of the dealer and mechanics network to keep them running.

Most of it was fear of change.......BUT.....a big chunk of that dealer and private mecyanic reluctance to work on these.....could have been averted.....simply by shipping them with twin carbs.

2. The styling problem. There were two types of Americqn driver in those days.......classic "must be American iron".....sled drivers......and the trendier, wealthier, more artsy......more Eurocentric minded.

Lots of Mercedes and BMW's sold to that second crowd. They paid attention to European car trends....and bought,Euro cars when they could.

And.....VW/Audi.....could see that.....and went after that market. BUT......the European styling they chose to put on the 411 and 412......was more aligned with what Europian customers liked in 1967-68......than what North American customers liked.....in the European prpducts they were already buying.

The European market thought that the 411/412 was a handsome car. Had they s9ld more in Europe FIRST.....the US market may have been more interested after about 2-3 years of looming over the fence at,what the Euro neighbors were driving. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: