Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Subaru Engine is best for swaps in a 73 Westy
EJ25
90%
 90%  [ 10 ]
EJ22
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
EJ20
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

I agree, the 2.5 is awesome and very close from a modern car in terms of acceleration, you will be very happy with this engine, which is also very fuel efficient.
hometurbine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

I also went with a SOHC EJ251 from a 2002 Impreza. I can't comment on the performance since I'm still in the middle of the build, but decided to buy a new (not remanufactured) short block and restored my heads. Mine is a hybrid of Skills/VeeDubNut/and Annie (Deathman68) builds....getting close...
Tiernay TT10 APU gas turbine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

I went with a 2.5 from an 03 Forester that was in the family. Refreshed through skills loving hands (amazing job), and almost in the bus now. Benco transaxle is in, getting ready to mount. Harness reworked at autoventures.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

Watching with interest... Depending on what happens with my current motor. Mad

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

It's been awhile now I've had the motor (Ej2.2 SOHC) successfully mated to my bus... several oil changes later and multiple long distance trips under it's belt I can attest to it's success.

My vote at the time would of been the EJ2.2, as back then not much info on the EJ2.5 was available. But honestly even the 2.2 with the correct gearing and tire size...it's plenty.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
Merling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

I don't have enough experience to post an opinion but I'm working on a 70 bus that had a 2.2L conversion from a 93 legacy. The 2.2 is supposed to be extremely reliable and mine was running prior to tear down and no issues from a leak down test. Anyone know what the parts market is like for the 2.2? That will help me decide if I go with what I have or decide to find a 2.5 donor.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

Convoy wrote:
It's been awhile now I've had the motor (Ej2.2 SOHC) successfully mated to my bus... several oil changes later and multiple long distance trips under it's belt I can attest to it's success.

My vote at the time would of been the EJ2.2, as back then not much info on the EJ2.5 was available. But honestly even the 2.2 with the correct gearing and tire size...it's plenty.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
Damn! That’s pretty!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

Merling wrote:
I don't have enough experience to post an opinion but I'm working on a 70 bus that had a 2.2L conversion from a 93 legacy. The 2.2 is supposed to be extremely reliable and mine was running prior to tear down and no issues from a leak down test. Anyone know what the parts market is like for the 2.2? That will help me decide if I go with what I have or decide to find a 2.5 donor.

2.2's are getting scarce at least here in the north east. 2.5's still a dime a dozen.

a 2.5 has a lot less going on in terms of goofy early jap emissions shit, such as vacuum hoses and whatnot.

had i not based my 70 build on a 2.2 frankenmotor i'd have gone with a 2.5 hands down. way cleaner install imho

since my 2.2 i have not installed one ever again. all 2.5's here

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Vee Dub Nut wrote:

I'm at almost 3 years in now, >12k miles, zero issues.

At only 4,000 miles a year, it hardly seems worthy of a swap, much less bragging about its dependability.

Wow.. real helpful reply there buddy! Typical Samba... Rolling Eyes

Never claimed it was some sort of mileage record, and wasn't "bragging about dependability", just sharing my experience for the OP who asked for engine suggestions. I've got 4 different vehicles I split my driving between, and the VW's are just used for fun, not daily duties.

All that said, in my apparently un-worthy of being mentioned 3 years and 12k miles, I've touched nothing on the engine itself beyond oil changes. Seems like things are going pretty well.

I've driven my swapped Bus further, faster, and more frequently with less stress than any air-cooled Bus I've owned before it. Its being used for exactly what I built if for. Seems pretty "worthy" for swapping to me.

Good luck with your TDI swap!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Musicman811
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Which Subaru to Swap? Opinions Reply with quote

I need to replace my shocks - and I am doing a Subi Swap - what are some good shocks? Should I upgrade?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: