Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'59 Karmann Ghia fever
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 263, 264, 265 ... 356, 357, 358  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Vladiiiii wrote:
First torque to spec, then torque until you can put the cotter pin in.
If it's only a very short way backwards, maybe that would be fine. But middle way through? Tighty tighty Razz

Vlad

Was hoping this would be the case— thanks Vlad!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

There’s another hole in the axle 90° away, and six slots in the castellated nut, if you’re just over on one axle hole, you’ll be close on the other.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
There’s another hole in the axle 90° away, and six slots in the castellated nut, if you’re just over on one axle hole, you’ll be close on the other.

Oh! Thanks TD!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Oh! Thanks TD!

It’s always better to tighten to the next cotter pin hole. I’ve never heard an issue with the axle nut being too tight, until it’s time to remove😳

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Trylon wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Oh! Thanks TD!

It’s always better to tighten to the next cotter pin hole. I’ve never heard an issue with the axle nut being too tight, until it’s time to remove😳

Gotta be better than clunking!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The aussie Trimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
That dash pad is a work of industrial art.

Yes, very happy we decided to go with it!
Still seems like it needs to scooch in about 1/4 inch. The vent holes are not lined up fully and the speaker grill does not settle down fully. Waiting until we solve that to put in the grab handle. I’m thinking a little liquid soap and a nylon pry to push up the rubber and get it under?

Hey Michael, try removing the speaker grill and make sure the bolts line up with the metal dash; then using a heat gun (very carefully checking the vinyl is relaxing) or hair dryer to heat up the vinyl. Cut a blank grill out of ply wood and once the vinyl has soften enough put the ply in the speaker hole and gently push it down into the speaker hole so it sits level with the dash (if not give it some more heat and repeat) then replace the speaker grill and screw it down, this should fix the level problem.
Kev
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Nicely done driving video! I've been at nearly all of those spots in the last 40 years, other than the road with the arched bridge overpass... but that's probably near Falls Village. At the eastern end of the first covered bridge in West Cornwall, the Connecticut VW Association had a foliage tour in the early 00's where the group stopped on the east side of the Housatonic River. Then continued south on Rt 7 and had its next stop at Kent Falls which was on your route but did not stop "this time". I'm glad you made it through the 2nd covered bridge- Bulls Bridge- south of Kent right off Rt 7 on that drive. I have a photo in my gallery where I drove through it in my Beetle a few years ago. You probably know that if you'd go straight at that light instead of turning right (south) onto Rt 7, you can weave your way east to the western end of Lake Waramaug (the lake at the beginning of your video), or into New Preston again.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Once you get the nut tight, keep an eye on it & check torque regularly, once they’ve been driven on loose, they have a nasty tendency to keep working loose.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Like old times:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Torqued and re-pinned both axle nuts. The other one was already torqued correctly. And to be fair, only the loose one was making any noise. Funny how I did not notice the other hole options in the axle. Clearly, I originally loosened the nut to fit the pin and have paid the price.

1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on

Last edited by Trylon on Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

The aussie Trimmer wrote:
Trylon wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
That dash pad is a work of industrial art.

Yes, very happy we decided to go with it!
Still seems like it needs to scooch in about 1/4 inch. The vent holes are not lined up fully and the speaker grill does not settle down fully. Waiting until we solve that to put in the grab handle. I’m thinking a little liquid soap and a nylon pry to push up the rubber and get it under?

Hey Michael, try removing the speaker grill and make sure the bolts line up with the metal dash; then using a heat gun (very carefully checking the vinyl is relaxing) or hair dryer to heat up the vinyl. Cut a blank grill out of ply wood and once the vinyl has soften enough put the ply in the speaker hole and gently push it down into the speaker hole so it sits level with the dash (if not give it some more heat and repeat) then replace the speaker grill and screw it down, this should fix the level problem.
Kev

Thanks for the input Kev!
I think the real problem facing us is that the whole pad sits about 1/4 of an inch out further than it should. The whole pad clearly needs to get under the windshield seal a bit so I am hoping it might be coaxed with a bit of lubricant and careful prying. I think the radio grill might sit better as well when this happens.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Nicely done driving video! I've been at nearly all of those spots in the last 40 years, other than the road with the arched bridge overpass... but that's probably near Falls Village. At the eastern end of the first covered bridge in West Cornwall, the Connecticut VW Association had a foliage tour in the early 00's where the group stopped on the east side of the Housatonic River. Then continued south on Rt 7 and had its next stop at Kent Falls which was on your route but did not stop "this time". I'm glad you made it through the 2nd covered bridge- Bulls Bridge- south of Kent right off Rt 7 on that drive. I have a photo in my gallery where I drove through it in my Beetle a few years ago. You probably know that if you'd go straight at that light instead of turning right (south) onto Rt 7, you can weave your way east to the western end of Lake Waramaug (the lake at the beginning of your video), or into New Preston again.

Thanks Rome! Now that you mention it, I never knew where the road across from Bulls Bridge led. That would have been a better direction and end.

Regarding the arched bridge— I have (and imagine you have) crossed over it innumerable times without knowing what exactly was supporting me! It is the bridge for which Cornwall Bridge is named (not the covered bridge in West Cornwall as I had always assumed). The bridge spans the Housatonic where Routes 4 and 7 overlap. This was the first time I ever saw it from underneath!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on

Last edited by Trylon on Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Once you get the nut tight, keep an eye on it & check torque regularly, once they’ve been driven on loose, they have a nasty tendency to keep working loose.

Interesting— how does a pinned nut loosen? Is it sufficient to wait until I hear it again?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Basically, the machined flat surfaces are no longer flat & the splined area in the drums becomes wallowed ever so slightly, this in turn gives enough slip that the drum shifts, a bit at a time, with each revolution. This in turn grinds away at the contact surfaces & eventually loosens up. You will see rusty dust.

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, the machined flat surfaces are no longer flat & the splined area in the drums becomes wallowed ever so slightly, this in turn gives enough slip that the drum shifts, a bit at a time, with each revolution. This in turn grinds away at the contact surfaces & eventually loosens up. You will see rusty dust.

Ah, wear on the inside. Didn’t drive terrible long or far like this and only heard anything quite recently. That working for us?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Only those steeped in Karmann Ghia Fever lore will know why there is a little useless hole on the side of the brake drum…

1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Only those steeped in Karmann Ghia Fever lore will know why there is a little useless hole on the side of the brake drum…

Drain hole for the oil slinger... I just had to drill one in a drum for my '57 Beetle.
d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Redlabel6 wrote:
Trylon wrote:

Drain hole for the oil slinger... I just had to drill one in a drum for my '57 Beetle.
d

We have a winner!
Only mine is useless because, although there is supposed to be an oil slinger, the rear has been swapped out and no longer uses that style.
As I type this I realize that I only barely know what I am talking about— anybody recall what’s really going on?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Adjusted the valves. Well, Alex checked them and they were all fine. So put the wheels back on and had a little adventure today.

Kool Kats in Karmann Ghia’s Gettin’ Koffee.

Klunks gone! So loose axle nut was the culprit.

But, right after this picture, our car wouldn’t start.
None of your were there so I was on my own.
I seem to have a similar problem restarting after a short park. I try to start it and only hold the ignition on for the same amount I would for cold starting. Quite short.
It seems that this is too short for a warm start (harkens back to our warm start problems of yore). Typically, another try or two with pumping accelerator starts it — but not this time. Tried many times and though strong engine turn over, no start was to be had. Went back and checked if we had done something untoward but that seemed unlikely as we had gotten this far. I remembered that Alex had a bit of trouble snapping on the distributor cap so removed and redid. Nothing.
In the back of my mind the vague idea of “flooded carburetor” kept arising. Perhaps my pumping the accelerator pedal had caused such a thing to happen. As I am not very clear what this is and what causes and what to do about, I googled it (luckily I had bars). Found that it is more vapor lock than flooding and was informed to hold the accelerator pedal to the floor and turn the engine over no more than five seconds at a time.
I followed the instructions, and to my (and Alex’s) amazement, up it started. As we had visions of tow trucks dancing in our heads, we cautiously drove about the parking lot a bit before taking to the road home.
We made it without further incident but I realize I need to know more about what went wrong and how what I did fixed it.

In any case, got beans for cold brew— gonna brew it up right now!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Always remember, warm/hot engine, or warm/hot outside?
Slowly floor the gas, then turn the key while keeping it pinned. When it starts coughing into life, let go of the pedal.

Having the original fuel pump in the engine bay makes it vapour lock easier than say an electric fuel pump under the tank. (because there is less gas in the hot engine compartment).

How did I learn the above? I had my wife push me after my first ever aircooled drive, because I didn't know how to properly start a hot engine and flooded the carb Embarassed Only then I read the exact description in the manual Shocked
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Karmann Ghia fever Reply with quote

Vladiiiii wrote:
Always remember, warm/hot engine, or warm/hot outside?
Slowly floor the gas, then turn the key while keeping it pinned. When it starts coughing into life, let go of the pedal.

Having the original fuel pump in the engine bay makes it vapour lock easier than say an electric fuel pump under the tank. (because there is less gas in the hot engine compartment).

How did I learn the above? I had my wife push me after my first ever aircooled drive, because I didn't know how to properly start a hot engine and flooded the carb Embarassed Only then I read the exact description in the manual Shocked

Huh! Well that info is gold Vlad.
Thanks!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 263, 264, 265 ... 356, 357, 358  Next
Jump to:
Page 264 of 358

Jump to: