Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New engine and exhaust...overheating?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: New engine and exhaust...overheating? Reply with quote

Wxman2000 wrote:
I’m still in the breakin period. They told me first oil change and valve adjust once I hit 500 miles. So far I’ve put about 300 on it. That was once concern I had, was it running hot due to it breaking in? Is that a normal thing?

Thanks for the advice on wrapping around some of the exhaust areas if needed.

How did you drive the car during the first 30 miles or so? Did you drive it “Like you stole it” under different load conditions or did you baby it along flat stretches of highway. Trying to get an idea of your break in technique.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Wxman2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: New engine and exhaust...overheating? Reply with quote

On the advice of the shop, I drove it how I normally would. Which in my case, probably closer to babying it than driving like I stole it. Typically slow-moderate acceleration and hang right at the speed limit wherever I happen to be. Shift out of 2nd around 30, out of 3rd at 45 or 50 if I’m going up an incline.

Gas is too expensive lately to drive it hard!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: New engine and exhaust...overheating? Reply with quote

Random observations and thoughts that may or may not be related to your current situation.

Is your heat riser fully attached? Any gaps around them. Could just be the small picture on my phone.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Did your builder install the cylinder head tin?

What brand of heads did the builder use? Some heads have cast flashing issues that can hinder cooling unless they are cleaned up.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: New engine and exhaust...overheating? Reply with quote

You kind of want to drive it more like you stole it, to help seat everything. Lugging the engine, long pulls up hill. Don't drive it at one rpm for too long like on the highway. Others will differ with their break-in procedures. You definitely generate more heat during the initial 500 miles due to all the metal on metal contact of the parts seating themselves. Keep an eye on your oil color too. When it gets dark, or Gray, or has lots of shinny metal flakes to it, good time to change it early on.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wxman2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: New engine and exhaust...overheating? Reply with quote

From what I’ve looked at, all engine time is in place like it should. There is a small gap around both heat risers where things don’t quite line up like they should. A triangular shaped gap about 1” by 2” but it isn’t open for that whole size of a triangle. Probably about 50% of that area is an actual gap. Would that be enough to cause problems? On my old engine I had filled in all gaps like that with foil tape, but hadn’t thought about that with the new engine since it looks all purdy without any tape in there.

I’ll start driving like a madman later today I guess!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: New engine and exhaust...overheating? Reply with quote

Wxman2000 wrote:
From what I’ve looked at, all engine time is in place like it should. There is a small gap around both heat risers where things don’t quite line up like they should. A triangular shaped gap about 1” by 2” but it isn’t open for that whole size of a triangle. Probably about 50% of that area is an actual gap. Would that be enough to cause problems? On my old engine I had filled in all gaps like that with foil tape, but hadn’t thought about that with the new engine since it looks all purdy without any tape in there.

IMO, I don’t think the heat riser gap or cylinder tin is a major contributor to your issue. Sometimes all the little things add up.

I was curious how much heat might be coming through the heat riser gap. Those aftermarket heat risers frequently need some massaging to fit correctly.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: New engine and exhaust...overheating? Reply with quote

Still curious about what fan was used.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...5c43d1a258

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Wxman2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: New engine and exhaust...overheating? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Still curious about what fan was used.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...5c43d1a258

From what I can tell looking at it and the part number on the invoice, it is 113119031B that Jbugs sells:

https://www.jbugs.com/product/113119031B.html
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine and exhaust...overheating? Reply with quote

Wxman2000 wrote:

You're missing the heat riser covers

they mate to the correct rear breast plate tin, which you don't have

those areas let in quite a bit of heat coming off the primaries which is why VW went to the trouble of making those insulated block off plates!
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wxman2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine and exhaust...overheating? Reply with quote

So I got back from the shop that installed the engine and here’s where we ended up. Long story short, they think my oil dipstick is probably wrong. Sounds like they quit selling them years ago due to too many issues. They checked my car with one of the laser temp gauges in several spots and all the temps looked normal…this was after pulling in with the dash light on regarding my sensor.

Since it’s driving fine and not acting like it’s running hot, they think there’s nothing to worry about

Regarding the doghouse they installed, I looked at another one they had and it does have the ductwork and vanes inside of it. My pulley is also full stock size, it seems I measured wrong when checking it.

So I’m guessing it’s nothing to worry over after talking with them who didn’t seem concerned at all with the temp readings they weee getting from their device.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine and exhaust...overheating? Reply with quote

Check the valve clearance, the valve clearance will tend to tighten up as the valves and valve train seat in and if the valves don't have good contact with the valve seat they will get hot raising head temp and oil temp.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine and exhaust...overheating? Reply with quote

Did the shop build the engine?

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine and exhaust...overheating? Reply with quote

New engines do run somewhat hotter.
I wonder what the jetting of that 34 pict is? If 127.5 or even 130, it may be running a little lean.

They will run quite hot when lean.

2 degrees more or less in timing won't change your temperature by much, if at all.

-Frank
Wxman2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine and exhaust...overheating? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Check the valve clearance, the valve clearance will tend to tighten up as the valves and valve train seat in and if the valves don't have good contact with the valve seat they will get hot raising head temp and oil temp.

I'm set to do the valves when I hit 500 miles...just over 300 of the way there.
Wxman2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine and exhaust...overheating? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Did the shop build the engine?

It was one they had as a longblock, but they finished out all the accessories and the install. Not sure exactly who made the longblock.
Wxman2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine and exhaust...overheating? Reply with quote

Frank Bassman wrote:
New engines do run somewhat hotter.
I wonder what the jetting of that 34 pict is? If 127.5 or even 130, it may be running a little lean.

They will run quite hot when lean.

2 degrees more or less in timing won't change your temperature by much, if at all.

-Frank

They said they have it jetted for the elevation we're at (about 5000'). I've had rich and lean running engines before, and from what I can tell driving it, it seems to be about where it should be, but I'll know for sure in another couple hundred miles when I do the valves. At that time, I'll pull the plugs and look them over too.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine and exhaust...overheating? Reply with quote

I’ve seen them run hot because the tar board blocks air intake. If this was already mentioned excuse me.
Wxman2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine and exhaust...overheating? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I’ve seen them run hot because the tar board blocks air intake. If this was already mentioned excuse me.

That's one thing I checked over to make sure there wasn't anything restricting the airflow.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine and exhaust...overheating? Reply with quote

Love the speculation and the questions! Good stuff!

Now, let’s get down to business. What is the compression ratio? That is the BIG ? High compression, due to slapping stuff together, without measuring stuff, makes for some high head temps! What are the builders notes? Very interested in what the target compression ratio was.

Besides that, you can try richening up the base idle mixture a 1/4 turn and see if that offsets the heat being generated. A lean combustion chamber makes for high heat! Fattening up the mixture will offset that a tiny amount. Maybe enough to get you in the safe zone.

10- 30, in my opinion is asking for it. I would get some straight 30w in there unless the builder has a warranty. That thinner viscosity oil may be playing tricks with the pressure relief pistons. Been down that road a few times.

Bottom line is take it back to the builder and make them sort it out!

FWIW. That aftermarket shroud SUCKS! Get something with internal vanes and a thermostat. On my 2127, I took an Empi 36 hp shroud, added vanes that mimicked the stock shoes and added flaps and a thermostat. My temps are super low, TOO LOW!

My $.02

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: