Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Road trips over 1000 miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trips over 1000 miles Reply with quote

^^^ I was looking through a 15 year old motorcycle magazine this afternoon, and there was a photo of that place with a few bikes out front. Strange coincidence to see it here, too.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trips over 1000 miles Reply with quote

'64cal lookdub wrote:
Lind wrote:

McDermitt, Nevada
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks like a blast, the mango photo you took is one of my favorites as well.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Road trips over 1000 miles Reply with quote

Nice photos of your trip, Lind. We are in the middle of a trip across Canada. Cool at times.

RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Road trips over 1000 miles Reply with quote

Peeking over from the baywindow side......

I love driving my bus as much as anything but after a couple hours the seating position starts to get VERY uncomfortable. My back and shoulders really start to hurt. How do you folks deal with this on these super long trips? Just deal with it?
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Road trips over 1000 miles Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:

I love driving my bus as much as anything but after a couple hours the seating position starts to get VERY uncomfortable. My back and shoulders really start to hurt. How do you folks deal with this on these super long trips? Just deal with it?

I usually stop for a photo op or gas every hour or so and move around a bit. When I need to make time, I go for two or three hours at a stretch. The buses are not super comfortable, but I think that the springing of the split bus seat helps smooth out shocks from bumps in the road. The bays have less spring bounce in the seat, and vanagons have no springs in the seats, although they do ride smoother to begin with. I'm 6'2", so I have to hunch over the steering wheel a bit in my normal driving position. When I straighten my back, the top of the windshield dips below the horizon. The real fun one, is an early walkthrough. The steering wheel is not centered on the seat. I sit centered on the seat looking forward with an offset steering wheel and my arms angling to the right. Some folks can't handle driving like that.

The longest pull that I have done in a split bus was 900 miles in 16 hours. My back hurt after that for a day or so, but not terrible.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Road trips over 1000 miles Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:

I'm the opposite of you I guess. I can sit behind the wheel of a Split / Bay / Vanagon for hours on end. I'll go 18 hours, only stopping for gas. The 'leaning-forward-with-forearms-on-the-wheel' position is so comfortable to me.

Diving my Tiguan or Golf more than a couple hours- now that kills my body.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Road trips over 1000 miles Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
RalphWiggam wrote:

I'm the opposite of you I guess. I can sit behind the wheel of a Split / Bay / Vanagon for hours on end. I'll go 18 hours, only stopping for gas. The 'leaning-forward-with-forearms-on-the-wheel' position is so comfortable to me.

Diving my Tiguan or Golf more than a couple hours- now that kills my body.

Interesting. I have had a similar experience as Lind on long trips, though I am several inches shorter so I don't need to hunch under the windshield top.

I have found that stock seats in a late split walk through bus are the most comfy for me. Early bay seating is OK, too.

Great photos, Lind. That new drivetrain makes the Sudfunk much less tractor-like I am sure.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Road trips over 1000 miles Reply with quote

Lind thanks for sharing your bus with us, infact several times this past year..it is quite an impressive relic..and not a "trailer a trailer queen".
I drawing came to mind, when you mentioned your driving a bus that distants, once again thank you.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Culito

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trips over 1000 miles Reply with quote

A few years ago me and a few bus friends took a trip from central MO to Colorado - tooled around Colorado Springs, did the Pike's Peak thing, camped up in the mountains at Jefferson Lake, came back into Denver and went to a show at Red Rocks. It was the first time I have done any long distance driving in a bus and also was the first time I had this bus on the highway for any substantial length of time after I got it running. Easily over 2000 miles round trip..

Somewhere in Kansas:

Camping outside CO Springs:

Heading up into the mountains:

Halfway up Pike's Peak:

Bristol Brewing:

Along I-70, almost made it back home (but we don't have to talk about that):

We had a lot of adventures but these were the only pics I have handy.
I really want to do the Jerome AZ show in 2022. That's 1300 miles one way!
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trips over 1000 miles Reply with quote

If we are counting roundtrip being 1000 miles, I've done that a few times.
From Birmingham to Charlotte and then Farmington and back was a bit over 1,000 miles.
This was taken by Andrew somewhere on I-85 in either SC or NC

I've driven every Bus I've owned to the Tampa Bay area for Bulli Brigade. My current Bus has been two or three times. That's usually around 1400-1500 miles for the trip. These are from 2018 when I drove down with my friend Daniel in the blue '67 13 window

My dad (right) and I (left) along the way somewhere. Photo is reversed, I was driving.

The coverage in Hot VWs, my Bus is 5th from right on the top row., my buddy's '67 beside me.

The last out of town trip I took in the Bus was to New Orleans in late 2019, 700+ miles roundtrip and the looks on my coworkers faces when they found out I was driving my Bus Laughing

I'd like to possibly drive to MO to BNNTA next year. That'd be a 1300-1400 mile round trip.
I'd also like to go to Lake Havasu one year. I don't doubt my Bus would make it. It's just the time off and the cash to go that's been the issue.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trips over 1000 miles Reply with quote

Now 2000 miles into this trip, having reached British Columbia. Too bad the rain is making it difficult to photograph mountain scenes.

Here we are snuggled into the RV parking in Bow Island.

Bus shadows in the morning
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trips over 1000 miles Reply with quote

If you get close to Victoria at all and you need anything shoot me an email Smile
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trips over 1000 miles Reply with quote

3000 miles in and about to turn around. Bus is running well. Did five mountain passes today along Highway 3 in BC. The bothersome noise turned out to be tire wear.

Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Road trips over 1000 miles Reply with quote

Don66bus wrote:
3000 miles in and about to turn around. Bus is running well. Did five mountain passes today along Highway 3 in BC. The bothersome noise turned out to be tire wear.

Truly awesome. I am sure your bus likes the road as much as you like the scenery.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Road trips over 1000 miles Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
...an early walkthrough. The steering wheel is not centered on the seat. I sit centered on the seat looking forward with an offset steering wheel and my arms angling to the right. Some folks can't handle driving like that.

I had a friend that sold a bullet walkthrough kombi because of that. short round guy - he spent a lot of money and hated it once he drove it. I prefer a bench early and a walkthrough late split

Once on a different friends bus we did a small steering box raise where we didn't shorten the shaft. It was incredibly more comfortable for me to drive, but 5'10 not 6'2 that does make a big difference
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trips over 1000 miles Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Lind wrote:
...an early walkthrough. The steering wheel is not centered on the seat. I sit centered on the seat looking forward with an offset steering wheel and my arms angling to the right. Some folks can't handle driving like that.

I had a friend that sold a bullet walkthrough kombi because of that. short round guy - he spent a lot of money and hated it once he drove it. I prefer a bench early and a walkthrough late split

Once on a different friends bus we did a small steering box raise where we didn't shorten the shaft. It was incredibly more comfortable for me to drive, but 5'10 not 6'2 that does make a big difference

Yup, I find that early w/t seat really uncomfortable. I took a long road trip in a 61 w/t bus, once, and that set up really is less than ideal, whether you are in the drivers seat, or in the passenger seat squished again the door. It is worse for the driver, IMO.
Really, I didn't tip the bus on its side cause I hated it, it was the ice on the road that caused the lack of traction and the skid...

When I've found an early w/t I have had no desire to keep it, whether it's a 59 panel, a mango bus, or a '58 15 window deluxe.
Before you get offended, or evangelical, remember that means more w/ts for you! Laughing Laughing

The late w/t is the same for the driver as a bench seat bus, but the passenger still gets squished against the door, and there is less storage in the bus. I had a w/t 67 for a few years, and the spare tire was sort of in the way.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trips over 1000 miles Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Erik G wrote:
Lind wrote:
Yup, I find that early w/t seat really uncomfortable. I took a long road trip in a 61 w/t bus, once, and that set up really is less than ideal, whether you are in the drivers seat, or in the passenger seat squished again the door. It is worse for the driver, IMO.
Really, I didn't tip the bus on its side cause I hated it, it was the ice on the road that caused the lack of traction and the skid...

When I've found an early w/t I have had no desire to keep it, whether it's a 59 panel, a mango bus, or a '58 15 window deluxe.
Before you get offended, or evangelical, remember that means more w/ts for you! Laughing Laughing

The late w/t is the same for the driver as a bench seat bus, but the passenger still gets squished against the door, and there is less storage in the bus. I had a w/t 67 for a few years, and the spare tire was sort of in the way.
even with the downsides to walkthroughs, I still love them, and I have owned every different type of production walkthrough that the factory ever made through '91. That said, I hardly ever walk through to the back of the bus. It is a great place to put a cooler between the seats. The bench seat is generally more comfortable, especially for the passenger. The barndoor walkthrough passenger seat is a total joke, and pretty much unusable.
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trips over 1000 miles Reply with quote

Nova Scotia trip July 2022

Took the bus down to Canso, Nova Scotia for the Stan Rogers folk festival. At one campsite, we had four generations of VW buses represented. At a stop for a coffee coming home, I was offered $25,000 cash for bus right then. I wasn't interested in selling. The prospective buyer rebuilds Westfalias for a living, not that my Deluxe has that lineage.

So, about 2000 miles of flawless running and lots of smiles. One four year old running up enthusiastically in a campsite, yelling "Fillmore!".

I was using the screen in the back hatch. If anyone knows how to make that work around the door hinges, let me know. Mosquitos found their way through those gaps.

New Brunswick seaside

Waiting for the free ferry

Tiny bus among the behemoths

Obligatory post-trip bug splatter shot
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Road trips over 1000 miles Reply with quote

Here is a shot of the back hatch screen. The hatch hinges create openings for mosquitos. Does anyone have a better solution than dish towels and wash cloths?

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Road trips over 1000 miles Reply with quote

Don66bus wrote:
Does anyone have a better solution than dish towels and wash cloths?

Here's how I did mine. I made my own. Not sure how yours attaches but I copied mine from a Bay one.

Snap on both sides in original cover holes but then moved the outer one farther as it was too tight to sometimes lower the hatch.

Then this cover flap helps take up some random access and allows the hatch to be sometimes lowered.

Here's that hatch area with snaps in place.

I still use little pieces of toilet paper wads in the tiny holey mosquito access points. Then I turn on the overhead light and smoosh any mosquitos inside. Then turn the light off and listen till sleep.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: