Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Are there any good images out there of the stuff on the side of the assembly line waiting to be installed? Either as the focal point or off to the side but close enough to see. The stacks of whatever is next to go on the vehicle.

The guy in the engine compartment for instance you can see the seats in the background pretty well.

Maybe more if you go back through all the pages in this thread?
Search on factory in "Vintage Pictures/Postcards" in the Gallery too.
Maybe other sections too but that's a common word so a lot of photos if you search All categories.

I have definitely seen some other Bus production photos with seats and bumpers off to the side.

Here's a few I dug up from the Gallery really quick:
Bumpers
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Front ends

Barndoor engines and transmissions

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

going for a dip...

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

here's some parts at the side

Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

I like to think that this is a pic of my bus getting it's headlight installed, while my friend, Mark's bus is up high, having had it's engine recently installed. Chances are about 1/4000 for each one being that exact bus.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

finster wrote:
here's some parts at the side

Some precision engineering going on there with the bed slat installation. Each fixing lined up with micrometer accuracy Laughing

Any idea of the date of that pic? Looks like a mixture of US-spec bullet indicator and Euro-spec no indicators. Can't see any engine lids to spot whether they have centre brake lights though.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

Heinz Nordhoff
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
hazetguy wrote:

I'm looking at those holders for the engines and can't figure out how they are supporting the engine weight. Is it bolted to a single case bolt behind the shroud?

looking at these photos, clearly there were thousands of these hangers. where are they now? what are they called? why no tool listing for them? my kids will be leaving home soon and ill be an old man lifting engines on and off the engine stand, i need one or two of these things. I could try to make one from the pics, but if they are out there........ thoughts?
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

I think that way too, I have a huge VW Special Tool collection, and in all my years (other than in factory photos) I have never seen one available or in the many European swap meets I've attended...

So who is holding out on us? Hans? Dieter? Gretchen?

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

i too have never seen any drawing "for local tool manufacture" for those engine hangars either. Somebody needs to get on that - doesn't look that complicated. Not sure exactly what the engine hangar attaches to- hard to tell from pic
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navydave73 wrote:
EverettB wrote:
hazetguy wrote:

I'm looking at those holders for the engines and can't figure out how they are supporting the engine weight. Is it bolted to a single case bolt behind the shroud?

looking at these photos, clearly there were thousands of these hangers. where are they now? what are they called? why no tool listing for them? my kids will be leaving home soon and ill be an old man lifting engines on and off the engine stand, i need one or two of these things. I could try to make one from the pics, but if they are out there........ thoughts?

I'm sure that I've seen pictures in either this thread, or the barndoor or split beetle vintage pictures threads, of a factory tour that shows the visitors with engines in the foreground. The brackets are more clearly visible.

I could only find this picture in the split beetle vintage pictures thread from a couple of years ago though. It shows the clamp from the front.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9069182#9069182

Edit - found it. It was in this tread Laughing

aerosilver wrote:

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

Interesting that some of the brackets are straight and others have that "jog" which seems to step out from the fan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

I’ll give it a shot at making one. Any pics of the hook at the front of the engine? Or is it a hole with a clevis pin or shackle?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

Navydave73 wrote:
I’ll give it a shot at making one. Any pics of the hook at the front of the engine? Or is it a hole with a clevis pin or shackle?

The original discussion is here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3471779#3471779 , no pic of the end of the hook, but I suspect it's a partial J shape, just enough to stab into the hole quickly and keep things moving along. It could even be a z of sorts on the end, a jog with the free end pointing down, that would go in the hole from sideways easily and stay in when vertical. Like the bend on the rod below but with a shorter free end:

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

I use a homemade/my version of this for swinging and loading engines. There's pics of it in one of these threads, this has been discussed before. Works great!
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

Is the pad that lifts the rear engine weight lifting by the lip on the cooling shroud?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Is the pad that lifts the rear engine weight lifting by the lip on the cooling shroud?

Looks like that side is just pressure against the shroud. The hook is doing the lift, the pad against the shroud keeps it level.
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

somebody has to have one of these, they cant all have been scrapped. i have an OG engine stand and crankshaft mount, they made it.....im sure someone has one of these damn things.
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

I agree that some must exist somewhere, but workshop tools that were distributed to dealers, etc. are completely different than factory assembly line fixtures. Although useful to move a complete engine around, it wouldn’t have any use for somebody trying to pull an engine, fix it, and re-install it…
I doubt any would get exported for that reason, and probably why we never see them or the plans to build them in the Tools For Local Manufacture documents.
AC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly line/ Factory Bus pics? Reply with quote

These are some great pictures of the history of the VW Bus. I think this piece I have may fit into this category. This looks to be a hand warmer that the men on the assembly line used to warm there hands. Back in the early 90's when my brother bought his 1956 DD Panel he wanted to give it a thorough cleaning. So we started at the front, we pulled the seat and went to work. He was pulling out trash from the tool compartment and pulled this out. Looks German to me but not sure. I have never seen this before and hope maybe someone may know. Thanks for any help, Albert

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 19

Jump to: