Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ELO78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

Bummer. Sorry about that.
Eurovankris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

Yaas!! We need clock spring for our 2002 Eurovan too sadly. Good source for re-manufacturing parts, before Covid, was BBA-reman. They are a year out now! Please be on the lookout for the part #7D0959654 for us, as we are dead in the water! Thanks everyone.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

This is a pretty critical part, so... I'm noting that some related and useful repair + prevention information is here. (I went ahead and also saved a copy of that page locally just now, so I'll have it for future reference.)

Found via this Samba post, which is also informative and interesting:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=646985
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

I think I have one that just has a bad abs connection. Will throw an abs light but worked otherwise if it’s got your van dead in the water.
3gg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

Anyone thought about reverse engineering one of these? I had to solder my ribbon cable back together after a bad install job, but it seems that 1k a piece on ebay might get someone with the know how to start thinking of alternatives.. what a bummer no one makes them anymore! I wonder if parts manufacturers out there would be interested in knowing that this part is extinct, and might be able to make some money off making new? just some thoughts and rants.. I'd love to keep my 2003 Eurovan GLS, but when I can't find parts, it becomes somewhat of a rash!
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

It seems worn traces can be repaired fairly easily with soldered jumper wires

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the repair in Russian:
https://www.drive2.ru/l/529986870772236348/?fbclid...W6ROkgw-bc
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

Itsamoto wrote:

Yes - the unit failed internally. I was chasing codes and such as well - finally I had to open it up to see if I could fix it myself (I can't). Board level failure - traces rubbed off.

If I figure out a fix/replacement -- then (@D-9) I'd be willing to swap it for a power-equipped side view mirror (RHD version).

Have you considered repairing that circuit board by soldering new wires on to replace the worn off traces? You'd use wire wrap wire, and solder directly to part pins or vias. If you don't have the skill, find someone who can. This is a pretty simple repair for someone skilled in PCB repair.
rizzag
Now Wut?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

Does the clock spring usually fail based on age? Or usage (mileage)?
rjlatherow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

Following this also - I had a small windshield gasket leak right onto the steering wheel (DOH!) and now I have a 'dead spot'- the van is perfect unless making a gentle right turn. If you do make a gentle right turn, lights flash, you loose power, ABS and ESP turn off, etc. Sometimes my on-ramp path looks like an octagon just to avoid long gentle curves.

Is disassembly fairly straightforward?

-rj
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

TheOneTrueQuux wrote:
Itsamoto wrote:

Yes - the unit failed internally. I was chasing codes and such as well - finally I had to open it up to see if I could fix it myself (I can't). Board level failure - traces rubbed off.

If I figure out a fix/replacement -- then (@D-9) I'd be willing to swap it for a power-equipped side view mirror (RHD version).

Have you considered repairing that circuit board by soldering new wires on to replace the worn off traces? You'd use wire wrap wire, and solder directly to part pins or vias. If you don't have the skill, find someone who can. This is a pretty simple repair for someone skilled in PCB repair.

Got a picture of a undamaged circuit board? Hard to tell where wires go when to many circuit are rubbed off.
rjlatherow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Replacement Clock Spring Source Reply with quote

I will take one. I took mine apart and cleaned it last weekend- not to bad really, just had some dust clumps that prob caused my problems. On easembly it looks to my off by 360 degrees to the computer (i.e. when mechanically centered the steering senor reads 360 not 0

Because of that I was tempted to take it apart again- now I have a lovely altruistic reason.

Edit: look at that Russian link above. Far more useful for repair that any picture of an undamaged board Im going to post-

-rj
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: