Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch cable rub
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject: Clutch cable rub Reply with quote

While laying under my bus last night and avoiding responsibilities in the house I notice that my clutch cable is rubbing on my brake booster. It is routed under a little knob as well, which both look like a great place for chafe. I found a similar thread where someone mentioned this portion of the cable should go through a plastic tube but I can't seem to find this part anywhere.

Is there a designated "plastic tube" part or can I just put something less abrasive around it in this portion? Any advice appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable rub Reply with quote

cable doesn't look routed properly. it should follow the depression in the frame and be above the captured nutsert dingus

you are also missing the booty that goes on the clutch tube

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable rub Reply with quote

There should be a plastic sheath over the cable in that area.
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable rub Reply with quote

So I've been searching here on the samba and various vw parts vendors and can't find any reference to a "plastic sheath" that goes over the clutch cable in this area. Does anyone know if this is an actual part or should I just put any old plastic sheathing over it? Any pictures of what others have? Thanks
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable rub Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
cable doesn't look routed properly. it should follow the depression in the frame and be above the captured nutsert dingus

you are also missing the booty that goes on the clutch tube

Exactly right!

Pictures from a '71. Shows cable routing and also the sheath. Not all cables have the sheath, in fact most do not. The cable in the photo is NOS.

There are three booties on the clutch cable. They are usually all missing! Two of 111 311 113A (or can be a 211 part #) on the cable and one of 311 721 383 where the bowden tube attaches to the metal tube of the frame. Also shown is the spreader that's only found on the early Bay Bus, to '71 (I think?). The cables you can buy now typically don't have the ferrules for this spreader.
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable rub Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll order a the boots, re-route the cable and not worry about the sheath for the time being. When I tried the route that you have pictured the cable then rubbed where it came out of the tube but hopefully the boot will resolve that. I'll also try to bend the tube down ever so slightly and see if that helps. Sure wish the underside of my bus was as clean as the one in your pictures! Thanks again.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable rub Reply with quote

The Bus in the photos was restored. Not many look like that!

Did you replace the brake servo? It can mess with the cable if a 9" unit is installed in a '71-'73 Bus. In your photo the servo looks shiny. It also does appear to be the correct one because the 9" unit wants to hit the round boss that carries the large screw for the beam mounting.
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable rub Reply with quote

It was just rebuilt so I assumed it was the same one I took off and sent away. It's the same size as the one I removed anyway. Apparently this clutch cable rub has been ongoing with the PO as it has worn a nice groove into the capture nut that it is tucked under. Cable isn't damaged yet but definitely want to resolve before I'm under the bus on the side of the road.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: