Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement Identification Number
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Replacement Identification Number Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have a 66 microbus (in Canada) that has an RIN because I have been told, the bus has been stolen to an old lady, and then found. I don’t remember if the insurance company became the owner at some point but I am wondering if anyone has an RIN on his vehicle with no original plates?
The RIN comes from DMV California, I have the RIN# which seems to be the former VIN# and a control #.
Is there any possibilities for a Canadian to request information to the DMV to know the story behind it so it could accompany the bus in its future, and how could I proceed from your experience?

Thanks!
Bruce
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Identification Number Reply with quote

Why would it need an RIN in Canada? Is it because the import papers are made out with it? What does the RIN have to do with the plates? What province are you in?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Identification Number Reply with quote

fokker100 wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a 66 microbus (in Canada) that has an RIN because I have been told, the bus has been stolen to an old lady, and then found. I don’t remember if the insurance company became the owner at some point but I am wondering if anyone has an RIN on his vehicle with no original plates?
The RIN comes from DMV California, I have the RIN# which seems to be the former VIN# and a control #.
Is there any possibilities for a Canadian to request information to the DMV to know the story behind it so it could accompany the bus in its future, and how could I proceed from your experience?

Thanks!
Bruce

No, CA DMV will not tell you what happened and it has nothing to do with being Canadian. All they would have is previous owner info which they will not give out.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Identification Number Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Why would it need an RIN in Canada? Is it because the import papers are made out with it? What does the RIN have to do with the plates? What province are you in?

There are no more plates with the bus, just the RIN in the B post of the driver side door, probably it has been taken when it got stolen.
My understanding is, when there are no more plates, after a steal for example, an RIN can be requested so the car could drive again.
But, you can understand that because I don’t have anymore the VIN plates with the bus, it will become harder to sell it even though I have an RIN that makes it legal to drive and it seems I have the original VIN#.
Next steps would be to ask for a birth certificate from VW just to make sure it corresponds to a velvet green 21 windows.
And just to clarify, I did not buy it in USA, I bought it from someone in Canada that already had the Canadian registration certificate, from Quebec.
fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Identification Number Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

No, CA DMV will not tell you what happened and it has nothing to do with being Canadian. All they would have is previous owner info which they will not give out.

Thanks, that is answer I was looking for. That is too bad, now with the carfax you have all the history of a vehicle but for old cars we cannot get it, even if it is archived somewhere.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Identification Number Reply with quote

" I have been told, the bus has been stolen to an old lady"
something ought to be done about these theiving old ladies! Laughing

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Identification Number Reply with quote

finster wrote:
" I have been told, the bus has been stolen to an old lady"
something ought to be done about these theiving old ladies! Laughing

Haha! Sorry probably my translation is not that great… the bus belonged to an old lady and her bus got stolen from her, otherwise, the scenario is only in the movies Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: