Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let's see your paint!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see your paint! Reply with quote

White shows dirt.

The thing to do is to match the color of your van to the type of dirt or mud where it will be used. e.g. red rocks area ----> rust
LBierens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see your paint! Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Factory Orly Blue Metallic with second owner-added graphics.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

P.S. Nothing wrong with Pastel White... I like it. You could always jazz it up with pinstripes or graphics. Smile

Love Orly Blue! Yours looks great with the graphics too!

I go back and forth on keeping it Pastel White. I do like it somewhat. Thought about doing something more with pinstripes too.
VJP5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see your paint! Reply with quote

"Elmo" - as red as it gets....

Last weekend in San Onofre

Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see your paint! Reply with quote

I’d love to see a black Westy someday.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see your paint! Reply with quote

My 1987 Westfalia Camper GL, only 69K original miles, painted by Hans and Franz in the Hannover factory 34 years ago, Flash Silver...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OzzieJo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see your paint! Reply with quote

This project is still on-going but exterior is mostly complete.

Paint colour is Subaru Lapis Blue Pearl (K3X)

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see your paint! Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
I never considered anything other than the original color [Ivory / Elfenbein]:

I like it but also that decision simplifies repairs. A portion of that side is original, a portion was resprayed 23 years ago and a portion was resprayed 2 years ago. Very hard to tell where one ends and another begins.

The other side and rear gate are all original paint:

Did you do repairs in single stage? Much easier repairs than using clear. It seems so shiny in pics it looks like clear over top.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Walty87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see your paint! Reply with quote

Just had it painted at maaco. I’m pretty happy with the $1600 paint job. We’ll see how long it lasts, but this things a camper. I don’t care if it’s not super pretty…

Maaco said they found an “ivory” color code that was for vanagons in 1984. I asked for an off white lol, but this is good enough for me. Should’ve seen it before haha.. yikes
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see your paint! Reply with quote

Late to the game, as usual!! Smile

Jeep Tungsten Metallic PBM/DRM - crazy amount of prep work but got her super clean and straight. A couple runs to wet-sand and buff out this week, but very pleased with how it turned out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LBierens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see your paint! Reply with quote

Looks nice Leecat! Post some more pictures when you get it a little more put back together please!
goubeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see your paint! Reply with quote

Titian Red Metallic LB3V/W4 with a clear coat.

leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see your paint! Reply with quote

A little more put together! My paint certainly isn't show-quality either, but pretty good - and the fish on our camping/fishing trips won't care. Body is straight as an arrow and zero rust anywhere. Just professionally appraised at $18k - with the interior incomplete, so I felt that was fair. Should be in the mid-20's once it's complete, which is what I'd expect to pay for a refurbed Westy in good shape.

That red metallic is gorgeous - wish I'd started with a red van instead of a blue one!
AceTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see your paint! Reply with quote

TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see your paint! Reply with quote

It was two-toned merian brown and timor beige but I decided to made the whole thing beige instead of changing the color (mostly so I wouldn't have to be all that precise taping the windows! Wink ) I still need to do a little work under the windshield rubber when my new glass comes and there are definitely still dents and blemishes if you look hard enough (the rear edge of the sliding door/c-pillar for example), but it looks a 1000x better than it did and that's all I was shooting for right now. Very Happy

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see your paint! Reply with quote

TomInAlaska wrote:

It was two-toned merian brown and timor beige but I decided to made the whole thing beige instead of changing the color (mostly so I wouldn't have to be all that precise taping the windows! Wink ) I still need to do a little work under the windshield rubber when my new glass comes and there are definitely still dents and blemishes if you look hard enough (the rear edge of the sliding door/c-pillar for example), but it looks a 1000x better than it did and that's all I was shooting for right now. Very Happy

I think it looks great. You should add it to the "Beige Vanagon Appreciation Thread."

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597672&start=120

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kinvolute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see your paint! Reply with quote

This is Heidi. She came back from the paint shop sans bumpers, windows and other trim. I just got the exterior back together.

LBierens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see your paint! Reply with quote

OzzieJo wrote:
This project is still on-going but exterior is mostly complete.

Paint colour is Subaru Lapis Blue Pearl (K3X)

Wow! Gorgeous!
skemems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see your paint! Reply with quote

leecat wrote:
Late to the game, as usual!! Smile

Jeep Tungsten Metallic PBM/DRM - crazy amount of prep work but got her super clean and straight. A couple runs to wet-sand and buff out this week, but very pleased with how it turned out.

Why was the rear window not removed? Eh?
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see your paint! Reply with quote

It's just our camping/fishing van and no WAY was I getting into pulling and reinstalling that rear window - especially as it didn't need rust repair around the glass - after reading other people's experiences with that nightmare.

If it was for resale or a top-dollar restoration, I would have pulled it for sure. But we never plan to sell it and I'm pleased as punch with the outcome. Metallic blue in sunshine but looks black at dusk. Please forgive the lack of bumper ends - they are still new in the bag waiting to go on in spring, along with the smoked grey front markers.

mickowens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see your paint! Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: