Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy (SOLVED)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy Reply with quote

Yay!!!!!!!!

Well done
Sir!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy Reply with quote

Bingo - it's only a bit of ECU slight of hand, and not reality.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy (SOLVED) Reply with quote

Two hundred plus miles including high Nevada desert, Reno traffic (insane!), and 7100' Spooner Summit

All is very well.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy (SOLVED) Reply with quote

Hope it keeps going.
Bosch Pump #1 2,500 miles
Bosch pump #2 (#1 replacement)has to be pushing 25,000 miles by now
Bosch pump #3 pushing 10,000 miles

I do carry a spare now. In my 90 it is my working used 90 pump.
In the 86 it is a brand new German Bosch that BusDepot sent to warranty the dead pump after I had purchased a replacement on the road.
I doubt I’ll ever need it but if I or my Niece happen to stumble upon a stuck Van that needs a pump? TraDaa!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy (SOLVED) Reply with quote

We put the old pump outside last night, hoping more of the smell of gas will dissipate. We're in black bear country, so we hope the smell discourages the bears. ;)

Yes, we'll keep it.
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
RBEmerson wrote:
Good news / bad news

I have a ScanGauge (from GW), and it shows the fuel pressure. According to the ScanGauge, the system's pressurized to 70 psi. Or, the pump's working. Too bad the motor isn't.

About the only loose end is where is the pressure being read? This is the GW EFI, BTW.

As far as I know there is no fuel pressure sensor, so the ScanGauge can't display fuel pressure. Did you install a fuel pressure sensor with the GW EFI? I didn't install a fuel pressure sensor in mine and do not know of any reference to this possibility, nor any wires to attach to a fuel pressure sensor.
Fuel pressure sensor is not in the GW parts list, nor in their wiring diagram.

Also, fuel pressure shouldn't be anywhere near 70psi. More like high 30s psi.

I don't know how, but I'm questioning the idea that your ScanGauge is displaying fuel pressure. You apparently have "70 something", but I can't guess what.
Jim Davis

RBEmerson,

Still curious about why you thought the ScanGauge was showing you 70 for "Fuel Pressure". Did you ever circle back to figure out what this 70 actually is?

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy (SOLVED) Reply with quote

I did. It's a fixed value, used to keep ECU code happy. I have the GW EFI, and asked the designer about the number. Even if the vehicle was bone dry, the ScanGauge would show 70.4 psi.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy (SOLVED) Reply with quote

buy a pack of ziploc FREEZER bags... I think a Qt bag will hold it. but we ALWAYS carry a buncha Gallong ziploc freezer bags..

drop a few paper towels in there and double bag it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy (SOLVED) Reply with quote

Hmmm... I like the idea. We carry ZipLoc bags and blue shop towels.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy (SOLVED) Reply with quote

I mentioned I pumped ATF through mine for storage protection.
ATF smells a LOT better than gasoline!

After draining it I wrapped it in paper towels, double ZipLoc bagged it, thew two spade terminals in the outer bag and stowed it away, hopefully forever.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy (SOLVED) Reply with quote

I like the idea, but it's a challenge when traveling from one state or national park to the next. :)
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy (SOLVED) Reply with quote

don't feel so alone.
I've personally changed 3 fuel pumps on the side of the road on cross country travels in 3 different vans.. one was a New pump that was preventatively changed that failed.
add in another friend who had to have a TAXI (before uber) pick up and deliver a fuel pump to him on his road trip because he was 35miles to (and back) from the nearest town..

there are soo many other things that can go awry.. just had mom's van have it's engine harness burn out the IGN wires. hows your power steering switch wires looking?

it's all in the challenge, the 'sense of adventure'

yeah right...
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy (SOLVED) Reply with quote

Fuel pumps get changed when they demand it.

My point was "mothballing" a pump can be difficult with limited resources, in places not noted for putting up with automotive repair activity.
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy (SOLVED) Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
I did. It's a fixed value, used to keep ECU code happy. I have the GW EFI, and asked the designer about the number. Even if the vehicle was bone dry, the ScanGauge would show 70.4 psi.

Thanks!

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck in Welcome NV - No start - 90 Westy (SOLVED) Reply with quote

Da nada.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: